Recommendations for first time fungi growers

It’s been my experience they contam easily Vs Rye. It’s a shame because I have a feed store lessthan a mile from the house.

1 Like

I would love that for sure

Start here if you can good info

4 Likes

Share your knowledge with us.

Here is another flow hood video,

Grainger has the blower fan for 115$ and spycor has 12x24x6 hepa filter for 105$

4 Likes

I love Willy but for real he rambles on and on in this video

3 Likes

Was just typing I love the freshcap guy :call_me_hand:
Home mycology guy rambles!

1 Like

I love how homemyco rambles and his crazy colored fingers

1 Like

Contamn bra :call_me_hand: :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’d love tutorials. I’m mostly curious about which media can be used and why one is better than another. There’s several brewer supply stores around and they have a lot of grain options so I’d hate to use one that is not optimal. I’m also curious about good sources of manure and casing media; is coco really the best? I’d also be interested in the best methods of inoculation for outdoor patches and within the wood chips of a vegetable garden.

I want first to learn how to load, seal, pressure cook, and inoculate my own bags, then plop those into a monotub so any advice or major pointers on that would be great. Muchos gracias for any info you can throw our way!

4 Likes

Can I ask what the container size was? Because quart Rye jars require 90 minutes at 15 psi…and if it’s worth it…you can do a second cook…and I ask WHY not a 2ed cook? This dose change…the difference in the grains moisture level going into the first cook… @Unicorn_Theory1 I tried the oats later in that 4 year experiment… but I was in the “BAG” stage then…the moisture level in the bags are EXTREMELY important and that’s the reasons the Rye ranks higher…

Foot note…after three years in storage (in airtight 5 gallon buckets) I have 10 Rye buckets that are still good…2 Rice buckets that are still good…and 2 oat buckets… that both contaminated into a powdery mildew a year ago ( or sooner )

5 Likes

I’ve used my fair share of media and one that I’ve ALWAYS had success with is PDA (Potato Dextrose Agar). There are lots of easy ways to make your own out of potatoes, but it’s even easier to buy PDA powder from a lab supply shop. You can get a giant bulk tub for pretty cheap.
Edit- if you want something from a brewery supply store look into malt extract agar

As for substrates, it depends on the type of mushroom you’re trying to cultivate. Some grow on animal shit and some grow on decaying wood/ other cellulose rich material. Coco is generally used for P. cubensis which naturally grow on shit. Coco is popular because it is A) cheap and B) does a great job holding water. Mushrooms are 90% water so you want your media to be capable of holding onto lots of moisture. Lots of people use manure to grow P. cubensis and it works wonderfully, but you want to make sure you aren’t using manure that’s too “hot”. Horse and rabbit manure are very common, but cow shit needs to sit for a while before it can be used. But for lots of wood loving mushrooms you need to use a sawdust or straw based substrate.

For outdoor growing it depends on the type of mushroom you’d like to cultivate. Edible mushrooms can easily be grown using logs and sawdust out in the yard or garden. You can even buy pre- colonized sawdust spawn from places like North Spore. You’d basically go mix that in with fresh and hopefully pasteurized sawdust and cover it with either cardboard or soil. Keep it moist and collect fungi. For P. cubensis and other dung loving mushrooms you can take your spent cakes from indoor cultivation and bury them outside. They’ll produce mushrooms if kept moist and in good conditions.

There are plenty of tutorials on making grain bags. Basically you need to do this:

• Buy mushroom grain bags with filter patch
  • Hydrate oats, rye, etc.
  • place in bag and use an impulse sealer or roll over tube and use binder clips
  • pressure cook
  • inoculate with liquid culture, agar, or spores of your choice
3 Likes

it was more than 20 years ago…

I was using magenta boxes salvaged from a tissue culture lab. Magenta GA-7 Vessel | Carolina.com

I’ve actually got 1/2 dozen squash in my garden this season that were started in those same boxes. pretty sure my stash of sterile corn was toast by year two.

2 Likes

Right on, thanks for the advice. I took one mycology course when going after my botany BS, but unfortunately it didn’t cover cultivation. I want to have a strong fungal diversity in all of my newly installed raised beds, sillys as well as non psycho edibles. North Spore’s is actually the monotub video I’m using as a guide to my first attempts. I was also considering farming rabbits for meat and fertilizer, now I have a new pro to add to that idea.

2 Likes

My mycology corse during my Botany BS was my favorite class I took. We did oyster mushroom cultivation in there and it was awesome. Where did you get your BS from? I went to Purdue.

And yeah rabbits are awesome. We actually just started raising some for the same reasons you listed. We feed them leaves from our plants when they defoliate and they love it lol.

2 Likes

I went to Weber State in Utah, graduated in 2013 and have been in cannabis pretty much ever since. The only growing we actually did was a semester long experiment comparing the diversity and progression of growth on horse poo from different pastures in the state. We actually had some PCs pop up on one of the samples which was nice because the (Canadian hippy) professor helped us to identify them properly for the future.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! I loved when my hippie professors did shit like that. I worked in mycology labs primarily doing stuff with plant pathology for a few years while getting my degree and that was pretty fun stuff. I’d been involved in cannabis since before I graduated… hell I would skip classes to drive 2 hours away to setup/ run an extraction lab and mess with plants. It’s always fun meeting another botanist and comparing experiences.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Gourmet-Medicinal-Mushrooms-Stamets/dp/1580081754

I just got this book, hugely recomended

9 Likes

Very interested.

I recomend most of Stamets’ books. I started with this one and it was a game changer. Helped me move from p.f. cakes to enriched cased grain.
mushbook

5 Likes