Recommend Gauge for CLS?

Any recommendations on a gauge for the closed loop (that’s reasonable priced)?

I have a smaller system, but I’ve gone thru 4 gauges now from OSS. Basically I run my system and when I’m done the needle won’t sit at 0 at room atmosphere. The two on the system sit at -15 now. Idk why I’m breaking them so fast.

Just looking for one that is reliable and accurate. Let me know what you guys are using, thanks.

2 Likes

try dry gauges if you keep ruining glycerin filled units. (or just burp them How To Burp A Pressure Gauge - YouTube )

5 Likes

Is their a particular brand or model you recommend? There’s a lot out their.

Thank you for the burp suggestion! Didn’t even know you could do that

Aren’t you supposed to run only dry gauges? I know I’ve fucked up and open valves to fast on a vessel under vacuum and sucked the glycerin right outta the gauge into the pot. I emptied all my gauges after that.

3 Likes

Burping will help somewhat, but maybe not if the gauge is off by that much.

Personally, I think these things are mostly junk, I have yet to buy a gauge from any vendor that is accurate. I’ll be keeping my eye open for suggestions.

1 Like

hi,
do you have resin and solvent contacting these gauges. or are they freezing?

1 Like

@Curious_Roberto all the extraction companies, XD, OSS, HFS, BVV all only sell these cheapo glycerin filled gauges. I’ve never had one leak on me yet, but I’ve heard that happening enough to make me want to replace all mine with a decent dry gauge. I hope someone here with experience can point us in the right direction.

@Soxhlet I don’t think I’m getting any resin or solvent on them but it might be possible. I have two on my system, one at the top of the material column and another on the collection vessel. I definitely don’t think any resin or solvent touches the gauge on the collection vessel. It’s at the top on its own port on a hemispherical lid. The gauge on my material column sits on top on a 4-way fitting while the injection line is on the side. So it’s possible solvent can touch that one, but I see lots of systems setup like mine. I haven’t noticed any freezing in any of the gauges. The needles always move accordingly.

1 Like

Hi,
you see this often when people put their collection pot or solvent tank into a dry ice bath.

1 Like

In the meantime, you can always drain the cheapos. I have done that to all of my gauges.

Basically I’ve stocked up, bvv had a good sale on their ugly ass gold gauges, so I picked up a few. I use one till it craps out and replace it.

I would gladly pay a decent amount for an accurate gauge that won’t crap out.

2 Likes

Yeah I keep my tank on dry ice/iso slurry and push with nitro.

So are you saying I just need to burp them? Or just the cold temps fuck with the gauges?

There are many options here

1 Like

All of those gauges use brass connections. It isn’t the worst tho.

I saw @cyclopath mention using diaphragms on all of your gauges. Maybe he can provide a spoon.

1 Like
3 Likes

This would require an extra triclamp port, which may be hard to come by?

1 Like

Yeah, I looked into these briefly, but then realized I’d have to buy a ton of new gear.

So I just buy el cheapo gauges and replace.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I missed that one!

1 Like

That looks like the ticket…

3 Likes

these are german, not sure but usually good quality
75$ ea
I might grab one to try
I agree cheap 20$ gauges and chuck em when they go bad
If I spend 75$ on one , it better last 4x longer and perform better

3 Likes