Rosin press wheezing

Got a pretty new press, only run it about 20 times, and now I’m getting a hiss from what I can only assume is the hydraulic pump… where should I start on repairing this? Since it happened my yield is way down so I’m assuming it’s not applying full pressure.
Wish I could give more details on the press but it was gifted, and there’s no real branding or anything on it. Happy to provide photos if that helps at all. Really want to get my boy running again, I’ve got some bubble hash drying which I was planning to run soon :frowning:

Be super careful repairing hydraulic leaks. Hydraulic fluid can fuck you up real bad when under pressure

8 Likes

What type of press? A lot of the smaller ones are just bottle jacks. If that’s the case, can’t you just get one with similar specs and dimensions and replace it instead of try to repair?

See my dads hand…

Shit still hasn’t healed all the way…most def left permanent damage. Really fucks with him in the cold. Anything below 50f and his hand is basically worthless

6 Likes

What was he working with/any idea of the PSI on that accident? Holy shit so fucking glad the dude still is alive!

3 Likes

Skid steer hydraulic lines.

Had gloves on an everything…just a freak accident is all we can make it out to be. Got a Pinhole right where he was holding the line. Fluid shot through the glove and into his hand.

5 Likes

Holy shit.

Glad he’s ok. How did his hand recover?

It’s workable. But not the same.

2 Likes

The points about being careful are smart. The point about replacing the whole bottle jac if possible is probably your best hope. If it’s not a swappable unit, you might want to just take it to a hydraulics place. The concept of working on them is not hard, but pressing everything back together is a nightmare that requirements, well, a press…

2 Likes

Sounds like you may have air in your lines.

3 Likes

Anyone working with rosin presses - MAKE SURE YOUR HIGH PRESSURE LINES ARE PROPERLY THREADED!!!

To be absolutely honest - most any of us working with rosin have no reason to go over 2k on the plates really outside of mechanical separation and even then there’s not a WHOLE lot more pressure you need to go over. There’s a real good reason the BVA cylinders and the lines on both sides are threaded. When I built my press I went to a hydraulic shop in the area where they deal with some real heavy duty shit like what @Pupparoo was talking about and they didn’t even STOCK lines that could handle that level of pressure. Would have been a whole special order.

That is the average PSI of a power washer which will FUCK you up - now your average BVA cyl. will go up to 10,000 PSI of pressure on the plates which probably isn’t the pressure in the lines but is probably surpassing the 2k-2800 PSI. Someone with more technically oriented hydraulic experience could probably say closer to what it is but yeah. Hydraulic shops don’t even stock the fittings we’d use for hydraulic presses and I live in a very industrial city.

Food for thought.

2 Likes

As I said before: pressure scares me

1 Like

That hand doesn’t look good,glad it better…