Purification of Crude CBD Extract to Pure Isolate

Hi all, I am new on here. My previous account was “temporarily disabled” because others did not take my post seriously and my account was not reinstated after about 4 days so I just created a new one now that I did some more research, etc.

I’ve extracted some crude hemp oil and want to purify it into CBD isolate. I was reading into BeakerCracked’s methods of purification/winterization. He says to boil your extract dissolved in some isopropanol then vacuum filter through prewet abrasive alumina. I believe this should give me some pretty pure oil because the majority of the waxes/chlorophyll/terpenes are removed in the boiling/filtration process. I have not yet performed this purification procedure but plan on doing it this weekend. My question is: what do I do from here to get my isolate? Is further chromatography required? Can I just boil the solution all the way down after filtration and get pure crystals?

Note:

• I used Bob’s Red Mill Protein Powder “biomass”. I am fairly certain this contains cannabidiol. Here are some photos of what it looks like:

Thank you

1 Like

Not sure why my post was flagged. Please let me know what to fix.

Sorry i flagged it because of the protein powder. Seems highly unorthodox and possibly along the lines of trolling.

Any updates? Lol

5 Likes

Further processing would depend on the CBD content of the filtered crude. You will need at last 70% CBD or more to get good crystallization results. LLE or distillation are recommended as additional refinement steps to get you to high enough CBD content for you to get the best crystallization results. I would bet that using Hemp protein as your source material will not get you the concentrations needed to crystalize.

4 Likes

This makes my head hurt… Are you seriously trying to make Isolate from Hemp Protein Powder? I’m confused

6 Likes

All good. I’m starting to think it doesn’t actually contain any CBD…

2 Likes

Haha seriously, is this a troll thread?

Great, thanks for the advice. I think now I have a pretty good grasp on how I want to refine my oil… Going to have to figure out where to get biomass/crude oil in PA though.

Nope not a troll thread. I genuinely thought the powder contained CBD. I will send pictures once my solvent fully evaporates.

Here is what the website states: “Hemp Protein Powder is made from whole hemp seed meal that has had the oil removed.”

When they say the oil was removed, I’m not quite sure what they mean… at this point I think the powder most likely has little to no CBD.

2 Likes

The more you know…

1 Like

Hey, You need to do a distillation, that will bring up the CBD % up to 85%-90%.
You can get a short path distillation since you are running small batch.
You can find one online cheap and do some research on how to use it. Or you can DM me, i got a write up on how to use it.

1 Like

Jesus Christ… please don’t goad the poor boy on.

2 Likes

Hemp protein powder contains little to no CBD- go back to square one and consider another line of work.

2 Likes

I am not planning on doing this for a job, it’s purely experimentation.

I am interested in furthering the knowledge of everyone here through my own research and experimentation. Sorry if I offended you.

Start with some biology. Go read a book from the data dump on how cannabis is put together.

No. We did not take you seriously. It’s very hard to take the concept of isolating a compound found in the glandular trichomes, from starting material that contains NONE seriously. So the general consensus was you were trolling.

I applaud you for trying again.

I suggest you start here
Data Dump! (Scientific Papers) Check the books, and general biology

6 Likes

@cyclopath setting folks right on the nicest possible way! :+1:Its good to see someone not fly off the handle.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll get to researching. I still have to figure out where to get biomass in PA though. Hmm…

1 Like

Try using the search bar for " hemp biomass" or pm/call some of the verified vendors on here.

Or grow your own

Yeah. I can’t legally grow my own in PA but I found this on Google: Cloud N9ne CBD Flower - AC/DC (Indoor) - Buy Legal Meds
It seems overpriced as hell though… $9.99/gram

FWIW You also can’t legally process hemp without a liscense.

2 Likes