Ring Grants *MORE* Access to Law Enforcement

Most of us are likely aware of RING Camera’s affiliation with hundreds of local and federal law enforcement agencies.

Well now a cloud based security surveillance company is launching a 45 day pilot to allow real-time access to their crime fighting partners. This is an ingeniously derived plan that piggybacks on hardware and streaming surveillance already paid for by the consumer who purchased the cameras. This way our “big brother” spends zero dollars on cameras but achieves maximum penetration into private businesses and residences.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/police-launch-pilot-program-to-tap-ring-smart-camera-live-streams/

Seeing as law enforcement confiscate more property than burglars steal the rationale that we need to grant this access to LEOs in order to thwart crime is absurd.

I do not operate in the traditional sector of our industry but I remember using RING Cameras to remotely monitor my operations back in the PROP 215 days. In light of this partnership between the surveillance company and LEOs I highly advise anyone who opposes a gaping hole in their op-sec or governmental invasion of privacy in general to stay the fuck away from cloud based security monitoring and stick to old fashioned DVR systems.

RING and Amazon deny involvement in this pilot but the LEOs in question haven’t denied it.

There are so many examples of this new trend in the news lately…

And this is only the beginning of this type of invasive technology

“Orwellian” is an adjective describing a situation, idea, or societal condition that George Orwell identified as being destructive to the welfare of a free and open society. … The New York Times has said the term is “the most widely used adjective derived from the name of a modern writer”.

31 Likes

We really need to rethink how we approach ownership of personal data

14 Likes

Look at the map of USA completely swallowed up by the icons representing the RING partnerships with law enforcement

I mean it is an Amazon owned company so it checks out

5 Likes

What did you enter on maps to get those hits?

3 Likes
5 Likes

The key is the personal part … yikes to this post!

2 Likes

Oh good, I was worried they would have trouble enforcing the new yearly lockdowns and curfews.

6 Likes

This reminds me of when people didn’t think “Alexa” type products were listening to everything you say and do. I always assumed it had to be, in order to be listening for when you say “Alexa.”

11 Likes

34 Likes

They had a a radio ad here where the sheriff wanted people to register all there home security cameras so “if” there was ever a crime they could access them to help solve it. Said they would not have stored data yada yada yada, getting spied on from everywhere

6 Likes

Aaaand today is the day I begin my wired security system install! Night Owl 1tb ftw!

7 Likes

Seems like we all need these https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001192401815.html

God damn big brother, what’s next?

2 Likes

great, now im’ gonna rip that thing off the front door of the machine shop!

8 Likes

We all need these

5 Likes

I’m good…

4 Likes

they did say we all need to wear masks

7 Likes

italics 2x

3 Likes

Ski masks also?

I’ve been seeing a few people wearing that and sunglasses in stores.

2 Likes

Ok, depending on the type of people i’m with this either gets an OH MY GOD, REALLY? or a YEAH BUDDY, ROAST ANOTHER BOWL but here goes.

I have very little to hide so I use the ‘hey google’ function to activate my voice chat and whatnot, well a friend who was VERY VERY paranoid about life in general bought a wireless signal analyzer. This one

So having an electronics background, I immediately thought it was fucking stupid and my buddy probably got scammed for 500 bucks, nope. Shit works IMMACULATELY. Can discern different types of wireless signals fucking perfectly and even power levels, tested it on the WIFI, gps unit, playstation, etc. If it gives off some sort of signal, it will find it and tell you

So dude really starts going down the rabbit hole and tests like every single phone that comes in front of him, in public or not and starts to think people are wiretapped because every so often the power level on the wifi/cell signal analyzer (not any other frequencies). If the wifi was off, it’d revert to the cell signal and vice versa. No GPS signal recognized though. But the power meter would jump up and fucking down as soon as you talk. Like, yes. More than likely it’s not SENSITIVE information being transmitted but I’m not sure. If someone buys me this wireless signal analyzer and an Alfa Networks monitoring WIFI interface i’ll tell you every goddamn thing that comes out of it and what server it’s pointed at :alien:

(edit: stopped story short cuz daughter was freaking the fuck out at her computer and mindlessly clicked reply cuz only one coffee)

ANYWAY. So ol` buddy boy over there starts getting fucking crazy about everyone being a cop, even getting violent with them so I talked a mutual friend to letting me borrow it for a few hours to see how legit it is, and as described before it would be in the ‘2 legit 2 quit’ category, so def. worked. Once i turned off the ‘ok google’ function it immediately stopped transmitting data like that. Obviously it’s not google recording our conversations and whatever for nefarious purposes, but I’m assuming it’s small bits of data like voice analytics - where your words normally peak on a spectrograph and whatnot so they can tell that ‘you’ is ‘you’ just from voice-related markers.

WE CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY EVERYTHING to sum it up. The only way to stop that is to just not transmit any discernable information and assume you are always being listened to.

13 Likes

You can just buy a personal WiFi hammer off DHgate they block WiFi for 40 meters around you so as you’re moving around you’ll be one big blind spot

7 Likes