Pumping a slurry into a centrifuge running at low speed

Hugs!

A fuge basket got loose and hits you youā€™re most likely dead. It being full of solvent and going off track and spinning at you at high rpm thatā€™s also a flamethrower spinning at you.

A closed loop hydrocarbon extraction unit like Butane/Propane/Isobutaneā€¦ Itā€™s a live grenade that you can and have to diffuse but make no mistake the solvent leaks and finds its way to an ignition source and its game fucking over.

A c02 extraction unit can do serious damage with the explosions that could occur of something went wrongā€¦ A c02 extraction unit is an automatic high pressure bomb that could nearly obliterate the operating environment and most likely kill or paralyze someone unlucky enough to be around it.

Thereā€™s a lot more that can happen like burning the shyt out of yourself on a rosin press that accidentally starts to have cascading heat issues and you end up on fire or burning your flesh so bad it looks like a plastic toy being meltedā€¦ think of robot chicken.

ā€¦ A vaccum pump could catch fire and explode. A beaker could burst with solvent in it. A heating mantle or water bath could go faulty mid run. Water chillers could go faulty mid run. An electrical fire. Your lights going out and the back up generators cause a spark and an explosion happens.

ā€¦ Always be mindful of the possibilities and the fire exits.:point_up:t2:

4 Likes

This is why i am going with a vapor tight @VincentCorp1931 screw press.

Whats gonna happen with a screw press? Theyā€™re brutally effective and simple tools.

Depends the type of centrifuge used. There are continuous style vertical basket centrifuges out there. The few that I have seen have a raised spindle bowl to allow for liquid/solids present while spinning.

I wouldnā€™t recommend it on a typical centrifuge we see in our industries, good way for the centrifuge to walk away lol.

1 Like

Yes, you can indeed drive screws into any substance you like with a big enough hammer.

A screw press in my experience is a filtration/OPx nightmare. Literarily the last type of liquid/solid separation I would recommend.

would you care to share your experience?

The amount of undesirables and suspended solids that make it through on the fluid stream is a lot.

A centrifuge is a much cleaner liquid/solid separation IMO. Granted there is generally a secondary solvent removable on the decanter and batch inputs on a standard top-load centrifuge.

After building a massive continuous automated chilled decanter setup, I just believe the simplistic way of a top load centrifuge is the way to go. Dry Material in, solvent in, soak, drain, spin, Dry Material out. Again just my opinion, feel free to DM me and we can chat on the phone if you want to!

I run a pretty extensive post purification routine that takes care of all of that.

Cryo ethanol is IMO the worst thing you can possibly do for OPx, but its simple to understand and easy to sell so there is mass appeal.

I make a lot of topicals, cannabis wax is actually valuable to me, Iā€™m a whole hog type of butcher and have been my whole life

5 Likes

from a ā€œwhole hogā€ perspective, if youā€™ve got the cedarstone and donā€™t have the Vincent, I reckon you should run what you brung. Iā€™d skip the slurry loading unless you can also get the fuge to empty itself. if youā€™ve got to pull a bag out, and empty it, you might as well put biomass in it before throwing in back inā€¦

Iā€™m mean Vincents are cool and shitā€¦

1 Like

Pretty sure that one of the sales reps for Vincent is associated with Plant Works Group and they donā€™t even use the screw press for primary dewatering/solvent removal of their slurry. I believe they go decanter then screw press. Iā€™ve always took the that to mean their aware of/ implicitly agree with what @EngineerZach is saying.

In my personal interactions with them, they recommended I have a settling tank after the press for the large amount of sludge/suspended solids it produces. Even with that, we used 8-10 more bag filters relative to our top loading centrifuge in a day

1 Like

put a 1um liner in your fuge ==> the only filtration needed is for shit that missed the bag.

1 Like

The .5 micron clay particles will still be an issue.

The harder it is to get ethanol into the bag, it is even harder to get the ethanol and oil out as a solution. Anything below 100 micron on material bags has shown a noticeable yield loss with all other variables linear.

1 Like

only if youā€™re trying to get the ethanol into the bag through the liner. not what I suggested. (if I meant 1um BAG, I would have said so).

a small filter (or centrifuge!) before solvent recovery solves the ā€œfinesā€ issueā€¦and catches the small amount that misses the bag.

if youā€™re suggesting that turning gravity up to 1000 and filtering to 1um is harder than filtering to 1um through the same material using pressure, I respectfully ask that you examine your data. itā€™s the same tincture, and Iā€™m suggesting the same felt that folks are using for bag filters. Iā€™m suggesting greater surface area and higher forces. why would it be more difficult?

You are talking about Rob from @PlantWorksGroup and ya all of those guys are closely connected. Last time I was there the PWG office was at the Vincent mfg facility.

We had just gotten the centrifuge and process dialed in prior to the hemp crash.

A disk stack centrifuge with an auto-desludger is the best way to filter suspended solids out of a fluid stream. It is a small footprint, has extremely low OP-x, and can remove particles sub .5 micron.

If you are doing a decent scale, I would ditch all bags, cartridges, and presses for the centrifuge for filtration.

P.S. You can also get creative to remove water-solubles in the same setup.

5 Likes

One reasonably ideal process is almost entirely centrifuges.

Centrifuges for solid/liquid separation, centrifuges for liquid/liquid separation, centrifuges for extraction, membranes to clean up the waste.

3 Likes

Most vertical basket centrifuges are not designed to be spinning with large amounts of liquid in them, you know this already.

Also a bag filter is never 100% filtration rate, more around 80-85%. So further polishing would be needed prior to primary solvent evaporation.

As I stated earlier, using a disk-stack centrifuge with a desludger is the lowest OP-X you will find if running at decent scale.

2 Likes

yep. flooding them is for chumps

OP has a cedarstone 150.

beyond ~30lb bags, using bags seems pretty dumb too (running 50-60lb bags in 800mm fuges atm).

Iā€™ve got four 1200mm basket rigs that might take 200lb bags on deck next. told the client it was the wrong moveā€¦but I get to run what they brung, so weā€™ll see where that goes.

edit: OP does NOT have the cedarstone.

1 Like

I can get behind that!

1 Like