Request for medicine and formulation from an industry pro. Nerve Pain remedies anyone?

Here I am sending up the F42K Bat Signal again for someone in the industry. I am sharing this with permission from a colleague that many of you know and respect in the industry. I have redacted names for privacy but will put anyone willing to help in direct contact with the family

Hi

I’m in serious need of plant medicine for my 26 year old son Jack, who was a passenger in a rollover car accident in early October. He dislocated his cervical spine at C6-7 and is diagnosed as quadriplegic, paralyzed from the upper chest down. He’s been at Craig Neurorehabilitation Hospital in Denver for two months – and we’ll be here for another month.

Although Jack has no sensation below his upper chest, he’s experiencing intense neuropathic pain (nerve pain) all over his body that’s common with this type of spinal cord injury (SCI). The doctors have administered several pharmaceutical medications for neuropathic pain over the past eight weeks, yet Jack’s relief is minimal for short periods of time. He’s also recently experienced increased limb spasticity.

Jack wants to use plant medicine to help alleviate his nerve pain, but the doctors won’t permit it until he’s discharged to out-patient, which is in 10 days. We’ve spoken with the pharmacist and she doesn’t have an issue with Jack using CBD, CBG, CBN, CBx, THC, etc, once he’s an out-patient.

Please let me know if you’re aware of any plant medicine formulations that can help Jack achieve an elevated degree of nerve pain relief, and anyone who has, or could formulate the remedy for us. I’ve inquired with my contacts in Israel who are leaders in cannabis medicine research, and their recommendation is:

· The preferred treatment should be a mix of high CBD strains along with high THC (minor cannabinoids such as CBC, THCV are beneficial too)

· In any case, the mix should have a ratio that is close to 1:1 CBD:THC and not just high in THC product.

· The doses should start low (5-10mg a day) and grow slowly to a max dose of 50mg THC, over a period of 14 days.

Among all my contacts, the people collectively included in this email have a very deep reach into the US, Canadian and European cannabis industry. I was going to send this email as blind copy addresses, but I thought it might possibly be beneficial for you to meet each other here. Apologies for any offense for email address disclosure. There’s an auto reply for my emails, but you can disregard that.

With my utmost gratitude,

Friend of Cat

If you can help with anything including formulation advice, personal experience with neuropathy treatment, medicine for someone else to formulate . . . anything is appreciated in advance. This hits me right in the Momness of it all. God bless this young man with HEALING and God bless this family with sustaining grace.

14 Likes

I’d be happy to send some of my topical cbd pain creams which I have had good feedback from clients suffering from nerve damage.

I’ll throw in some tinctures too.

Sending a dm now.

9 Likes

Are there any methods of consumption that are off the table? Different routes and their bioavailability might be experimented with.

Also, Don’t forget the terpenes. The following terpenes are beneficial for pain management.

Β-caryophyllene, Myrcene, Linalool, Limonene, and Pinene

5 Likes

Bless you. I will get an address from the family.

3 Likes

If you are thinking suppositories, I am 100% with you. Definitely a prime medical administration route.

4 Likes

I’m wondering about an extra potent topical formulation applied to the spine. I have a muscle cooling gel I could infuse with extra menthol and cannabinoids. I’m thinking adding terpene blend using the aforementioned terps would have a great benefit on absorption aswell as pain management.

3 Likes

I know it’s not “plant medicine”, but I have horrible neuropathy from jumping out of 1 too many planes. I actually have a fusion at c5-c7, basically a very similar injury. Anyhow, I’ve used Lyrica to great advantage over the last couple of years. Also CBG/a, CBG helps me the most with pain out of any of the other cannabinoids I have tried

4 Likes

I can vouch for the efficacy of @thesk8nmidget’s topicals!

not sure what the magic is, but it’s in there…

the recommendations from Israel are also right on point imo. although I would say they’re being conservative on their dosing (to avoid “side effects”). Especially if Jack is a long time cannabis user.

I walked away from my c5-t1 injury with a c5-c6 fusion, but would have pushed the reset button to escape the pain if I had not found cannabis.

smoking flower was almost worthless, dabable (75+%) CBD made all the difference for my pain. I also made a series of CBD + Blue Dream mixed extracts varying from 1:1 to 1:3 CBD:THC I found the higher THC more effective, but I also find that varies by the individual (OMMP. CBDBD was a hit with the patients too). mixing up that custom combo on the dab tool works too.

I personally have not found edibles to be effective…but those and topicals/transdermals would seem like better options at this stage of the game.

mother liquor from CBD isolation or the waste stream from THC remediation chromatography are both great sources of the appropriate cannabinoid ratios imo. (the chroma waste in my hand is labeled 16% THC, 76% CBD 2.2% CBG)

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! the magic is the good karma and good intentions packed in every container!

6 Likes

Wonder no more, that would be a totally ineffective ROA for this injury. In order to exert any of its antiinflammatory effects within the spinal canal, CBD will have to be administered orally in hefty doses for it to even get close to the brain blood barrier, preferably formulated in an emulsion.

1 Like

So large doses of an MCT tincture pretty much?

That’s not an emulsion, although it will work as well.

How are topicals helping with pain?

direct injection of corticosteroids into the affected area of the spinal column is tricky, but often quite effective. haven’t heard of CBD being used in this context, but we may get there eventually.

my understating was that the inflammation surrounded the nerve bundle. are you certain that say emu oil or limonene wouldn’t deliver some of the goods to an appropriate location?

if I’m off, my excuse is my animal/human physiology was too long ago…I’m a plant guy.

2 Likes

DMSO may help get the goods across the skin, too.

I’ve always read promising things about Lions Mane mushroom promoting nerve repair. It may help with nerve pain, might not, but couldn’t hurt. It’s also considered a gourmet mushroom, and is readily available in powder/capsules. Ginko Biloba is good for the nerves, too.

I’ll have to do a little digging through the cobwebs of my mind, but I know of a handful of other natural herbals that may be worth looking into as well. I’ll post when I think of some more.

2 Likes

right. first place I went actually. survey says it doesn’t seem to get things across the blood brain barrier. hence the “well maybe that’s not a bridge we need to cross?” above. Emu oil doesn’t count as plant based, but limonene does.

DMSO brings with it, well you know, whatever tf it finds…

4 Likes

Good point about DMSO moving whatever it touches. Have to be mindful of that for sure. Not exactly plant based either, just brainstorming really.

2 Likes

I’m guessing from experience, cannabinoids want help this situation. I’m definitely not being a hater. I’m willing to help, in anyway I can. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

2 Likes

What about Emu Oil to pass the skin barrier?

1 Like