Seeking second opinions plz

My train of thought precisely. Like the coolant is butane in freezer wall the foam is flammable the ethanol bath… yup flammable and then the solvent tank in the moonshine bath… super duper. Probably the most flammable thing I’ve ever assembled. Hearing all these re-affirmations really helps. Cause I voice it and it’s “we gotta make money before we can get that stuff”. Like I want it racked up multiple jacketed material columns hooked up to chiller. Elevated splatter with jacketed hemispherical reducer with a valve on bottom. With a faster pump then a trs21 or dual pumps. But for now jacketed solvent tank /w internal coil, chiller, two coils in a bucket of water with antifreeze or some other non flammable solution. And immediately a new lid with dip tube. Like today.

Lol probably won’t like the answer. Immersion circulator. Two things with 40c. 40 is like 104f and I’m under the understanding you don’t want product anything over 110f if your aim is “stable” shatter. The second is with my cooling situation I felt less heat in is less heat out. But once I get new lid bare minimum I’ll try it.

You need repair work, send them my way. We can get em’ zapped and in the mail probably same day.

I wondered if that was a thing. I feared welding would ruin the temper?. Also had someone tell me you need to drill holes at end of cracks or it spreads even repaired.

Literally russian roulette.
Unplug your freezer.
Transfer your solvent to a recovery tank
Fix and or replace the leaking part.

Describing opening your freezer to the shimmer of it full of butane is insanity, do you hop out onto your hood cruising down the freeway to clean your windshield?

11 Likes

I have when my wipers stopped working… long story.

and I still wouldn’t put my butane in a freezer that’s plugged in.

8 Likes

I want a whole thread of “I did blah blah blah crazy ass thing, but I still wouldn’t put butane in a freezer that’s plugged in.”

4 Likes

I’ve jumped from 1 bed of a truck to another doing about 90 going down I95, in/or around the Raleigh-Durham area… AND I still wouldn’t put butane in a operable plugged in freezer.
And I’m stupid!!!

2 Likes

depends on the material, with ss no. Cast materials like Harley blocks you would need to do drill and pin.

2 Likes

How does a 4” sanitary cap even get a crack like that? It doesn’t look like it’s anywhere near the weld…

This is why ASME doesn’t allow pressure fittings manufactured using plate. Short answer is that there was an inclusion, and likely a bunch of residual stress in the material which then was thermal cycled a bunch. Especially if the inclusion is long and skinny like a crack, they actually can beget a big crack pretty readily.

Oh yeah, and since I’m here I’m gonna hop on the pig-pile and say “you can’t spend the money you saved when you’re dead, and they won’t even be able to pay for a nice casket after your next if kin pay all the liabilities accrued from blowing your ass up”. I figure one more person saying it can’t hurt.

7 Likes

like @SidViscous mentioned, weld inclusion or poor fitup combined with localized stresses, and thermo cycling. Steel grows or shrinks roughly .001 for every 100 degrees f* roughly******
This is alloy dependent. So defects combined with repeated growing/ shrinking broke the weld. The flat surface didn’t help it either, that is were the stresses were the highest.

4 Likes

This! :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Had to top the last crazy thing. At last local using salt ice before freezer. #50shadesofsilver

5 Likes

I love your system

3 Likes

I see room for improvement.

That is an opportunity rich environment.

4 Likes

When ASME goes BDSM…

:wink:

But how long have y’all had her like that? I remember seeing it like this months ago, why no rack yeah for easier assembling etc?

3 Likes

Yeah some very explosive opportunities😅

4 Likes

A loose part blowing off under pressure could send the system flying sideways. I would recommend strapping her down ASAP

4 Likes