Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments

1 Like

Sadlly there is at least one case in Canada too:

Information Update - Health Canada warns of potential risk of pulmonary illness associated with vaping products

The Province of Quebec has notified the Public Health Agency of Canada of a confirmed case of severe pulmonary illness related to vaping products. This is the first confirmed case in Canada. This follows the report out of the Middlesex-London Health Unit in Ontario of another possible case. At this time, the Middlesex-London incident is not considered confirmed as it is still under investigation and has not been officially reported to the Public Health Agency of Canada by the Province of Ontario.

i actually now live close to Middlesex-London but i am originally from Quebec and I’ve been keeping my finger on the pulse of the vape industry (cannabis & nicotine)here and there and from what i could gather and a bunch of people would agree…its fear mongering at its worst
no name or illness were released at any point so i’m still going with they have no evidence and it could be anything else that they’re trying to pass it off as a vaping ailment to further more their own agenda

3 Likes

Not disagreeing with you.

I didn’t read into it too much. But, when they say “confirmed” or “probable” they should be referring to VAPI (vaping-associated pulmonary injury), the official name of the illness. The CDC and FDA worked to create the case definition for VAPI (and the CDC named it VAPI), which is how doctors categorize people as VAPI confirmed or VAPI probable.

I’m not surprised Canada didn’t release the sick person’s name.

1 Like

@anon87263109 I’m taking the study with a grain of salt. The way the gentleman is speaking sounds like he isn’t even sure. When talking about what the injury is like his eyes are looking away from the camera(looks like someone not confident in what they are saying). Even towards the end of the video HE says the problem is there is to many vape products so listen to the cdc and stop vaping. The study’s the fda do usually taking around 10 years, so I’m curious on how they got results that heavily support what they want in only a few weeks. Saying caustic burns sounds like they are going to spin this whole thing around into terpenes or flavoring agents for vapes. Also research like this paid by big tobacco companies so I feel results are going to favor the hand feeding you if they want to keep seeing money for funding research. I’ve been vaping for almost 8 years now. High vg low pg 5-20% percent of flavoring and 3-36 mgs of nicotine. I vaped at 36 mgs for 4 years and didn’t drop my nicotine until 4 years ago. Not once in the 8 years have I had a lung injury. Typically when I got to the hospital I tell them I don’t smoke anymore. I’ve had scans done on my lungs when I was in a car accident 5 years ago and my lungs looked healthy they said. Like cigarettes a person usually sticks to a certain brand or two

3 Likes

“I do agree that Terpenes can be dangerous, I’ve seen it for myself when a lab tech spilled a high terp mix onto our epoxy floor, the spill got wiped up but to this day there is a discoloration where the spill happened so futures posts about caustic terps are very real, However some terps are more harmless than others.”

Did not burn through the floor, just discolored it. Don’t want my original post getting out of hand. Just wanted to update it.

What if some bum was reading all the threads on here about cbd–>d8 and didnt clean it up?

nice little pinch of h2so4 in a cheap vape cart that burns hotter than it is supposed to… hmmmm

7 Likes

that was what i was thinking

1 Like

Unfortunately that would make too much sense!
But on the other hand this smells like a power play from corporate tobacco hand in hand with the “rulers of the land” to help direct whom of their cronies get to line their pockets.

4 Likes

Well that kind of blows me away
I for sure thought it was Vitamin E

But my point still stands: If not Vitamin E/thickeners, why did this vaping illness just start in Q4 of 2019? People have been smoking these cheap knock off China carts since early 2017. The only thing that has changed from then to now is thickeners were introduced.
The only other thing I can think of is maybe China used to make better carts and found some new materials to cut costs

5 Likes

CBD distillate became 2000 a liter

4 Likes

Interesting thought, but the fact that the bulk of what “brands” that have been pulled for testing are carts and packaging that is available to most Joe Blo’s that are trying to make a quick buck instead of someone with a big enough lab to put in all the time and money and effort to get CRC tec down . . . I don’t see that as a real part of this landscape.

