shatter carts

So open blasting is your “make bho” step. Got it.

1 Like

Yes, it was intentionally vague because their are various methods to procure bho. Open blasting is a viable option, as long as proper safety measure are taken. I don’t advice it for everyone, which is why I didn’t include it in my procedures.

1 Like

I have much experience from 15 years ago open blasting actually…which is why I “get it”

I apologize for getting defensive. Their is much ridicule around open blasting, for very good reason of course. I was taking “got it” as passive aggressive judgement, which I now realize, may have been a poor interpretation.

Open blasting isn’t ideal, it’s simply my best option. I’m in illegalville and my production demands are very small. Largest batch I’ve made was 54 grams, which lasted my family and close friends nearly 3 months

3 Likes

One advantage I have with my closed loop over your open blast, is to be able to cool my solvent to -70 and still move it with compressed nitrogen. I will pull much less unwanteds vs an open blasting situation, which doesn’t require winterizing.

I’m not knocking open blasting, but I understand why one might need to winterize their open blasted oil to get it into a cartridge. If it were out of a closed loop, there would be things one could do to negate the added step of winterizing, as the closed loop offers much better control of the extraction process.

But I’m a redneck moonshiner…so take that into account too lol

you could just chill the column and push solvent over it with no2 still tho no

What’s that now?

you can chill the material column with dry ice and then pass the butane over the -70 material

1 Like

Yes, you can. I dont do that.

That wont work for dudes open blasting though…so what’s your point?

I want a closed loop system. I want to live in a legal state and work in the industry, but my family has me tied down. I have access to farm property in the middle of no where, I can open blast there without issue. The idea of managing a closed loop system out there seems very cumbersome. I don’t trust myself to do it near civilization, not until I’ve gotten many runs under my belt and I feel like I can do it safely.

Ive been using the same $60 dollars worth of glass tubes for nearly a decade now. Winterizing is cheap, I get 2.5 gallons of 200 proof organic non denatured ethanol for >$260, which is enough to last me years. Maybe by the time I’m out of ethanol weed will be legal in my state lol

2 Likes

My point is yes you can do it open blasting lol

1 Like

I’ve seen open blasters with sleeves around the column so you can fill it with dry ice. For the same price of those blasters I just bought ethanol and decided to winterize. I was worried that because those don’t actually pass through a filter medium like winterizing does, that small particles of lipids would still make its way into the oil, but I don’t know

2 Likes

How long does it take for your solvent to fall out of a -70 column into a warm atmosphere? He’s using glass. In my experience it’s really not very effective when compared to running cold solvent, which was my comparison to show the control one would have using a CLS.

1 Like

Good old 80s diamonds champ

Your right dry ice sleeve is not a true dewax

True dewax is an inline dewax

1 Like

Is there really a need to vacuum it if ur gonna decarb? Just get it to an oil and place on hot plate. No need to vac if ur just gonna decard it when done

Now I’m true believer that vaccun can speed the decade process along faster…some would say ur losing terps probably true for non crc. I love crc for capes though. Would always make the best flavored natural carts. I would usually add 3-6% tasteless terps for this thsn load so I could taste the real flavor of the vapes

1 Like

it really doesn’t… only helps with devolatilaztion (which is useful before distillation).

3 Likes

jw but whats the bubbles after heatin and no bubbles then I pull vac and it bubbkes ? Thanks buddy dumb it down some. For us

1 Like

Back when I wrote that, I didn’t decarb my oil. I’m sure it decarbed some while purging with temps that high, vacuum and exposure time. I wanted to preserve some of the natural terps. I’ve since learned and adjusted my process. I let the majority evaporate around 150’f then I’ll pull vac with a diaphragm pump while steadily increasing temps until its fully decarbs. It has speed up the process and decarbed oil functions better in carts.

I decarb under vac to help reduce oxidation and retrain color since I don’t have color remediation equipment. I’ve found that decarbing while exposed to open air darkens the oil. One highlight was when I decarbed under vac, released the vac, got called away before I lowered the temps, a mere 15-20 minutes of oxygen exposure at decarb temp and I came back to noticeably darkened oil. I’ve since run the same oil, lowered the temps prior to releasing vac and it didn’t darken like before. It doesn’t preserve terps like backfilling with nitrogen and purging under pressure, but it does a good job of preserving color

I got a diaphragm pump with a nomex diaphragm for the specific purpose

3 Likes