Anyone solve Purple Oxidation from converted D9?

It’s easy to Google. Uvc is not good at penetrating glass. I did not mean PVC, I meant crystal because if you’re using UVC and not a or b, then you’d want Crystal vials (quartz).

Running an experiment on UV degradation I’d want actual uv hitting my substance not the equivalent energy density.

1 Like

also

Most fluorescent tubes are made of standard borosilicate glass however germicidal bulbs are made with a special fused quartz glass. With the glass and no phosphor coating, the 253.7 nm ultraviolet light produced by the mercury arc is passed outside the lamp and used for sterilization rather than general light.Mar 17, 2020

1 Like

Exactly how you say. They are not good at penetrating. Just need enough Power. :slight_smile:

1 Like

seems more like a “run what you brung”. I haz vials, I haz light, I want degradation. lets hook em up.

will those vials give optimal UVC penetration? nope. will having the UV light on speed degradation? probably. guessing @morbiusprime has enough data to demonstrate that or they would have stopped using it (but you know me and donkeys…).

going at it with more transmissive containers would likely speed things up. not sure it would change the results much.

You can get a UV reactor for water and build a pretty simple loop with a Diaphragm pump. You can turn a large portion of d9 into cbn in a few hours.

I’ve been doing alot of work with UV from the garden to the lab.

2 Likes

So your plan is to have CBN not crash then?

The cbn can precipitate out, it collects at the bottom of the stock tank, and fines just circulate through the system. I’ve only messed around with some 50 gallon drums, and I value my d9. I’m not spoon feeding but some other cool shit happens. The setup is like sub $500 for anyone with basic lab hear already.

Thank you! What waxes do you recommend to add in converted d9 and d8 distillate?

I use the wax left from winterisation. 5g of well washed wax (offwhite/gray) is enough for a kg of disty. I simply melt it and pour it on top. It will create n air tight seal that also has some antioxidative effects. It’s easy to remove while cold and if some small particulates will be left it’s not a big deal.

6 Likes

Does purple converted D9 even affect anything?

I’ve been vaping it and haven’t noticed any change at all.

Well find out in 15-30 years time one way or another I suppose. Huge experiment ongoing.

9 Likes

I actually may have the answer to this.

A while ago, I did a pesticide remediation on some distillate with myclo in it. I used wayyy too much Magsil and when I heated my heptane beyond 50C when recovering, it turned purple instantly. I realized I used 4x too much magsil and quarantined the purple batch of solvent as well as the over treated but unheated portion of the batch. The rest went according to plan, though the resulting distillate had a purple ring of death instead of red.

I did a bit of research about magnesium silicate itself and it is actually a very common adsorbent used in commercial frying operations. When frying for long periods, triglycerides break down into all sorts of gunk. Several websites advertise that magnesium silicate is used to remove free fatty acids, mono/diglycerides, rancid fatty acids and other polymerized gunk from fry oil.

I had a bit of stearic acid lying around my lab (18 carbon free fatty acid) so I decided to add about 1mL to the overtreated sample (would turn purple if heated). Upon heating, there was no change in color up to 90C for several minutes whereas the control sample would turn purple rapid after heating to only 50C for 10 seconds. Needless to say I was quite happy that I was able to salvage the color of the overtreated batch. It was getting pretty late so I covered the containers with the purple solution expecting to scrap it, but just for the hell of it, I put a pipette full of stearic acid in each of the purple jars. I come back the next day, and holy shit, the purple color is gone. I should also note that during distillation, the distillate was water clear, however, the residue in the still turned purple after only a few minutes being exposed to the atmosphere.

My hypothesis is that there is some kind of oxidation reaction occurring. My best guess is that the color indicates a reaction being catalyzed by trace heavy metals that were initially chelated by the free fatty acids but are now being coordinated by much less sterically hindered ligands and/or ones with more reactive orbital symmetries. This is very likely a kind of THC quinone that is forming due to the very strong purple color; as many know, cannabinoid quinones are very strongly colored.

This reaction also seems to be reversible indicated by the addition of free fatty acids several hours after the addition reverses the color change, however I’m not sure to what degree because there are several other compounds that can form from THC quniones that are not colored (see papers on HU-331). Pretty cool stuff though.

I think the main reason this occurs with converted distillate is the starting materials are very pure and particularly lack free fatty acids, which inhibit the purple color in one way or the other. Distillate made from flower still has many lipid compounds (like FFAs) that make it through extraction, post processing and distillation and ultimately prevent the purple color many people are seeing.

@Antarctic_Lands This may be something that helps you out. Feel free to hit me up, I can probably give you a quick procedure to help you test this out with ingredients you have kicking around your lab.

8 Likes

Yeah, I retract my last statement, it’s definately bad. Gave mad visuals though.

Nice finding thx :pray:

D9 oxidizes extremely quickly when very pure. Just take a diamond and melt it down taking every step to ensure it stays clear then open it to atmosphere while still warm. It will be bright purple in a matter of seconds. No metals or media required. I think it’s THC quinone. It disappears/turns yellow if you just reheat the oil.

4 Likes

This is because magsil has a pH of 9 and because of that it makes it alot easier to oxidize into thc quinone

HU 331 is made using a base on cbd with oxygen present, hu 336 (thc quinone) can be made the same way

3 Likes

:shushing_face:

So you’re saying @beaker and @circus_animal had it right (or damn near)?!?

4 Likes

I totally forgot about that part!

I read all the procedures mentioning to pH balance otherwise the distillate would turn purple. Knowing that and religiously pH balanced this before solvent recovery. The first batch went purple. I pH balanced it again, same problem. Then I said fuck it and balanced the pH to 5 and it still turned purple. That’s what made me investigate magsil more. Thanks for bringing that up, that was an important detail

I actually made a crude mechanism for this and I think the oxidation reaction consumes oxygen gives off water and the reverse reaction does the opposite. I remember the purple color disappearing during distillation. If anyone has an FTIR, I bet a water formation peak would show up, though there may be a lot of noise compared to the signal since these colors are so strong the quinone could be in ppm levels.

3 Likes

I believe the vivid colors likely come from phenol-quinone coupling. The quinone may be less stable upon time, and further degrades to a yellowish compound under action of O2 and/or UVs.

UV-induced-formation-of-colored-quinoid-structures-quinone-II-charge-transfer-complex

11 Likes