Ring Grants *MORE* Access to Law Enforcement

Federal offense. You interfere with ‘potential’ emergency communications.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time

4 Likes

Did you see the glasses that when seen on a camera white out your face.

4 Likes

It’s a device that isn’t picked up easily by traditional RF analysis due to being completely passive. One of the most successful bugs ever placed, since it took so long to discover and it was in a very sensitive place.

6 Likes

Pretty sure if you put outward facing infrared LEDs in your hat brim it will achieve that at night, assuming that’s how the camera in question is able to see you

3 Likes

They make these ridiculous LED bar clips for the brim of your hat that works fucking perfect for this. High intensity light cripples cameras. In another life I was a graffiti asshole and heard those people use laser pointers to disable cameras :wink:

4 Likes

Note to self: anyone using a Theremin is a fucking spy

6 Likes

Well, both Google and Amazon have gotten in trouble for letting employees listen in, all of your usage with it is recorded so even if there isnt anything suspect right now (which there is), a hack or leak could put that data in bad guys hands.

you would show up as a giant glowing bubble of radio interference likely. There are even systems to use wifi signals to identify people by their movements, even if they dont have a phone or wifi device, https://thenewstack.io/researchers-use-wifi-waves-identify-people/ to which you would definitely set it off. Better option would be to use a device with a removable or otherwise physically controlled wifi module and simply disable it when thats a concern.

Mhmm, this. Anyone can install a proram like Wireshark that will show you all the packets going and coming to your computer. It is hilarious to see chunks of data transmit back home when doing simple things like clicking around the start menu or opening a program. Freaking everything is tracked.

11 Likes

My box stops this.

2 Likes

Absolutely! EVERYTHING

But a picture is worth a thousand words and local law enforcement doesn’t have access to your phone. NSA, Justice Department, Homeland Security, CIA, FBI probably do…but most sheriff’s offices don’t have that budget and would need a warrant to listen through phones and tap into calls etc. My primary concern here was some poor bastard unwittingly giving local law enforcement live streaming into his clandestine setup. Because nobody should ignorantly and wilfully self- incriminate

3 Likes

Why do you think I started the conversation lol

Well besides the obvious necessity of an extraction community PSA

3 Likes

Exactly what I would have used to analyze traffic coming out of that. Wireshark even works with bluetooth and Cellular-tuned antennas, also fyi :wink: Learning to use software defined radios and cut your own antennas for whatever frequencies you need is also a pretty badass skill, I used to have a 90 or so ft tall ‘random wire’ antenna strung over a tree in an ‘A’ frame shape about 75 ft end to end from both points on the ground and another weirdo antenna I made that I attached to about 4 miles of stainless steel cattle fencing which surprisingly worked really well. Either way knowing how to intercept radio traffic on most ends of the spectrum is so fucking useful I wish more people knew about it

Knowing how to use SDRs properly also could grant you access to poorly secured garage doors. Most of the codes are in motherfucking BINARY and are only a few digits long

Also also - the ones that are secure from that are also insecure from other threats, namely a replay attack, they’ll intercept the signal for a gate, car (this is how they steal cars now btw), replay the signal and clone the ‘rolling code’ on there to a new remote

5 Likes

I could hack your entire network through a printer. Not that complicated.

3 Likes

Stingrays are just expensive to setup.

1 Like

The PSA is always nice. The problem stems from using devices and services that are “not free”, meaning the source code is hidden and you don’t actually own or control the device, and you dont know how it works beyond the buttons that are presented to you. If you don’t control it, it controls you. This goes for anything. If you care about your freedom you figure out how to not rely on anything that you cant wrench on yourself.

@SubstituteCreature thanks for bringing this up, at first you’d think things like garage door openers should be secure but then you realize anyone with an antenna and cheap sdr can capture your signal and replay it, or simply guess their way in., or capture for long enough to figure out the rolling code algorithm.
RSPduo – SDRplay is my next buy, I have the RSP1A.

GitHub - Oros42/IMSI-catcher: This program show you IMSI numbers of cellphones around you. not really honestly. Range is the cost factor, $500 and a vehicle to wardrive, plus knowing your imsi would find you as fast as the vehicle (drone, plane, car) can drive past you.

I have interacted with a company that fell victim to a hacked printer on the guest/employee wifi, and used it to gain access to the Print Spool service which had admin privs on the server. Was a bad day when it was found to be sending copies of everything printed or scanned to China.

4 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Exactly. You need three. That’s problem so you can triangulate exactly where the location of said target is.

1 Like

Had a meeting with a guy 5 years ago who had a friend who could make one from scratch. Those things are scary as fuck and as a result of that story even more scared of them. If you try to tell someone what they do most people go fucking insane and call you Dale Gribble - i’ve heard it far too much.

No problem! As a dude trying to be on the right path in life for my daughter BUT having sewn my wild oats has given me the ability to see things from both sides of the fences. Having said that I already figured that one out.

RP (newest series probably the best) slobbed over to work with an SDRplay or something equitable, RTLsdr or whatever those are maybe, simple cronjob to run the commands to start the search right away when powered on. Have blue team go do intel and find out what make receiver you’ll be working with, make doesn’t really matter TOO much since you’ll be looking in FCC filings for that company to find what frequency they operate on and with the RSPduo (nice radio btw, i want one too!) you can monitor an A and B signal, you can monitor a fallback signal and just save the raw data which can be copied right into a remote. The buildout would be a small Pelican case modified to have antenna openings yet weatherproofed so it can sit there a long-ass time somewhere kinda out in the open but still hidden. Trash area works good. Rechargeable batteries to provide the very meager cell phone voltage that is needed to operate. Hide and wait - bonus points if you find a nearby WIFI network you can pre-authenticate so you can open up SSH and snag the fucker from your own computer back at home and not even have to re-expose yourself picking it up.

Enjoy the new remote to your own whateverthefuckyouwant

BOOOOOOOOOOOM

To loop back to the intention of the thread, even passively monitoring for activity within your area is perfectly reasonable, by radio, video, or whatever else is at your disposal. Legal too. If you look at a phone as a listening device, it is easy to see the advantage to having control over them. If your phone sends an omni directional unobfuscated signal into my house and I capture it every day, kinda your fault.

The only good monitoring device is one you own yourself (so LE can’t use the device you paid a premium + monthly service for as a tool at their disposal.)

3 Likes

If someone wanted to upgrade their inadequate system from cloud-based to DVR with secure online backup, or needed any other IT, Security, Web services, would @sidco be the solution provider? :wink:

1 Like

Keeping it personal is the first step.

2 Likes