Seeking Lab Manager for Extraction/Manufacturing company in Anchorage, Alaska

Some friends are hiring a lead extractor / lab manager for their processing company in Alaska and I want to make sure they get some good candidates - hence this post.

Here is the Indeed job listing and I’m going to summarize and expand on some aspects in this post.

https://www.indeed.com/job/marijuana-lab-manager-b1babe54d97005e8

If you are interested, please email a resume/CV as well as a short cover letter to: info@akgreengrowcer.org

The job is located in Anchorage, Alaska. Ideally they’d like someone currently living in the area but they are willing to consider applicants outside of Anchorage and Alaska. The job is full time.

The company has a manufacturing license and an active retail store front. The lab side of things is well equipped and pretty much ready to go.

Primary extraction method will be hydrocarbon. The company has a Bizzybee Hexapod.

Ideally the candidate will have some butane extraction experience and be comfortable safely running the CLS.

Also the candidate should be familiar with the pre and post processing associated with this extraction method (winterization, use of rotovap, etc.) as well as vacuum distillation (the company has a nice Summit 5L with an e2m40 + roughing pump).

Responsibilities: Basically what you would expect for lab manager and lead extractor. The main ones are below. And you can find some more in the Indeed description.

• BHO production (running CLS, maintaining and cleaning equipment, etc.)
  • Post processing of oil (winterization, etc.)
  • Vacuum distillation of crude oil (SPD)
  • Writing and maintaining SOPs for various aspects of production
  • Required to follow all industry regulations
  • Keeping lab space clean and organized

Qualifications:

• Passionate & Driven
  • Experience operating BHO extraction equipment (BizzyBee experience a MAJOR plus)
  • High school diploma or GED
  • Proven to be 21+ years of age w/ valid ID
  • Quick learner and ability to think quick on your feet
  • METRC experience is a plus
  • A valid marijuana handlers card / food handler card
  • Some background in chemistry is ideal
  • Open availability with flexibility on abnormal hours
  • Ability to work well with others
  • Sound knowledge of cannabis strains and their effects / benefits.
  • Proficiency in general computer skills (Google Sheets/Drive experience a plus)
  • Outstanding organizational skills / attention to details
  • Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
  • Effective communication skills
  • Ability to calculate basic equations

I know there’s some debate as to whether salary should be listed in a job posting. I won’t be listing a range here b/c it’s not my company and I don’t know exactly where they are on that and don’t want to give any false info, but I believe that the right candidate will be well compensated.

I’ll update this thread with more info as I think of it.

2 Likes

Post compensation information, including relocation :grin:

3 Likes

Ok, will edit thread when I have numbers.

@Capttripppp

11 Likes

Was just about to tag him.

3 Likes

I shall check it out! Thanks for the thought!

9 Likes

@Capttripppp 100% is ready for a good opportunity. Would like to see him put Alaska on the map.

6 Likes

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS LADY !
She still owes me 2,600$ from being employed by Green Grocer
This lady has a VERY BAD reputation in Business around the anchorage Area

5 Likes

If you would like to hear the story about the person that she had moved from the East Coast promised him a certain amount of money and then when he got here he did back to back back to back work just to be hung dry and sent home to the East Coast zero money from an opportunity that was supposed to be so good.

3 Likes

No need for ig, spill the beans right here! We love hearing about scamming business owners. Save someone else the pain and trouble you’ve experienced. I’m all :ear::ear:

11 Likes

I was considering tossing my name into the mix, but not if that’s how they do business. Please share a bit more here. No need to go to ig for the story. This thread should work just fine.

