Rio Dell Hemp Moratorium PLEASE HELP!

Below is my speech to the town against the hemp ban.

(Any comments are appreciated)

Hello, And thank you all for your time and attention today.

The emergence of hemp cultivation has reignited hope for many people locally and with Popular Mechanics predicted that hemp would become America’s first “billion-dollar crop.” and with compounds like CBD and CBG, popular non-psychoactive compound touted for their medicinal benefits its easy to see why.

Now with hemp resurging in cultivation and production, care must be taken to conserve the genetic diversity to ensure the long-term survival of the crop. Hemp and cannabis are from the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa, but from different varieties or cultivars. We sympathized with cannabis grower’s concerns as we face many of the same.

The city already has laws around cannabis cultivation, Those will be a useful guide for coming up with hemp regulations. I propose additional and necessary protections, including allowing only female hemp plants as a means of preventing pollen drift. Please consider making legal adjustments to the moratorium that would be fairer to growers who have been operating since before the ban.

There are 3 registered hemp growers in the county, we are not the only one frustration at the possibility of losing our business. iCannBe is going to have 20-40 people lose their job and I don’t even know what my future is going to be like anymore because of this moratorium. We have already invested over 2 years and so much money into this project.

We are urging you today to grant renewals to those with licenses or create exemptions for existing growers. The ban will kill our business. We cannot operate during a moratorium, we would have to shut down.

Rio Dell must be committed to including equity as a key consideration as we transition the cannabis industry to legal status. Rio Dell needs a land-use policy that makes sense for our existing residents and considers the unique needs and assets of our community. A hemp moratorium contradicted the advocacy of the local agriculture industry and would only benefit new residents.

We should not rob and be punitive to our farming community. I think you can have it both ways.

Thank you again for your time and attention today.

Christopher Cortazar

1 Like

Rio dell here in humboldt

2 Likes

Edit: didn’t realize where you’re located. My first thought was you were in an area that was just anti-cannabis. Not pro-cannabis, anti-hemp. That makes me a little biased given the reasoning for why they wanted the moratorium. Pollen sucks.

5 Likes

@Concentrated_humbold Yes, but we are prepared to control our polling drift as any good farmer should.

@stoopkid Thank you very much I appreciate the feed back I will make some eddits.

@stoopkid and your so right pollen sucks. But I’m just as worried about my crop becoming cross-pollinated with high THC and me failing the field test

Herb is “grandfathered in” there, hemp aint and they both can’t be in the same spot for the reasons stated. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

This is very confusing. How would being pollinated with thc pollen cause you to fail a field test? You’re not going to have thc in your flowers from being pollinated

6 Likes

you would have a seeded crop with possible high thc genetics…which might not be a bad thing for a company that only sells D8 products…

3 Likes

I’m not convinced by the argument that cross pollination will lead to an increase in thc on the plant which was pollinated. To me it makes more sense that the tac will rather be reduced, possibly leading to compliant hemp. If you plant the seeds from such pollination you will have problems being compliant. I’m happy to be corrected.

1 Like

I would think that the reduction in your target compound after pollination will be the primary concern if you are extracting cbd or cbg

1 Like

@Apothecary36
With testing allowing for less then .03 thc I am scared if my plant become pollinated they will produce less oil. Not only is that bad for my total oil production but I’m scared that juts by lowering my CBD or CBG numbers this may push my thc even a hair causing me to fail a field test.

@Killa12345 unfortunately we are not able to extract delta 8 from thc on a economic scale yet but hopefully one day.

How do you extract d8 from any plant. Don’t you have to convert to d8?

3 Likes

@Lucernifer I am not positive but even a small change in thc levels can cause a fail.

If my CBD levels go down but my thc stays the same that may cause my total % to change enough that causes a fail. But I’m not 100% of this but it’s juts my theory.

1 Like

So you live in a place where your business could cause millions of dollars in damage to surrounding farms with pollen, but they’re the bad ones for not wanting you to grow hemp?

Just leave that shit for the Midwest or grow from clones somewhere else

5 Likes

The plants we have come across with delta 8 present have such small quantities that extraction would not be cost effective. It’s more cost effective to isomerize it from CBD.

do you have tests showing this… i havent seen any COAs with d8 present naturally on cannabis sativa of any kind… this would be great.

4 Likes

I was one of the first operating farms in the area. I am also taking all the precautions to prevent pollen drift. Such as female only crops.

2 Likes

We have not tested in our own lab but I will ask for the coa. We would absolutely love some solid genetics with delta 8 rich plants and and are still looking to add it to our stock.

1 Like