Researching honeycomb/crumble teks

Back side of a vinyl waffle stencil

6 Likes

Made some of my own cookies recently. Thanks for all the awesome advice!

IMG_2340|666x500

17 Likes

22 Likes

looks good!

3 Likes

Is this ethanol?

1 Like

Definitely not. Hydrocarbons

3 Likes

If you want to know how to Make stable honeycomb let me know! Cheers.

13 Likes

You starting from shatter or whipping right outta the collection pot.

Basically how I make those perfect honeycomb slabs is by doing a an extraction, I use 100% butane chilled to -30b and jacketed material tubes chilled to -30, do your extraction and butane recovery, pour oil in to glass dish and gently start to heat and vac, -10 to -15”hg to start and about 30 degrees Celsius, once every hour release vacuum and scrape up everything in the dish to a ball in the middle then pull vacuum again, do this once every hour in till you have induced nucleation, this is where it gets very tricky as when to scrape it from the dish and move to the parchment, you will have to gain experience in finding that perfect time to switch, as it’s a certain texture you are looking for, if you go to far with the nucleation before you switch it will come out with a funny look, same with if you switch to early, you are looking to have a crunchy crystaly layer on the bottom but still enough of the syrupy stuff still left to allow liquefaction during the last pull with the vacuum, you scrape everything from the dish in to a ball on the parchment, place back in the vacuum with a slightly lower heat but pull a full vacuum, -25”hg and let it go, during this time you don’t fuck with it, I usually go to bed at this time and leave it over night, wake up in the morning to the slabs like in the pictures.

Cheers.

8 Likes

Sorry for bumping but when do i know the nucleation have happend?

2 Likes

The oil will start to go cloudy.

4 Likes

http://www.vevor.fr/sh-2-hot-plate-magnetic-stirrer-dual-controls-1-stir-bar-combo-180w.html

Quick question. If I had a big slab of some shatter that sugared on me in the oven could I potentially do this process with that as well? Or does it need to have that taffy consistency?

1 Like

Yeah you probably could get it to a crumble like consistency. What do you use to extract? Was the slab fully dry?

1 Like

How long at 115 does it take to finish?

1 Like

just run wax and whip 3 time then purge @ 40c over night

2 Likes

I’ve had them finish in less than an hour and I’ve had them take a good 4-5 hours.

1 Like

I think this may be a good thing to consider

4 Likes