Scaling Pectin Gummy

I’m currently trying to figure out the best hot plates or induction hot plates for cooking gummies at a large scale. We don’t want to use a gas stove top to avoid having to install a hood. I’m wondering what everyone is using? The problem we run into is that there aren’t many hot plates that can accommodate a large stock pot (40qt). I ordered a 12x12 and 24x24 hot plate from the lab depot here, https://www.labdepotinc.com/p-61369-largest-hotplates

It just takes forever to come up to temp and hit our target brix. Our current batch size is around 16kg and I’d like to be able to take it up to around 26kg per batch. I’ve looked at kettles but is there another alternative? I know we could do multiple small batches, but I’d rather do multiple large batches!

Thanks everyone in advance, happy to be here!

1 Like

@darkcitymolds publicly endorses these pretty frequently

Breville|PolyScience the Control Freak Temperature Controlled Commercial Induction Cooking System https://a.co/d/ez9U8UQ

1 Like

Coming from a chef/commercial restaurant perspective, you’re going to have trouble heating anything in a 40 qt pot quickly and efficiently on an electric induction burner, not to mention the weight limitations on them. I would think a large electric steam jacketed kettle is your best option for that batch size. you can probably find 2 used units on a restaurant equipment auction site for the cost of 1 of the breville control freaks, which only accommodate up to a 10 or 12 inch pot I think? I think we paid about 600.00 for a 20 qt electric steam kettle.

4 Likes

A brew kettle might be a good candidate?

We looked into these. I wish they made a larger one that could accommodate larger pots/ more weight.

Another good tip would be to wrap your whole pot in insulating rope or if you wanted to be real spicy hook up a PID controlled barrel heater to it

BEAMNOVA Metal Drum Heater 110V Pail Heating Band for 55 Gal Barrel 5 * 68.5 inch Honey Oil Silicone Rubber Heating Band Heavy Duty Temperature Controller https://a.co/d/bV1OfZi

4 Likes

If you are using such a large pot, I might suggest a band heater. You can get them from mcmaster-carr usually 1 or 2 day shipping, they are usually in stock.

If you are happy with the induction burner you currently use, and it can handle the size pot, then the next course of action would to be increasing the surface area of your formulation where heat is applied. I think if you just wrap a band heater around your pot and use an overhead stir motor to ensure the whole pot is constantly mixing, I think you will see a very improved time to temperature.

edit @ky_cbd beating me to the punch

3 Likes

I use a commercial brand rosewill 1800 watts with a 20 qt pot for a sous vide. The amt of time to heat up to boiling pt wasn’t too bad. Old job did the same when making pectin gummies. That amt of volume takes time no matter what.

For that big of pot, you can prob run two ovens back to back.

1 Like

way too big for a hot plate I’d think… time to get into the big boy toys.
kettle cooker ftw

Welcome to the future @augustw!

2 Likes

Never thought of using a barrel heater, good idea. I think we are gonna get another hot plate, with those barrel heaters. That way I can stagger three batches at a time. With a stirmate for each pot my hope is to accomplish what three kettles could accomplish without the cost. Eventually we will upgrade to some nice kettle cookers hopefully.

Thanks for all the help everyone!