With an average onset period of 6 days to two weeks, cases of VAPI have been happening since 2015-2016. Then, the number of reported VAPI cases increased greatly starting in May-June of 2019 (Q2). But only after the CDC released its VAPI case definitions, when doctors looked back at old cases from years ago to see if they matched the case definitions from today (and many did).

In other words, all of the VAPI cases are not from 2019, quite a few are from long before vit E acetate was even sold. Additionally, around 25% of the sick people only vaped nic carts, no THC carts at all, so they also didn’t vape vit E acetate. Also, according to the FDA’s current figures, only about 39.6% of the 180 samples tested from sick people had vit E acetate. Finally, vit E acetate has never been found in all samples, it’s just not a common factor (the only common factor is the hardware).

Vit E acetate has been sold by the 55 gallon drum for carts since late 2018 in LA. And so far there have been tens of millions of carts sold with vit E acetate, and only a tiny, teeny fraction of people who could have vaped it got sick.

In other words, the numbers and facts about vit E acetate use doesn’t match up with the spike in VAPI illnesses. If it did, the illness would have started in Los Angeles by early January 2019.

Those facts and figures, plus the Mayo Clinic study, seem to very strongly suggest it’s not caused by vit E acetate. But, because vit E acetate is a new thing and it makes for great click-bait, the news media ran with it even though NY state, the CDC, and the FDA never said they think vit E acetate is the cause, or even part of the cause.

The CDC and FDA still don’t know what’s causing VAPI, but one thing is pretty clear: it’s extreemly unlikely to be from vit E acetate causing lipoid pneumonia.

The assumption and claim made by many people that VAPI is caused by vit E oil through exogenous lipoid pneumonia was more a hair on fire response, not based on facts. It was due to poor reporting from people like David Downs at Leafly, the NY Times and other organizations.

I think Magisterchemist may be onto something regarding coils and batteries. It makes sense because those would also affect nic only users. I can’t think of another common factor, except for some unknown toxic chemical in all samples of THC and nic carts.

3 Likes

I had a feeling you were mr. extractor. If you are I hope you rot in prison.

7 Likes

I have to agree with you, during a talk with a friend who is a organic chemist at a fortune 100 company last night he brought up the deaths in the ninties with ecstacy from people being able to hydrogenate many of the bonds in sassafras oil and that if anything this should help us unlock a better understanding of the compounds in the plant we are concentrating by forcing gov’t bodies to research this further. I found that to be an interesting point.

In my eyes I turned to the newest trend (though its been around for quite some time in other industries) with remediating compounds. Pore size of filtration media, etc. Thanks for responding!

3 Likes

You want me to rot in prison because you think I’m Mr extractor? Or you want me to rot in prison because I am pointing out VAPI is very unlikely to be caused by vit E acetate (or terpenes, which are oils)? Or both?

I don’t want to go to prison, I doubt anyone does. So, it’s weird you want me to rot there. Instead, maybe you should thank me for helping clear up confusion, misunderstanding and hearsay? Unless you like blaming the innocent (people and chemicals) to fit your narrative?

I’m not really asking you questions, and I don’t expect a response. I’m not Mr Extractor.

Please keep this thread on topic.

Also would not explain the Nic users going down. I’m with you, don’t think its poor crc tek.

6 Likes

I said what I said, read it real slow. I see u people and this is a great time to trim the vitamin e from our little world before it becomes set.

This aint the coke world, we are stigmatizing yall cutters regardless of what it does because cutting is always the first step.

11 Likes

It’s weird you think I’m someone I said I’m not at least two times. And it’s weirder you are ignoring this thread topic. If you want yell about cutters please make a thread for that.

I don’t use ‘cutters’, but I do use facts. You may want to try the second part sometime.

Its weird that you want to defend vitamin e. What is the purpose if vitamin e? Why should it be in a vape?

3 Likes