Recommendations for first time fungi growers

that’s a freshly opened Mason jar…that over 4 years ago was poured in front of my flow hood. I still have 24 to 30 examples of the same time period shit. CAN YOUR STILL AIR BOX do that??? Shit flows down hill

1 Like

If your serious about growing and want to save yourself a lot of time and frustration I’d have to also say buying or building a flowhood is totally worh it.

I had only limited success until I got mine.

My method was to start with spore prints, use innoculation loop to put them on agar plates then to rye grain jars.

From there do grain to grain transfers from jars into unicorn bags of rye grain (myco filter patch bag)

Once I had enough colonized grain grown out I would transfer into sterilized substrate filter patch bags. My mix was coir, straw and wild bird seed.

I then would just fruit right in the bags on 48”
5 tier wire racks. I’d cut open the bags then just fold over the top and hold with one center clothes pin so they get some air exchange from the sides of the bags.

I’d then take a tissue samples from the mushrooms I’d like and use that to start new agar plates for the next round.

I will say I quickly got away from using pasteurized substrate in monotubs and changed to the sterilized substrate bags as they were always a sure thing with no fear of contamination that would sometimes happen with pasteurized substrate.

Also growing in the bags on racks makes life much easier, no monotubs to clean out. You just throw the bag away after you get a few flushes.

I did play around with liquid cultures and it was a good way to innoculate many bags but down side is if it gets contaminated everything you used with it would be too.

Has this happen once and that’s why I prefer grain to grain transfers in front of the flowhood.

Also I’d recommend downloading the “let’s grow mushrooms” videos by roger rabbit off the Pirate Bay. It has tons of good info and will help with prepping grain and procedures for agar work and grain to grain transfers in front of a flowhood.

8 Likes

That is on the cheap side. I think my filter cost $150, and the blower was around $300.

I’ve only grown shrooms for personal use., so never needed huge volume. I was able to do pretty well with a ghetto glove box.

I didn’t make the jump to a flow hood until I started playing with plant tissue cultures.

4 Likes

THANK YOU for all the feedback, you guys are the shit. Y’all never disappoint.
I think I’m gonna try some sterilized rye bags, get some spores from online, and try the monotub tek… I am going to try to get a few flushes under my belt before I start messing with petri dishes, tissue cultures, and a flowbox. I’ll get there tho.

It might be a few weeks before I get everything and get started, but I’ll keep y’all updated with pictures.

Any/all advice is welcome :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I went to the local grocery store and picked up every grain they had… The only thing that seemed to colonize faster was black rice.

Rye was the hardest to sterilize, even 45min in the autoclave often resulted bacterial growth.

3 Likes

Black rice just made my shopping list.

Every see/ eat huitlacoche; corn smut, corn gall, mexican truffle? I had an entire crop infected with this “blight/blessing”. Thought I was without a paddle till co workers abuela showed me the deliciousness of it.
Yet another gift from the pairing of fungus and corn.

2 Likes

oh yeah, 15 years in maize labs…all kinds of smut :wink:

2 Likes

Check out the Cambodian and Thai Koh Samui from www.mushrooms.com. Cambodain’s have great yield, very strong and fast colonization.

Also pf classic and penis envy from sporeworks are nice!

2 Likes

Only time I will ever say this; I’m jealous of the smut those eyes have seen, @cyclopath

3 Likes

Try white millet!

2 Likes

mycotek.org got some nice diy and tek

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations! This is what I need.
I am not very well read on the different varieties and what makes them all so different. Not sure which to choose so I appreciate this.
Anything easy/beginner friendly would be great to start.

1 Like

I’d recommend getting a pressure cooker, quart jars, a bunch of polyfil, and grains. Make a still air box and follow one of the hundreds of recommended teks on shroomery. You’ll learn tons on the journey.

Don’t try to overly complicate it at first, you’ll pick up more and more as time goes on. But learn agar, you’ll be glad you did. Hell you can even buy pre made sterile agar plates if you want to go that route.

Edit: [STICKY] ⛺ Getting Started, Up To Date TEKs, Trusted Cultivator links ⛺ - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board
Follow this link and go down a rabbit hole. Enjoy and may the spores be with you

5 Likes

down the rabbit hole I go! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Get your rye bags presterilized from shroomsupply they’re 1 quart equivalents you use 4 per 10 pounds of compost. You can get compost from shroom supply too just buy it when your bags are almost colonized. Another good source is high mountain compost

3 Likes

Both work, but flour is easier to sterilize than grain. It has to be organic, idk if that was mentioned. Bird seed also works, but difficult to sterilize. It does not need an organic label, idk if organic bird seed exists. Most flour prepared for human consumption contains preservatives that prevent fungal growth, organic flour is preservative free.

4 Likes

Trametes versicolor as a tea, easily found in north America, steep , honey , enjoy!

2 Likes

Any whole oats experience? 15$ per 50# bag at the feed store, I’ve seen them used

1 Like

Whole oats are one of the most popular grains to use. Very easy to prepare and don’t really stick together. I’ve used WBS, oats, BRF, and whole brown rice. Oats are by far my favorite.

1 Like

Would people be interested in any tutorials? I worked in mycology labs for years and would love to help some people out if there is any interest.

15 Likes