Seperating THC from our CBD distillate

:roll_eyes: guess itā€™s time to go patent scouringā€¦

2 Likes

Theres been a lot of talk the last 3 weeks about separating thc from cbd in many threads. Tou may have to piece tid bits of info together to get what you need.

1 Like

People doing this thc destruction method typically are just baking it at elevated temps and thin films for a while. the secret is the exact temps and good temp distriubution

2 Likes

After a bit of scouring I disagree. The secret is what to add to the mixture when heating for specific times and temps. The information is out there, I just found it in a morning.

7 Likes

Care to share?

1 Like

I will say it has to do with what salts you add to the mixture. Some studies show a series of salts tested and some of them work well to convert nearly all the THCa to CBN and āˆ†8-THC with virtually no āˆ†9-THC. I have to do some experiencing to see which of these leaves the greatest amount of CBD in tact.

10 Likes

Come on give us a hint Where ti search :grinning:[quote=ā€œIntegritylab, post:65, topic:2397ā€]
After
[/quote]

1 Like

Okay okay. Look up analytical testing of methods for decarboxylating cannabinoids. There are a few papers in that pile (not patents, but papers) that you can unlock from sci-hub.tw
Iā€™ll throw you a little bone here as a nice starting point.

13 Likes

You are the man that probably makes 2018 a good year even thou i got a realy good offer from an other forum member
That i accepted
Thank You

6 Likes

I always like how some of the time we donā€™t give each other direct answers on the hard ones. But hints to keep our hungry and minds working. All part of the thrill of the hunt

10 Likes

Well, Iā€™ll be sharing every piece of useful information I come across since this site has been so helpful for me personally and Iā€™d like to give back as much as I can. Not that I expect to be spoon fed. Iā€™m not ungrateful for the hints one bit. Thanks so much for the link @Krative. One thing I found this weekend is why distillate is so prefferable to isolate over isolating straight from crude. This photo is after my first crystallization of crude. 4 rinses later and my yield is atrocious and the crystals are still light tan.

Iā€™m going to try this PH swing method while discarding the organic layer on my next run to see if this improves yield and reduces how many washes are required. I did this with the mother liquor to remove the rest of the cannabinoids and after just one separation the color of what I retrieved from the aqueous layer was heads and shoulders above what the color of my starting crude was.

Counter current seperation - #4 by Future

8 Likes

Thatā€™s also terrible crude. Hot carbon scrub through a D.E. Cake.

Purity is a necessity for crashing. So gotta help it out atleast a little bit.

Notice how our unfiltered stuff looks like yours and is very black? Try crashing stuff that looks like our crude on the right. Would be curious to see results

5 Likes

Is that stuff on the right in a solution or purged out? My extract was with cold etoh (~ -50c) and filtered through a carbon and bentonite cake. The oleoresin was gold/orange and was about that color after removing about 75% of the ethanol, but after reclaiming all the ethanol and decarbing it took on a black color as seen in the photo and I canā€™t figure out why. I also winterized in 10:1 ethanol just to make sure there werenā€™t any waxes pulled and as expected no waxes precipitated or collected onto the paper filter. Iā€™m currently using a vacuum still and not a rotovap if that makes any difference. Iā€™m still awaiting the test results on my final crude, but it was a high enough potency to start crystallizing on its own. Extracted from hemp that was 8% CBD.

2 Likes

I did not winterize with dry ice. I winterized in a freezer at -25c for 2 days.

1 Like

Please do winterize on dry ice for at least 3 hours after letting it sit at -25C for 2 days.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s warm wash. And it wouldnā€™t clear up until we did a hot carbon mixture poured through the DE cake. Made a NIGHT AND DAY difference from doing the carbon scrub even at room temp.

I believe it was final product waiting to go into the short path. The more it darkens up as the ethanol purge means either carbon got though or the scrub wasnā€™t done well enough. Donā€™t get me wrong it will alwaysss darken with ethanol leaving the solution but if it rly rly darkens then ya thatā€™s something I re scrub.

Ya you rly want like -40, but -20 should have done the trick for2 days. Trying pulling more ethanol out of he solution. When people tell me they are winterizing their solution at a proper temp but it still doesnā€™t work, 90% of the time they have left to much ethanol in the solution

1 Like

Stuff wonā€™t crash if it hasnā€™t been winterized properly either. Iā€™m a dipshit so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some cool explanation but crystals HATE fats and lipids

1 Like

Fats and lipids are oils which dissolve cannabinoids and form a thick oily mixture rather than nice clean crystal formations.

2 Likes

Yea, come to think of it I may have been a little too stingy with the carbon fearing Iā€™d fuck up my yield. Iā€™ll keep that in mind the next run, as well as try winterizing on dry ice. Even though Iā€™m extracting at negative 50c, I keep hearing conflicting reports as to the necessity of winterization with cold extractions, so it wonā€™t hurt to see for myself. Iā€™ll also have to pick up a microscope seeing as theyā€™re cheaper than I thought. I highly doubt itā€™s carbon fines making it through bentonite or celite, but it wouldnā€™t hurt to check.

One thing I noticed is a beautiful white layer of what appeared to be fine crystals at the bottom of my boiling flask when I was prepping the solution for recrystallization after pouring off the mother and adding fresh pentane. I turned the stir bar on and heated it for reflux anyway assuming it would just recrystallize that way, but that was a bust. On my next crystallization Iā€™m going to add the pentane to distillate strictly by weight rather than volume, as I may have used too little solvent given that the density is only like .62g/ml and the tek specifically calls for 1g of extract to 2g of pentane.