Proper decarboxylation temperatures

I’ve done from 5ml to 300 ml. No change in time nor temp

I find it 100% easier to decarb in my spd flask, no vac untill smooth as a lake in the bf

4 Likes

What temp for this method?

Slowly ramp up to 130c amd hold until smooth as a lake

11 Likes

how long does that usually take you?

Not sure
I slowly ramp up the temps as I finish purging and decarb thru this step.

I’m guessing 1hr or so

1 Like

I go upto 150c inder vary deep vac after 140 there alot that just pours our. It has that oily look and if i do a wayer wash in the roto it takes even more out

whats your average batch size? time per litre at 150c?

Usually about 3.5/4 liters once i hit 100c in the 20l i tranfer and decard in a 5l. Abojt an hour ir so I usually ket got until the slime stops coming. At 105 rpm

2 Likes

No separate chart for decarb under vac.

It makes the bubbles go away but does nothing to speed the chemical reaction taking place. That reaction is entirely heat dependent (till you add a catalyst…).

3 Likes

Are you decarbing CBD?

Did you check the graph up top? (THC)

2 Likes

At what temperature are you finding the conversion to CBN.

Absolutely true. I don’t get the vac thing. I do however always vac after decarb before distilling. I use a large stock pot on an electric griddle with overhead stirrer. You gotta have a lot of headspace unless you are constantly monitoring the process. With gradual heating decor starts at about 150 F and I don’t go over 220 F. Takes 4-6 hrs for 4L of crude but I’ve always got 3 or 4 other things going on so I just let it do it’s thing.

Old as fuck but when baking, most foods contain mostly water so you will never reach over 212F until the water is gone.

This is why oil based baked goods like brownies work so much better, the internal temp can reach above 212F and this completely Decarb

3 Likes

Pretty sure this chart is for decarbing flower specifically and it takes slightly longer with extracts due to the relative density/initial insulating properties of distillate/extract.

1 Like

The chart is a useful…it’s a good datapoint. But nothing beats testing material before and after decarb.

For many years the inhabitants of the internet have treated this graph as gospel. A quick review readily shows why it’s not a reliable source.

First, it’s the decarb of a hexane extract in an open container on a hot plate. And yes, with this material in these circumstances you can’t get a full Decarb without destroying THC.

1 Like

As a former certified chef, anytime you cook or bake anything at all, internal temps will never reach over 180f, even baking at 500f.

Proof is here.
Most meats must be cooked until an internal temp is 165f. It takes chicked breasts 30 mins at 400f to hit 165*f.

2 Likes

Maybe if you used a high speed mixer to ensure even heating? :thinking:

That’s very true, oil based baked good will still get hotter faster then water based though

1 Like

No matter what you cook, even a filet on the grille will never get above 180f. Maybe 200 if cooking well done.

This is why decarb is a must before baking to ensure a thoroughly decarbd product for ingestion.

5 Likes

Again I definitely agree, I’ve used only distillate for edibles for years now