Rosin Fractioning / Rosin Carts

after heat treatment in sealed container, the oil will not revert back to the budder state in the pen?

I personally wouldn’t advise people on the internet to decarb in a sealed container in their kitchens.

9 Likes

LOL theyll figure it out after that first pop. I think the goal tho isnt to decarb fully if at all.

Im not a rosin maker, so take this with grain of salt:
From the looks of the process in the vid linked above, its about 1/2 of the process some dude on IG shared for taking budder type rosin and turning into a saucy consistency also growing THCA crystals (just spent 10min tryna find the name on IG cause he spelled it all out at a time when it was not widely known) - He would heat rosin in closed jar in oven around 120C till bubbles filled half the body of oil, take off heat then cool to room temp, open and whip, then close jar and put on low heat like 40C for a week. Pretty neat tek and i have cross applied it to already purged BHO and got similar results. Fun to crack that jar while its still hot - hash volcano -
Im sure there is some decarb occurring, but have wondered what else was changing within the extract matrix to cause the change in physical appearance.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of some ppl not decarbing w/ heat. But using centripetal force for live Rosin carts

2 Likes

@SubstituteCreature have you experimented with this tek?

A bit but there’s a lot of waste involved - super full flavors but the thca chunks get set to the side so unless you have a market for that it’s a lot of stuff that’ll collect dust and need terps later on

4 Likes

I have been pulling 60-65% THCA and 30% Terp.n 3-4% loss.

Some strains taste right after decarbing.

Flavor is degraded in SAP, but separated terp fractions are almost identical to the rosin flavor.

I wouldn’t use this tech with strains that taste great as SAP. You’d ne amazed how string the terps are. But it’s perfect for strains that taste great as rosin but are not so good as SAP.

9 Likes

Have you tried hearing your hash rosin slightly then putting them in a 15 micron filter bag then placing the bag in a 50ml test tube and folding the opening of the filter bag around the lip of the test tube and then using a centrifuge to separate the terp fraction from the THCa fraction?

4 Likes

Yes but the issue is keeping it heated for me - it needs a slightly higher operating temperature to loosen it up and I’m hesitant at blasting my heat gun directly in there :blush:

6 Likes

Makes complete sense! I’ve heated my rosin and rosin bags to about 110-120ish before then immediately placing the rosin inside the bags and the bag inside the tube and then doing centrifugation on everything. You shouldn’t have much heat loss during centrifugation because during centrifugation you’re already generating heat due to the centripetal force and air flow.

1 Like

You can also use a refrigerated centrifuge! There’s some on the market that go from -20C to 100C.

6 Likes

You may be unclear on the meaning of refrigerated…

Same fuge, same tubes, same speeds and times; the refrigerated version will NOT get any HOTTER than the non-refrigerated version. Because by definition, it gets cold.

If you are spinning hard enough and long enough to generate 110C, then the refrigerated version will be able to hit 100C, but if @SubstituteCreature’s fuge is not getting hot enough, adding refrigeration sure as hell isn’t going to solve it.

5 Likes

You’d be turning maple syrup into damn near rock candy if they were to go that direction :wink:

3 Likes

Bro take the fuge apart and put a heat mat in there :sweat_smile: here I go again.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hey there,

We actually made a guide recently on how to make rosin carts!

Here is this link: How to Make Rosin Cartridges | Gutenberg's Dank Pressing Co

Please let us know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Yes, my question is regarding your winterizing sop
“When it is complete, the rosin should be free of Everclear and flow similar to water.”

Why would a winterized extract that’s full purged at 200f flow like water? I think that you are referring to the hot extract?

6 Likes

My question is, did you guys make a guide recently on how to make rosin carts?

1 Like

9ae84588-0a7d-4a08-b590-9641a941dbbb_text

tenor (10)

You’re introducing a solvent to a solventless cart? I mean the alcohol itself - to me adding terps to a rosin cart is putting a hat on a hat too though. If you’ve done your job you’ve retained the flavor and essence (pretend I said that in frenchy’s accent) of the input material - adding additional flavors is like adding too many colors into a custom mixture of paint - it just comes out brown and bland unless you literally get rid of all the terps in the mix so you’re starting out with a blank slate. Also water-like consistency? First off if you’re making rosin charts chances are you’re working with an elevated intake hole (huh huh huh…hole) so that will run straight through it and it will not be pretty nor will people be happy. You are looking for a maple syrup in a warm room (store bought not that weird runny crap that won’t give me diabeetus) consistency for it to behave as bb jesus intended.

Praise yashshashashashashash

15 Likes