6 Likes

My personal experience, I was hired this summer/fail as the lab manager , as it’s not even approved and still missing a lot to be a fully operational lab I was creating a list n finishing out her sons list that was the original extractor for the place. She has also kicked him out of the mix.
She wouldn’t hear anything I’d say. Even if I showed her the text from Boris him self.
She has a nice c1d1 room with a bizzybee that her son picked out.
They didn’t really understand how to hook it up lol wouldn’t hear about why you needed a wall plate for steam n vacuum chiller + it was a constant battle,
I’d get calls to come to the shop early morning after just getting home 3 hours before from my other lab job would rise from the dead to accommodate because hey that’s my job I show up to “hey can you put together these retail cabinet?”
Or going to lows to pick up imaginary pick orders,
When it came to getting pay my first check was half cause she spent millions and couldn’t give what she agreed on and I kinda knew how this was going to play out right then n there.
So I gave half my time, she didn’t like that. Told me “ I’m not excited to work for her” and let me go
And honestly I should have know. Still feel like a fool.
I know a gentleman that made edibles years ago he left Alaska n moved to the east coast became a night time chef doing what he loved, he took a job with green grocer early summer before anything was done or really even started he showed up to build out he created a menu to cook , he maped it all out built it shit even dug the trench for the 3phase and when it came down to her giving him the lump some to move the rest of his family up she said no why would I pay you I can do this all my self thur out her son n this gentleman from green grocer

7 Likes

The list goes on n on.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. Glad to hear you aren’t still stuck there and your friend (hopefully) made it back to his family! Looks like I won’t be sending out my resume. Bummer.

5 Likes

Ahhh, I hadn’t realized that it was Green Growcer! Yeah, that lady is totally BAD news! I’ve heard nothing accept for horror stories. There was a big hullabaloo about them, and covid among other things. I have heard nothing accept for horror stories about that place. I’ve been by it a few times, but have never gone in. Let me check around to see what other stories I can track down about that place.

7 Likes

Pease do share. I’m only familiar with the covid article in the paper which doesn’t really bother me all that much, as I couldn’t care less about covid.

I was offered to work there apparently after honeypit. I had accepted the job and had to ultimately turn it down a couple weeks later because my girlfriend was much less interested in moving than she let on.

When I toured the space I asked who set this up because they picked out good equipment and they said their first guy who didn’t end up working out because he wouldn’t show up to work regularly. So it’s good to have some backstory.

My impression of the owner has always been super positive. She has always been super nice to me and it’s hard to imagine her having such a dark side. But people can be good at keeping that hidden.

4 Likes

There’s even rumors that her last place where she was forced out of she would turn the water off to the grow so it wouldn’t be able to water and die so she could buy it for penny’s on the dollar :man_shrugging: After working for her I don’t doubt it.

She’s sweet to your face and ruthless behind your back.

3 Likes

Honestly from reading the above description from @Honeypit, my take-away from it was less that she had a “dark side” and more that there were some serious misunderstandings about what the job would/should be (on both sides).

I’ve seen this before where folks get hired on for Lab Manager positions and expect the owners to put the keys to the castle in their hands from Day 1 and feel slighted when that doesn’t happen. On the other hand, I’ve seen plenty of owners that have unrealistic or uncommunicated expectations of the Lab Manager and do not respect the limited-scope of their job description. They often use language like “Must be highly-motivated” or “have a can-do attitude” and I do notice on the job description for this job in big bold letters in the first spot “Passionate & Driven” which sets off alarm bells to me about being expected to work outside your job scope.

I will say, withholding pay is a huge no-no, but I’d be interested to hear the other side of the story in that regard. Employment comes with a contract and if she isn’t honoring the contract then that seems like a pretty open and shut case for wage theft.

3 Likes

100% I’m not gonna lie I was not there all the time as it was not approved and I would get fought on everything that needed to be done to pass inspection I was also running two other labs as I was setting that lab up with what more it needed.
When the contract kept getting pushed off so did the time and the list of things I would give up. I have nothing to hide

3 Likes

Dude that sounds 100% like a conflict of interest and I don’t doubt the lady got shitty with you (not that it justifies it). IDK the details of what you agreed to, but it sounds like there was some serious miscommunication on everyone’s part.

If I owned a lab and I found out my manager was also running 2 other competitor labs I would seriously doubt my manager’s motivation to get my shit up and running.

This just reinforces my original thought that the situation wasn’t that one-sided.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I wasn’t there obviously and don’t take this as a knock to you personally or anything. I’m just saying how it smells to me based on the limited info.

2 Likes