Pumping a slurry into a centrifuge running at low speed

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

they even make ones that would clean up the tooling used to manipulate your extracts (dab tools)

2 Likes

Here is a good video showing how well the centrifugal filtration works. We were adding dirt/clays/solids to the solution and it never missed a beat!

2 Likes

Ive had quotes out from dolphin centrifuge on disk stacks for a few weeks now, they remanufacture alfa laval units and are a steal of a deal.

Im considering using a lenticular after the disk stack simply for the ease of use- bentonite impregnated lenticulars are so convenient compared to packing columns with dirt.

3 Likes

With relatively fresh material we ran straight from a VincentCorp screw press (CP-6VT) at 5 gpm to a recirculating holding tank and then through a disc bowl dsic stack centrifuge as part of our automated turnkey set-up.

Here is a vid of the results we got to straight from screw press to disc bowl https://www.instagram.com/p/CR9oRG4F8Cx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mind you it wasnā€™t a matter of just going out and buying any model Disc Bowl and then plug/play and your are off to the races. Rowanā€¦ the model that was in the Yerington shop wouldnā€™t have worked, not to mention starting up some $9K old disc stack centrifuge picked up at auction is a very, very bad idea.

It took a lot of pre-purchase testing with different units, then set-up testing with incoming temperature!, flow rate! and rate/cycle of the pushes! to expel the solids. You get it right and you get particulate removal and also removal of waxesā€¦ in general, we got a 16 gallons of clean flow for every 1 gallon of push ( those pushes were 80% solids down to sub 1 micron and 20% ethanol/oil mix which you can separate in a gravity decant).

OK. So I said fresh materialā€¦ IF You go out and buy a bunch of cheap/crappy 2019 and 2020 material which is dry as shit, has been milled down to dust. Well then you are in for a big world of hurt with a Vincent screw pressā€¦ or any screw press. What you save on biomass cost you will pay back in multiple for additional filtration systems youā€™ll have to install. The disc bowls get really finicky when you push far over 7% particulates by volume.

My lead ChemE and I will be at the Miami GLG event if any of you are going to be there, and want to talk shop.

The value isnā€™t in knowing what I said aboveā€¦ it is about knowing how to set it up

1 Like

here is the reaction conveyor we designed to feed the VincentCorp screw press. itā€™s cold. some have bought non-jacketed for water SOPs. I agree with the comments about cold not being friendly on CapEx, OpEx but you have to get the waxes out or keep them from getting in, in the first place. Not to mention cold keeps sugars out of your stream also.

We originally looked at membrane set-ups and for the flow rate we had we were quoted $350K+ā€¦ and also at the time the data was unproven at bestā€¦ so we went cold.
coming out of the screw press and using a diaphragm pump to transfer to the recirculating tankā€¦ well we are at -10c. thatā€™s after the liquid/solid separation of the screw press. That last stage or two of compression on the screw press accounted for the heat increase to -10c and itā€™s was such a short period, and 80% of the flow is already done that it doesnā€™t seem to suddenly pull much waxes

we make these reaction conveyors to pair with a CP-4, CP-6 or CP-10 VincentCorp press. they are not straight screw set-ups like the helderpad vids seem to show. there are adjustable process controls inside. reach out for more info, or maybe see you in Miami

2 Likes

great idea as your ā€˜pushesā€™ are going to be followed by a second or even three of ā€˜less than idealā€™ clean flow. it can be sort of acceptable at times but at other times youā€™ll see through the site glass that wayyyy to much went through which means youā€™ll need to run the re-circ tank after the disk stack through the disk stack a second time.

the lintic will catch those releases. it just then comes down to cost in time/consumable

1 Like

We never used a disk stack in yerington, there was a small mountain of unused equipment out there thst was never plumbed in.

filtration was done via bag filters and alumina columns.

I am no longer working with hemp so a lot of this filtration insanity will be mitigated by not having to deal with full stalks of kiln dried, hammered milled, cellulosic hemp-

2 Likes

Yep, I was there a bunch as a field engineer for Vincent (rob). saw you, Joel, DB, DaveM, Justin, Hector!, Joseā€¦ and then Tom (grrrr.) and of course Merlinā€¦ i mean david. When I saw the disc bowl I was likeā€¦ Do not turn that on until you at least know itā€™s balanced. any unknown history disc stack needs to go to a shop for breakdown/assessment before spinning it up. IMO. r

1 Like

Algae centrifuges operate by pumping in a slurry

2 Likes