Roto mineral oil

What does everyone use for a brand of mineral oil to decarb in a roto? Who sells it?

@TrueTerpenes sells mineral oil under there viscosity label. It might cost a bit to fill your roto bath though.

7 Likes

Dynalene HT or dynalene sf

1 Like

BOOOOOM

all jokes aside, I would be looking for a heat transfer fluid that does not mind being in open air, the stuff carbon chemistry sells may work, otherwise the stuff that seems specifically designed to do the job would be Dynalene 600

2 Likes

It’s just so expensive!!

Edit: Dynalene SF looks pretty affordable actually. In addition to roto use, this is probably good for hot condenser too?

Duratherm s. Call there office and theyll give you there distributor’s and youll get it for way cheaper than anything else. Been using rhe same 10gallons for yrs.

1 Like

Note that most open bath thermal fluids, regardless of cost, are pretty bad for your lungs at the temps we crank our rotos up to. I’d be inclined to install a vent hood or at the least, exhaust fan over your roto bath regardless of whether you go the cheap route (white mineral oil) or the expensive route (dedicated thermal fluids like Dynalene and Duratherm)

2 Likes

I would actually recommend glycerin for an open heat bath. It has a high flash point (177C), doesn’t cause exogenous lipoid pneumonia, mixes with water so it’s easy to clean, and I’m pretty sure its cheaper than anything else.

(Edit): Plus it has a high density (1.26 g/mL) so it is more buoyant and your flask won’t sink as much.

Or polyethylene glycol.

2 Likes

safflower