Resources on commercial extraction procedures

You’re missing the step where you turn the investment into money again

10 Likes

Is the CBD isolate market no good? My business partner is involved in the community (I personally don’t smoke weed or use weed products), and said the market is hot. He has investors interested in this business idea.

Nope. Market is tanked. Read around on some threads here and you’ll get the gist of it.

Selling cbd is a running joke at this point

4 Likes

Interesting. He owns a successful contracting company so I trust his business sense. He has has been researching this and is involved in the community and told me that the numbers are staggering. I don’t really care either way since nothing of mine is at stake… but I don’t want him to fail if this is truly the case.

Side question, from hemp (say 10% CBD) what yield can be expected after a typical extraction to isolate?

Slowpoke.jpeg

The numbers ARE staggering. Staggeringly bad. Bop him on the nose and tell him he needs to retune his spider senses and stop believing the hype.

Side answer: from a typical extraction, you can yield a net loss of investment.

I’m telling you this for your own good- take your chemistry degree and use it to make real drugs.

3-MEO-PCP for example- just as legal as Delta-8-THC- but waaaaay cooler. It’s like PCP but more likely to get you into a fight with sixteen cops.

7 Likes

read 100k posts around here and you’ll have some idea what’s going on. maybe.

the search bar is helpful if you have specific questions.

https://future4200.com/search?q=distillate+yield

@rowan is not wrong in suggesting "CBD Is over"

4 Likes

Cbd is so dead that people are advertising services to convert it to substances that are specifically listed as schedule 1 substances and hoping that they won’t catch the eye of a local crusader as though they just disappeared off the map.

3 Likes

nah, you’re just trying to scare the competition away :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Market is there. Don’t be a dumbass. The crowd goes zig, you go zag.

Do your due diligence and then attack with educated opinions.

2 Likes

If I was evil I would encourage him to cast himself into the flames with the rest of us poor saps who had that same bright thoughts and then ended up on this worst possible timeline

3 Likes

Ask your partner how he plans to harvest and dry 200 acres of hemp without effing up the terpene profile, losing cannabinoid content, or it going moldy. Ask him what his plan is for culling males and hermes. Ask him who is going to buy the finished product and what that finished product is.

This isn’t to scare you. I know of many operations that struggle to harvest 10 acres profitably.

If you know anything about commercial refining, it’s all about the crack cost compared to the spread between product A and product B. If the economics make sense, they crack all day. If not, that unit shuts down operations because it’s not profitable. You’re going to have to go very far down the production chain (aka finished products for retail sale) in order to find a profitable spread. And even then you’re going to need a sales team.

Know what you’re getting into and be prepared to take a few licks.

2 Likes

I’m mainly focusing on converting cbd to compliant d8 with less than .3% d9. If the person needing processing wants something non-compliant I would hope they have verified the legality of them selling d9/d8 blends.

@thor.lucas I also support @Rowan notions to do serious research before considering CBD isolate.

1. Scale (your scale is not competitive) Share this link with your partner.
  1. Price - are your price models realistic, this string touches on pricing related to CBD hemp
  1. Approach - there are many here that have the knowledge, considering you are eyeing CBD isolate, ethanol only extraction seems appropriate.

Why do you think I’m getting a degree in chemical biology? :wink: Alexander Shulgin is my hero

Thanks for the tip, I’ll crunch the numbers with him. Maybe we pivot!

3 Likes

Thank you @Dirteagle for the info. I don’t know what his plan is, but I know he’s harvested a lot of weed in his time so I didn’t think to question it. I will get more info on this for sure.

Personally I was just psyched to get something interesting on my resume and a bit of wage in my pocket :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the links! Will be giving those a read and sending those his way.

I have seen numerous conflicting reports on ethanol vs. butane. It seems to me that ethanol requires quite a bit more post processing work than butane. Why is it better for CBD? Does it solvate CBD better, vs. butane for THC?

@thor.lucas Hydrocarbons are amazing and give a dynamic profile, but all this will be lost if going to isolate. Thus the mention of ethanol. I would also determine if you have requirements around C1D1 with your hydrocarbon extraction. This can swing your CAPEX. @TheGratefulPhil had a good string going into this.

C1D1 HVAC Design

Good luck researching, I do too every day.

1 Like

How is the market for THC extract looking? I mentioned all this information to my guy and mentioned that we may want to pivot. He has experience growing marijuana so a small-scale artisan style extract business could also be something that we can do. He did mention that licensing is much harder but he will speak to his lawyer about it.

To drive the point aaaall the way home

I feel like hydrocarbon extracts have a niche market but if you’re extracting with ethanol and making distillate the market is pretty bleak too- Thank you Kenosha Boys.

Market is about as hot as a 3 day dead prostitute. The THC market is a little better as the barrier to entry is higher but market is also saturated.
Prob more likely to succeed in cannabis but it’s not a slam dunk.
If you do go the CBD route and you have retail sales channels you might make some money but here in CA everyone has a CBD brand it’s a joke how many people are in it around here. Nobody seems to be making money either