Seeded hemp extraction

I’ll come get the spent stuff if you want. You’re in Eugene right? On the pellet/milling subject. I’ve seen those hammer mills kief the hell outta everything too. Don’t you just think a simple plant break up is best caylexes intact? Then give a pack?

2 Likes

I’ll take whatever @champone won’t! He did beat me to it…

Scratch that. While we could probably pick it up now, I need to organize a few things for it down here.

@cyclopath Did you ever end up running pellets in your fuge? I may have some coming in and would like to have at least somewhat of an idea of what I’m getting into.

yes and no. facility with pellets did run them. and through a fuge.

they did not extract in the fuge, and I was not privy to the results.

pellets were extracted in bags in a reactor, then transferred into a Bock to “dry” them.

1 Like

Pelletizing is for after everything is gone and feeding it to the cows :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s no joke - as we increase our operations scale pelletizing the output in order to save floor space is going to become a very necessary part sooner rather than later. As is one tall supersack can hold about 4x the weight in pellets that a normal size supersack holds in flower/bud from what I’ve seen on the incoming biomass side.

@cyclopath any ideas of extraction efficiency on pellets from that other operation? From what little I’ve run them we found that using our normal cycle/agitation times that get good yields from flower got us about 20-25% of the expected cannabinoid yields from pelletized biomass. We had to further size reduce the pellets in a hammer mill and extract again on that batch to get reasonable extraction efficiencies.

I’m curious if longer cycle times with whole pellets actually gets you anywhere close to extracting efficiencies on flower does or if size reduction is necessary on pelletized biomass.

So if I’m seeing a lot of seeds in some biomass I’m going to end up with less potency in my oil or the seed oil won’t allow it to crystallize?

Def a possibility

If you ferment your seeded hemp and extract it with ethanol at room temp, then polish it and distill-

you will get a very loose oil that cbd will crash out of at room temperature, even in very low concentrations.

Probably useful to someone trying to make money on hemp.

I’m retiring from this shit.

7 Likes

I never got to see the yield numbers on that pelletized material…but I believe your analysis is on point based on my observations.

Use ultrasound to break up the pellets and make slurry, increase extraction efficiency.

That’ll be $500.

Holy dead thread batman!

I’ve touched on this in other threads, but we found out that the pelletized material we saw horrible yields on was overcompacted using a pellet mill made for sawdust or hops. We eventually ended up hammer milling it back to small pieces, adding a little water, recompacting using a lower compaction pellet mill, spreading out to dry and then extracting, but with the additional labor necessary & given what the client wanted to pay to have it extracted, it wasn’t a real lucrative venture for my extraction business.

@Rowan Filtering & pumping slurry is a real bitch. Ask me how I know. Though you’ve nailed the typical attitude for a consultant.

2 Likes

Anyone have any luck with removing hemp seed oil with distillation? What temp would it distill out at?

How did you extract?

See @Roguelab‘s post above

When we were doing testing on hops pellets we had good luck running them through a regular old feed mill to break them back up. Not sure if hemp would behave the same but probably worth a shot considering the mill we used was like $100 and handled 1000lbs of hops seeds in a day. Definitely more economical than a hammer mill

I will be extracting with an extract lab 140 CO2 extractor and winterizing with ethanol before performing distillation

Gotcha. I ask because I recall someone posting data in one of the “seeded hemp” threads where they extracted seeds only with ethanol (probably -40, not certain) and got essentially zero yield.

CO2 will probably strip those seeds quite effectively…

You might want to stage your winterization eg: rm temp, then -20, then -40 or whatever you’ve got.

Edit: found the thread Sift Seeded bud before turning into distillate? seem to have merged a couple of data points over the years

1 Like

e’ve been making feed with the spent biomass, for horses for example. This spent material still has enough content to be beneficial. However the problem with pellets is that they all seem too produce too much heat (even through just the pressure) and it lowers the efficacy. Ive been looking at alternative solutions, either new pellet machinery or even looking at bolies, you know, that they use for fishing bait?

Its something I need to get on top of before Autumn really

1 Like