Setting for SPD run

I’m finally going to setup my SPD. Been reading these forums for over 2 years and want to add my experiences in the forum for others. More data points right?

Doing this setup with a mixed parts. I initially planned this run in 2018, lost close relatives and had to put this on pause until getting my mind in the learning state again.

Raw product will be extract in closed loop butane. With dewax column with dry ice and ethanol or acetone. Filters going from 100um to 1um at -60C between the material column and collection chamber. Keeping the collection chamber cold and using a heated water with slow temperature increase. That way can only recover a little bit of the butane. Leave enough to make diamonds and easier to pour.

I am doing two extractions for crude. One will be for normal dewax crude and one with cold butane pour in jar for diamond forming. I am planning on trying both cold vs hot jar tek.

My end goal is high end cartridges mainly for family and friends who have developed health conditions from work hazards. I’ve not been able to find any dispensary near me selling same plant flavor+oil or cannabis derived flavors. Just poop imo and sick of that crap in 2018 and I’m disgusted with it in 2020.

My Short path so far:

• 2l SPD full bore with the screw type single cow.
  • 2 5L cold traps with 500ml receiving flask.
  • 2L heating mantle cheap 2018 blue colored one. Will be first upgrade in the future.
  • 1 chemglass oil bubbler with nitrogen backfill connection from mono cow GL connection.
    -Alcatel 2021i with cross KF25 flange + manual vacuum control valve.
    -CPS vg200 gauge

2018 I was an idiot and purchased a CPS vg200. Trying not to purchase a expensive gauge, will try eBay route later.

Planning on getting swing arms from Rocco in the future to test that out. I’ll post photos later when I setup the glass for vacuum leak testing later today.

Things I want to do sometime next month build my own chiller. Trying to find a split air conditioning unit to get most bang for the buck. I notice some people have ran normal aquarium pumps in cold temps. I’m hoping I get lucky and it can withstand -50C.

My gauge does leak still and planning on using swapping the brass fittings. Will plug the gauge after both cold traps. Minimize issues with brass metal contamination.

This is the gauge after about 20 minutes of pump shutdown and gas ballast closed.

Pump goes down to 1 micron and hold steady at 1 for 6 hours.

Did you mention joint grease or joint sleeves?

1 Like

Yep sorry using apiezon 501. For initial testing I’m wasting the Dow high vacuum grease.

Dang. Seems good.

Thread tape on the threaded connections too?

1 Like

Edit: reread the post, problem withdrawn

Why do you have that extra tee/schrader valve? Those things are junk and it doesn’t look to be doing anything for you

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the fittings for this stupid CPS gauge. Had to find a hydraulic to SAE to get it to connect via NPT. Didn’t want to screw up threads so went with exact fit only.

With PTFE on the threads it was able to hold to 1 micron. I’m hoping with being a 2l setup and the leak would happen after the cold traps. The pump will get this going for 1 run. I am looking at eBay but haven’t found a cheap vacuum gauge that would read this low. Nobody selling the used yellow jackets for a fair price.

Just put everything together and have a leak on the GL connection on the monocow. Waiting for my nitrogen fitting adapter for the pressure release setup I want to do and that will be fixed.

Also am an idiot and thought the PTFE adapters with the O rings would self seal and don’t require grease. Looks like they may cause my cheap $100 cold trap has slight uneven 24/40 thread and will probably wrap it in PTFE tape for retest in a bit.

I greased mine (ptfe).

1 Like

Yep I should have done that…GOD DAMN it! I hate having to break all the setup and redoing it. The level of carefulness I have to do is crazy. Can’t smoke before hand cause need my hand/eye coordination.

Random question for folks, why does nobody do something like this for safety on potential glass implosion? Does it mess with distillation? I was planning on doing this to my mono cow + cold traps + distill head.

https://drs.illinois.edu/Page/SafetyLibrary/VacuumSafety

Setup so far. please let me know any glaring issues.

Ditch that crap-tastic mantle. Mine overshot by 25c.

Wrap the bf and head with fiberglass rope or the like. I have a 2l bf and head insulating cover (for sale). Have a heat gun on standby in case you get a clong in the head.

2 Likes

I do have a VWR heated water circulation which will have antifreeze to circulate 100+C.

How much are you asking for the insulation? I see your classified listing and are you still selling the USALab mantle? I’d take both if you got them. DM or reply either way works.

1 Like

I wouldnt use automotive antifreeze.

Glycol and distilled h2o.

I have 3x gallon jugs of glycol and 2 gallon jugs of inland grade 19 vac oil. 1x gal flushing oil also.

1 Like

Does the vacuum connection look good? Wanted to minimize tubing and this would minimize the vibration to the glass. The flexible SS hose will keep it vibrations isolated with the clamp holding the KF flange steady.

Also the bleed valve is nice on that adapter. Easy way to bring air to release vacuum. I’ll setup the clamps and try to get the backfill setup ASAP.

Heres my vac setup. I had the bullseye sensor upside down. Flip it right side up for use.

1 Like

Got everything hooked up. Had to deal up the GL connection due to leaks. I’ll have to find my helium tank to locate the last bit of leak. Holding steady at 17 microns now. I’m going to cut a few of the vacuum hose down to a level that works for me less than 1 ft ideal length for the nitrogen backfill. Currently attached via uncut 10ft hose.

2 Likes

Just wanted to update the post, I’m making my extraction and making the crude steps today tomorrow. Hopefully can get distillation started by early Friday.

Got my gauge and system to seal up. Now at 1 micron with the full setup and once I close the manual vacuum valve I lose roughly 1 micron every 1-2 seconds.

I think good enough for now. Once I can spare some more cash I’ll buy the fancy gauge. Maybe I can get the yellow jacket for cheap.

5 Likes

Run that already.
Lol

1 micron blanked off is great

1 Like