Refinance home mortgage with large indoor grow? Appraiser visit

Anyone ever deny an appraiser entry to a garage or basement due to an indoor grow? Wondering if it’s gonna be possible to refi while rates are low with having a full basement and garage build out underway lol.

2 100a sub panels in each and I built temp insulated plywood walls and wired it all up myself as well as diy plumbing and dosatrons. Def dont want them looking at any of it. I had always planned to rip it out if we moved.

1 Like

Well with Corona virus I can probably just say that we can’t risk exposure here so they will have to do a street inspection

10 Likes

Cover all walls with panels/ballasts, etc with black contractors plastic. Tape up well. Just say your remodelimg.

5 Likes

I googled “when can you deny entry for a home appraisal” and there’s a guy in Chicago fighting that fight. Are you an old coot? Sounds like it helps if you are.

My phucking fone wont link shit rn (operator error) but if nothing else its inspirational

1 Like

That’s fucking brilliant if it works.

1 Like

you can only strike that match once

2 Likes

:joy: I would just find an appraiser that smokes

2 Likes

Might even help the appraisal :smile:

3 Likes

ill let you know im about to refi my house soon to

1 Like

I just did mine and there was no appraisal. They just based it off the Zillow price.

2 Likes

i think the mortgage lender hires them, i cant pick em

1 Like

i was thinking about waiting until winter so we will have chopped our outdoor crop by then too

oh snap. we just bought this house in 2017 but if we refi at 2.5% with a 0 closing cost shop we can save like 500 bucks per month

1 Like

I had a landlord refinance once. The appraiser insisted on going into the basement but was cool as hell and said he wouldnt tell the landlord anything he saw down there.

2 Likes

I just recently refinanced my property in Illinois but I am currently living in Michigan for work, but I needed to prove my Illinois residence was my primary residence to get the best rate.

Appraiser had to come by but I have tenants in that property now, I didn’t want to run the risk of the appraiser bringing up these things to the bank, so…let’s score a win for COVID19.

I basically said that because of COVID19, I didn’t feel comfortable with an appraiser entering my home and that I would only want him to perform an external appraisal. Lo and behold, this worked! I was able to get my property appraised and refinanced without anyone ever having to enter the property.

3 Likes

I just refinanced my house and the lender should be able to tell you what the max value they can increase your property without needing an appraisal.

1 Like

I just refinanced a couple months ago and no one ever came to my house, except to sign the paperwork, and that was all done in my living room, on the couch.
No appraisal. Everything was done online.

2 Likes

I also recently refinanced with no physical inspection or appraisal. I think they used Zillow or the county’s tax assessment.

Recently like a year ago, not during Corona. Good rates right now?

Great rates. I got 3.15%. I think people may be able to find sub 3% if you have a good credit score, mine was only 720, and I also refinanced several months ago during the beginning of the pandemic when rates first started to plummet.

It’s cheap now adays to buy down the points too.

like what @Demontrich said you can cover everything up. If theyre really going to go inside theyre just making sure all the measurements are correct. Updated fire alarms with CO on each floor. Water heater strapped in. They take a photo of each room and the water heater and probably the fire alarms. For mine i didnt cover anythign up. it just wasn’t in use.