shatter carts

Why is it that everyone prefers blonds?

Get some color in your life folks!!

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

I use shatter to make my carts. I use winterized, lab tested shatter I pick up at a dispensary. I decarb 2 grams at 240 for ~45 minutes. Add .15ml terps and mix on the hot plate stirrer for 15 minutes. I haven’t noticed any darkening in my end product. Only the lightest of light colored shatter will make something as light as a distillate cart though for sure.

Two kinds of shatter.

11 Likes

Those diamonds are called crack rocks homie lol. Diamond tek from the streets lol.

To the OP…I run cold solvent fast with a nitro push. I usually get a nap/pull consistency with my strains. Once decarbed it can go straight into a 4x2.0mm hole cart or one of ascents full ceramic carts. Never fails. I puff them all day every day.

2 Likes

I’ve actually been making bho carts for over 2 years now. I’ve always made my own carts from flower. I start with the best flower I can find, instant cookies, which returns 31-33%.

To make bho carts you must winterize or use winterized oil! You do not need to decarb, I’ve made them for 2 years and never decarbbed. You can decarb, it will thin the oil, but it also darkens your oil. Winterizing is an absolutely must! If the bho is not winterized, the lipids and fats will separate when you mix in terpens. Once you fill carts with that solution the lipids will settle at the bottom of the cart and clog it, making the cartridge useless.

My steps:
Super dry flower, as dry as possible, make bho
Don’t vac purge, let as much butane evaporate without out pulling vac
Mix in 200 proof organic non denatured ethanol (expensive but worth it, xfb on Amazon) at a 1:1-2:1 ratio. 100ml-200ml for 10g shatter. I usually use a 1.5:1 ratio.
Freeze for 24-48 hours
Winterize and filter with grade 3 filter qualitative papers
Back into the freezer for 24-48 hours
Winterize again with finer filter paper, for this step I use “ Whatman 1810-090 Borosilicate Glass Acid Treated Low Metal TCLP Filter, 0.6 to 0.8 Micron”
Empty liquid onto thick ptfe sheeting, I line a brownie pan and hold it in place with metal clips
Evaporate ethanol- I put the solution into my heated vac chamber without the lid and no vacuum, I’ll run the ceiling fan relatively high to help, I heat the solution to ~130’f and allow the pool of ethanol evaporate
After the liquid is gone and it looks like just oil left, now we pull vac.
I leave the winterized bho into the vac chamber for 96 hours @ 150’f
I leave the chamber sealed and every few hours I’ll kick on the vac pump and continue pulling vac for periods of ~30 min while I agitate the oil. I’ll tilt the chamber and the oil will run around the ptfe, as it runs you will see bubbles coming out, that’s the ethanol evaporation.
After 96 hours the oil no longer reacts when I tilt my chamber, no more bubbles

I then mix in 6% terps and it’s good to go. My solution is super thick, I have to raise the oil temps to around 160’f in order to thin out the oil enough to fill carts.

I’ll post some photos of my final product

1 Like

I’ve never winterized and I’ve never had the problems you attribute to it. But then again you dont decarb…for what reason?

maybe your cold solvent is cold enough to do inline winterizing. many large extractors will sell winterized oil, like getho33 buys. Since im doing open blasting bho tech, im left with lots of lipids and waxes. When oil is waxy and has fats, it must be winterized to remove waxes and fats that will separate in terps and clog the cart.

i don’t decarb because every time i have, its darkens the oil, which i dont want.

2 Likes

So open blasting is your “make bho” step. Got it.

1 Like

Yes, it was intentionally vague because their are various methods to procure bho. Open blasting is a viable option, as long as proper safety measure are taken. I don’t advice it for everyone, which is why I didn’t include it in my procedures.

1 Like

I have much experience from 15 years ago open blasting actually…which is why I “get it”

I apologize for getting defensive. Their is much ridicule around open blasting, for very good reason of course. I was taking “got it” as passive aggressive judgement, which I now realize, may have been a poor interpretation.

Open blasting isn’t ideal, it’s simply my best option. I’m in illegalville and my production demands are very small. Largest batch I’ve made was 54 grams, which lasted my family and close friends nearly 3 months

3 Likes

One advantage I have with my closed loop over your open blast, is to be able to cool my solvent to -70 and still move it with compressed nitrogen. I will pull much less unwanteds vs an open blasting situation, which doesn’t require winterizing.

I’m not knocking open blasting, but I understand why one might need to winterize their open blasted oil to get it into a cartridge. If it were out of a closed loop, there would be things one could do to negate the added step of winterizing, as the closed loop offers much better control of the extraction process.

But I’m a redneck moonshiner…so take that into account too lol

you could just chill the column and push solvent over it with no2 still tho no

What’s that now?

you can chill the material column with dry ice and then pass the butane over the -70 material

1 Like

Yes, you can. I dont do that.

That wont work for dudes open blasting though…so what’s your point?

I want a closed loop system. I want to live in a legal state and work in the industry, but my family has me tied down. I have access to farm property in the middle of no where, I can open blast there without issue. The idea of managing a closed loop system out there seems very cumbersome. I don’t trust myself to do it near civilization, not until I’ve gotten many runs under my belt and I feel like I can do it safely.

Ive been using the same $60 dollars worth of glass tubes for nearly a decade now. Winterizing is cheap, I get 2.5 gallons of 200 proof organic non denatured ethanol for >$260, which is enough to last me years. Maybe by the time I’m out of ethanol weed will be legal in my state lol

2 Likes

My point is yes you can do it open blasting lol

1 Like

I’ve seen open blasters with sleeves around the column so you can fill it with dry ice. For the same price of those blasters I just bought ethanol and decided to winterize. I was worried that because those don’t actually pass through a filter medium like winterizing does, that small particles of lipids would still make its way into the oil, but I don’t know

2 Likes

How long does it take for your solvent to fall out of a -70 column into a warm atmosphere? He’s using glass. In my experience it’s really not very effective when compared to running cold solvent, which was my comparison to show the control one would have using a CLS.

1 Like