Remediation of Isomerized D9 Distillate

Has anyone here gone through the process of remediating distillate that has isomerized partially to D8 & D10?

I have D9 distillate that came back with 8% D8 and 10% D10. Obviously this is less than desirable. Is there a method for isolating these isomers? From my reading, I have maybe felt that crystallization could be an option…

Any ideas or advise would be much appreciated.

CPC is very solid, but not the easiest methodology unless you know a lab that’s already done the method development work and has a CPC to use.

4 Likes

you will never get to crystalize d9 my friend. your options are running through some type of chromatography

2 Likes

Lol definitely not trying to crystallize D9. But with the understanding that D10 likes to crystallize, I was thinking it could potentially filtered out of solution.

i’ve never tried… but why not take some of your disty and mix with heptane or other solvent… homogenize it and then try doing some ReX techniques. maybe cold crash it by throwing it in a freezer possibly?

1 Like

Yeah that looks promising but probably out of reach. Anyone here in Montana have a CPC in a licensed cannabis space? :grinning:

Definitely worth a try. Up to this point, the only solvent I have on hand is ethanol. I’ve been wanting to work with heptane for other purposes anyway.

Generally speaking (in the cannabis space at least): crystallization will occur with whatever is present in majority. I.e. if you have a CBD and D9 mix, you’d be able to crystallize if the CBD had a large majority (let’s say 70-80%), however if it was 70-80% d9 with the remaining CBD, you’d be unlikely to crystalize any CBD.

D9 thc also doesn’t crystalize, although thc-a does

2 Likes

Your best option is @eyeworms patent
And then a good spd distiller that cuts tails early

2 Likes

Dissolve in DMF and if lucky you ll get some crystals off the low content cbd

1 Like

Not at 10% it doesn’t…

generally speaking (because there are exceptions) you are not going to be able to 100% remove something via crystallization - although you can certainly reduce its concentration. However, if you have an impurity like d10-THC in there at some small percentage like 10% you probably will not be able to nucleate/propagate crystallization to begin with.

A driving force for crystallization is the purity (or lack of impurities) in the feedstock. If you’re attempting to crystallize from a solution that’s 10% target compound and 90% non-target compounds (i.e. impurities) you probably will not succeed. If your solution is like 80% target and 20% impurities…you have far better odds of getting something to crystallize…but nonetheless your filtrate will still contain a good fraction of the target compound.

Sometimes you can get lucky though…if you find a solvent that hates d10-THC then you may be able to precipitate it out nearly 100%. I’m not saying it isn’t worth trying in some limited capacity, but I am saying your chances of success are slim.

2 Likes

Option this is a though on and I have only skimmed the endless possibility s
But is defenatly an option

Take a N-alkane solvent and add a fair amount of anhydrous aluminum cloride
Reflux it for 4 hours if possible in a pressure vessel for all the nu observations
I write now I preformed on N-hexane
After reflux cool down then fraqtion distill it 30cm fraqtioning column
And start collecting fractions in a pre determined temp range in
my case the fraction at atmosferische pressure of 42-47 C will not dissolve your oil and when adding it to a N-hexane /cbd solution will make your cbd crash out of solution mighty quick
This fraqtion is a branched hydrocarbon
And a good anti solvent for crystelization purposes

3 Likes