Ran into the Medusa at a new job, quickly was able to come up with a solid work around!

@Swet254k I would love to hear your input on why your fractioning alleviates this issue

Crc and chroma should be regarded as two separate things. One is a hammer and one is a scalpel.

12 Likes

I hate to say it, but I am here again to say after discarding my gas and changing it after who knows how long it’s last been done, my work around is no longer working. I’ve distilled at 170F and closed everything off to allow solvent to reach 165f (verified with thermal C’s) burped a few times hoping to have released any contaminates and the new solvent just won’t allow my work around to work.

8 Likes

Thank you for coming back and sharing the update with us!!

Sorry it’s being more persistent than before.

What’s changed since your last successful remediations?

7 Likes

I discarded the old gas in the solvent tank because no one could tell me the last time it was changed and right when I put fresh gas in, it’s been unstoppable. I’m assuming the old solvent was just ran through sieve so many times we slowly got a big portion cleaned up.

3 Likes

And ofcourse, it’s never easy but it’s something that will help us all out before spending days trying to distill hot

1 Like

Did you clean the solvent tank or just discard the contents?

1 Like

Soap and watered it big time. Jk haha I did definitely do a quick etho wipe down

5 Likes

How do you clean your gas before hand? I don’t have consistent results yet, but everything I’m reading about DEA and MeOH are pointing towards carbon working, though apparently coal works better than hardwood/coconut/etc.

If I can get the parts together I’m going to rig up a 4"x24" column or taller and fill a couple socks with carbon and alumina, respectively, and pass thru that. If it works consistently it would be the simplest fix, because it also remediates the other contaminants that popped up this year. I think it’s down to figuring out the best source of carbon (not brand, but the material it was sourced from)

I don’t have alumina yet, but so far the carbon seems to be working if I use enough during the cleaning. Just gonna keep playing around until I can say for sure.

2 Likes

I was telling you it helps but it can’t fix a really bad tank. No sop can other than crashing sugar and ripening it into bigger rocks.
That clean and brand new gas has humbled me a few times

3 Likes

I’m gonna get this shit fixed. Mark my words. It’s been such a fun “welcome back to extracting” gift hahahaha

3 Likes

Sounds like first time it was methanol for you and this time maybe you got amines. Much higher boiling point.

2 Likes

Hey man, I hear Whole Foods has a killer deal on their carbon rn :sweat_smile::joy:

Sorry lol.

Anyways, multistage it with AA and potentially 13x beads or 4a beads.

Carbon first, then alumina, then the beads.

Powdered/pulverized carbon is what I would recommend, not larger aggregate. Source of carbon isn’t too important, more so available surface area. (Powderized)

2 Likes

Here’s data to confirm my powderized/surface area claim, if anyone still wants to call Bs on my rational that I have been stating :sweat_smile:.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/je501113y#:~:text=The%20methanol%20adsorption%20isotherm%20data,carbon%20at%20490%20mg%2Fg.

Give me a few hrs an I will type a simple SOP with drawings on how to hook up a system while distilling your gas.

This should be done as a separate, primary stage to extraction. While drawing from bulk tanks, before placing the gasses into your operating/jacketed tanks.

4 Likes

Sounds like you need to prove your theory.

1 Like

I still don’t understand why people keep suggesting those beads… why hasn’t anyone looked into what is actually used in the oil and gas industry. Pretty interesting results imo.

I’m being told over and over again that @SolventDirect is not having any issues. Can anyone confirm this currently running them?

1 Like

Last I heard, all gas companies have issues……even the cleanest coffee cup.

6 Likes

Wanted to correct what I said, they didn’t tell me they aren’t experiencing the issue they said they are experiencing it about one out of 600 tanks my apologies

1 Like

Sounds exactly like what a used car salesman would tell a potential buyer.

15 Likes