Purple oxidation

Yes typically weird colors are due in part to ph inbalances and failed neutralizations

Medias can impart their phs into the product.

5 Likes

Nah, no purple whatsoever in the crystals. Not even a hint. The stuff it came off from has some purple, but not much. And the purple will show up wherever there is contact with air, so it’s definitely oxidation.

1 Like

I am leaning towards ph imbalances, there’s a some crystals in there where I used activated medias.

You could absolutely smell Sulphur coming off of the powders when they were heated. I know it’s probably ok, but I stopped using em after I noticed that smell.

Interesting which media’s were you using; I’ve smelt sulfur in cheap off brand DE; opened the bag; smelled the stank and instally threw it away

I’ve actually smelled it on almost every activated powder I’ve dried. AA, t41 was strong, and w1 all had a distinct Sulphur smell. Not a hint of it prior to heating, and it quickly disappeared.

I know I’ve read that sulphuric acid is used for some activations, can’t find it though.

1 Like

Yes ph will do this

1 Like

Can you ph the distillate back to clear doing a water wash?

No because the color is due to oxidization

You can color remediate it though and fix it with the right sop

1 Like

Depends on how bad it’s been discolored and how badly the pHs got swung in the first round, water washing and rebalancing can deff help, but your going to need to dissolve and redistill it tho no matter what. Hard to say what’s possible without knowing what’s been done to the material. Post a pic of the material in question and I can point you in a direction for remediation

2 Likes

Althoug @Kingofthekush420 and @RockSteady consider this a color isseu I think you mean a transparency isseu Wich is the result of solids that have distilled over
A picture would help

@roguelab. I’ll post a video from the lab, it’s water clear through the entire system until the flask. I literally just took thca that had been spun off some terps and distilled that. In 5 years, I have never seen this. I’ve been distilling this way for the last year and a half. Same sop when extracting. Fully vertical operation from grow to shelf

1 Like

@beaker used to post his product after it turned purple. He would just re sublimate and remove the pink.

1 Like

What are your though @rocksteady

You might be able to seperate the oxidized cannabinoids from the non oxidized ones but you’re going to have loss. Color in distillate is mostly from oxidation the reason i know this is because of all the work I’ve done with thco

See attached comment

Purple. Is harder to remediate than pink
Purple is best washed out with a 70% sulfuric acid wash at rt or colder and then washed back to neutral
H2o2 can also do the trick but mostly on
Isomerized product right after the rxn

2 Likes

Does it only remove purple or does it also prevent new purple discolorisation?

No h2O2 is an acid
As it s ph is <. 7 ph
If not washed out well upon heating the distilled can turn pink /pinkish
It only has a short life once in contact with organic matter approx 6 hours

1 Like

So I slapped this bitch into an oven last night. While hot pulled to a vac. I then shut off the oven and let it sit over night. Today, it’s clear. I will take pictures later as the oven is still cooling

1 Like

So… I’ve had distillate that was packaged up and put in the fridge couple of days later I noticed there’s some oxidation, I took some time to think about how I want to approach the problem and I think it was a couple of days later when I was ready to implement my solution, to my surprise oxidation was gone. It’s the first time it ever happened to me. I have all kind of hypothesis why it happened but the reality of it is I don’t know for a fact why. (This is straight distillate no melted diamonds) there’s some pictures and videos of how it started and how it ended up, unfortunately I didn’t even think to take any documentation of the oxidation because I was fairly sure I’m going to have to rework everything (i was wrong).

Weird since it s cannabis derived !
And to bad the how to got lost in transition

The following only applies to isomerized product

When reacting cbd with an aluminium containing compound the distillate can come out from the spd head a purple to burgundy red and after 24 hours it all clears up to gold /0range heu
Very likely containing a very high D8 Amount deu to not having taken out all the reagents from the reaction with the washes and filtrations

All I am trying to say is that color can change massively in relative short times
Guess best solution to most of these isseus is water washing to neutral ph