Seeded hemp extraction

Processing various clients hemp into oil, I’m seeing more and more seeds in hemp from Oregon. Planning to make isolate and full spec thc free distillate, and want to discuss best methods for dealing with the seed oil. I know seed oil inhibits crystalization, or at a minimum slows it down. Has anyone discovered or created a method for large scale removal of seed oil? My plan is to triple distill the crude in hopes of significant removal but I know some still comes along for the ride.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

1 Like

How many lbs at a whack?

1600 lbs/day biomass, scaling to 3200 lbs/day shortly.

Well you can use a thresher but it kiefs the heck outta everything anything to remove seeds kiefs the product. If if kiefs what you’re after it’s a win

Thanks. I’m mostly concerned about removal from oil. Any ideas?

Implement processes to pull the seeds out before extraction. Should be inherant to any scaled process. Then you can sell those seeds for foodstuffs/ further processing

3 Likes

Thanks. Any leads? I see PureHemp using a tractor-driven thresher on full stalks. Most of the material I’m working with has already been chopped down into buds. Will the thresher still work?

Suddenly making bubble hash first begins to make sense…

Because anything that knocks off seeds also knocks off trichomes

3 Likes

A thresher works great. But like I said it knocks off a lot of cbd when u thresh

Like a lot I threshed oh around 200lb got 20lb if kief

1 Like

Process the kief instead bud. I believe Cyro is stating if your trying to remove the seeds just collect the kief that is where the medicine is. There are problems using pure kief but there are ways to get creative to prevent clogging

1 Like

@Roguelab?

1 Like

Seeds Will always dillute your crude with Some hemp oil
I remove seeds as much as possible
With the vacuum cleaner de seeder i achieve 80% the seeds that remain are flufy seeds that don t have much oil in them
I am trying now to distill under high vacuum and that seems to work also
So i distill at around 20 microns and at that vacuum iT seems the hemp oil comes out around 120/130 C.
I have No in house analitics
But this i find after real thorough cleaning of My crude
So Winterize , Carbon scrub ,Brine wash
Hexane methanol water 3% llc
De gum citric acid and finaly Decarb
I know keeps You Busy but i yust love playing around :grinning:

4 Likes

I was simply stating that when you remove the seeds you unintentionally kief your material

2 Likes

Yep. We’re debating if that’s a bug or a feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bug in my opinion. I have around 20lbs of kief I’m debating mixing in with spent material. I hate working kief. And after running through a thresher it’s not true kief. It’s the tons of tiny plant particle kind.

1 Like

It needs solved. I think my fuge will work. It’s not 1st on my list next week. It is definitely after trying pelletized input. We’ll see.

1 Like

How do the pellets work? I know one can fit more that way 3:1 but wouldn’t it limit where solvent can strip to not be in contact too long ?

I’ve achieved 86% total cannabinoids (80% CBD) from a single pass, not winterized, seeded hemp extraction. And because it was such a small batch in a large distillation apparatus, I intentionally collected the end of the terps/heads fraction with the main body of cannabinoids.

Heptane recrystallization yielded about 70% to CBD isolate. I’d bet if I play with the heptane solution, I could get the last 10% of it out.

2 Likes

Probably. Got literally a ton of it. And tons more if I can make it work. Looks easier than the milled dust in the next bin over, but I’m kind of dubious on both with the equipment I have on hand.