Seperating THC from our CBD distillate

I would love clarification on this point as well.

1 Like

Well i have something i often winterize between first and second SPD runs and Yes there is still Some Waxes and fats
In Cryo -78C ethanol 96% extracts but just a little

2 Likes

COLD EXTRACT DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN SKIMP ON WINTERIZATIONS!

Winterizing is one of the most key aspects in this process. 1:10 ratio is the largest ratio you can use all the way down to a 1:5 ethanol to solution ratio depending on results. I use 5-10 grams per liter of solution with carbon depending on how gross the solution is. I also make sure to use a slow flow filter (>10 microns ) to ensure it doesn’t get through.

10 Likes

Yeah this

If your winterizing well this shouldn’t ever be necessary as it slows down the process significantly. People also carbon scrub and DE filter between 1st and second. This shouldn’t be necessary if it’s done properly before hand.

1 Like

Are you referring to distillation?

This is enormously helpful for the winterization solvent ratios, as I had previously thought it was 10:1 up to 15:1. I’ll also keep that in mind with the carbon, as I was only using about 2-3g per liter and scrubbing cold.

As for the necessity of winterizing cold extracts, it was explained to me that it’s unnecessary because you simply don’t pick up enough waxes from the plant material to be a problem in the first place if you extract cold enough with ethanol. But Hunter is the second member here who I have seen swear by winterizing cold extractions. And judging by my crude compared to his, I’m going to take this advice and see how much better my crude comes out. Though I’m interested to see how faster coarse filtration methods will affect my wax pickup. Even keeping the solution below -40c directly after you get the majority of biomass off, I would think picking up more and more waxes and junk would be inevitable during the painfully slow vacuum filtration to remove the particulate plant material.

We typically do a 1000% ethanol dilution, but if 500% will suffice for better quality crude, that would be greatly helpful! But for nasty BHO crude that has up to 30% lipid and wax content, I still think you want 1000%.

For carbon or clay, we have always done 5-10% of the original starting crude (post-decarb) weight. So if you are doing a 1000% dilution, that comes out to 5-10g per liter of diluted oleoresin+ethanol.

I will say, some guys I know are doing quick washes with super cold ethanol, never gets warmer than -40C, and the need to winterize is pretty much non-existant! Very clean crude, testing above 70% total cannabinoids.

4 Likes

N B Oler benchtop filters are 3k and are by far your best bet over Buchners. Buchners suck.

I wish to god lab society and all these people would stop telling the public that cold extraction eliminates the need to winterize. That’s a blatant lie or atleast a negligent rumor they’ve made fact.

7 Likes

If you’re clever you can make your own filtration device for under 500

2 Likes

It looks as simple as spools and tri-clamps. Maybe a little tig welding.

That plus a couple filter plates and you’re in business.

1 Like

Where’s is it?

1 Like

So after reading this thread I have a theory…any input would be great.

THC(A) - THC - Decarboxlation
THC - CBN - Oxidation

• Since THC is known to oxidize to CBN during decarboxylation and it is way less stable than CBD. CBD is more of an antioxidant and able to hold degradation a little longer than THC. So is it possible to do an oxidative decarboxylation process and convert the THC-A right to CBN. When you preform the oxidative reaction. A byproduct should be a H20 - meaning that it should help protect the CBD from degradation.

I went and found a few catalyst that could potentially decarb and oxidize the THC and help form a protective layer for the CBD. I was wondering before i go down the rabbit hole further if you could tell me if am going in the right direction.

• Hydrogen Peroxide. This produces H20, decarbs and oxidizes at the same time.
  • Silver Salts - you alluded to salts. I found this as a catalyst to the decarb process. Acidic salts?

With decarbing THC - after 70% has been decarbed. Studies show that you start to see the biosynthesis from THC to CBN. With the right temps, conditions and reactor as “cofactors” could you not use one these catalyst to hit that “tipping point” for the THC to CBN conversion while it’s decarboxylating?

It seems very similar to the pretreatment of lignocellulose bonds for lignin degradation to open up the polysaccharides/monosaccharides for ethanol and other chemical production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated far more than you can imagine.

BM

6 Likes

As far as hydrogen peroxide, can’t add anything to your solution you can’t fully purge. I gotta imagine that’s going to be a bitch to fully remove

this might be an option.

they have smaller ones too. The LS version is about 65K with columns costing ya about 7k per each time you need to place em.

@anon93688 recommended not not to use hydrogen peroxide for it would damage a specific part of the molecule

1 Like

You’re posts are really solid man, please keep them up for the world!

Ah man, the posts are deleted. Did I miss out on some good info?

I agree i saved these post for future refrence and you delete them how so ?