Propane

Hey guys my boss got a tank of propane last week .
Whats good to make with it was leaning towards badder but what other options do I have :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

add it slowly to ur butane so u dont screw up anything…u can make heavy propane mixes to stay safer. I’d suggest prvs if u ever plan to try this. also to more propane to the butane technically the less you can add for full tank. propane has ridiculous psi and hard to slam to zero and fully condense unless u have proper cooling methods. and if it gets stuck somewhere and warms up your pressure will rise fast

to run pure propane u need rig rated for the situation. and standard cls usually isnt it

7 Likes

We have the percision x10 so its rated for 100 % propane our solvent can go -70 f if needed

3 Likes

rock on…

try good live resin. I seen some fire made from.straight propane before

although when I was done I would wanna run a lil butane to.make sure I was getting all the target molecules

if you miss the pour scrap her out and jar it but that would suck to have to do

4 Likes

One thing I noticed with pure propane is that you need to extend your soak times a little bit.

12 Likes

Some pho shatter would be super stable if you back full the oven & have a crystalline look possibly? Just basing this off the pho I’ve seen in the past

1 Like

Griffin.Labs

Oct '19

Will do, so this started when I was trying to separate the terps and cannabinoids and get 2 or more fractions off a run. That made me want to try something more like traditional chromatography by using my different propane/butane blends as my solvent gradient to elute different things at different times through the clays. Going through the clays, your terps come out first, then your cannabinoids come out, then some of the bigger stuff.

I started with -30C 100% propane, and used AA, Silica 60, and Bentonite. 100g/lb on decent trim.

Ran the run like normal and at the end there was a clear liquid on the bottom of collection vessel. Which on a propane run, no muffin is odd, because it’s bp is so low. The oil was room temp it looked exactly like water, wasn’t boiling at all, the smell was better then the bag, it looked exactly like what you get from floraplex on a non cannabis terpene blend.

With the viscosity of it, and bp of propane I wouldn’t be surprised if it came out of the collection vessel almost solvent free. I think it happened because the little propane molecules couldn’t hold on to the cannabinoids through the powders at the temperature only the smaller terps molecules. I wasn’t able to test the terps, I still can, if I pay for it myself.

Knowing I had most of the run caught up in the clays, I went ahead and used a 70/30 butane heavy blend. I rewashed the material again to grab any extra cannabinoids the propane didn’t grab and then sent that over the same clays. I recovered pretty warm because i figured the color wasn’t going to be good.

I was surprised what came out was straight white powder. There were a few parts that had a bit of a styrofoam feel to it i think from the 1% terpenes left in it. I chopped it up vac’d it down and sent to testing to find out it was almost isolate wtih 94.5% total cannabinoids from trim!

Pics will be in the next post. Feel free to shoot me any questions I hope this helps someone I have been wanting to contribute more but am unable to a lot of the time due to NDA’s.

liked this

I would recomend reading @Griffin.Labs
His experience with propane and his recommendation s
Another golden pebble of this great place

15 Likes

just run it straight, makes good sauce, shatter, badder, ext!

14 Likes

Check with your manufacturer first to see if your equipment can handle propane. If it can’t you’re going to pop a top really quick

4 Likes

good to go?

1 Like

I have been doing this for some time with CBD material. I run using 100% propane. Generally speaking without higher temps propane is rather poor solvent for CBD, if you have the ability to lower the vapor pressure via pulling on it with your recovery pump, or to simply chill your collection vessel it is quite easy to precipitate your cannabinoids from solution. What I have moved through the media column is typically a clear and viscous solution containing my remaining THC fraction, terpenes, and whatever fraction of CBD is still soluble in this heterogenous mix. The on few times I have quantified, seems to be about 15-20% CBDA. The remaining 5.5% that you have within that isolated precipitate (94.5%) is most likely waxes and fats that can be then removed via traditional winterization techs.

Good to know that there are others that have experimented with unique properties propane for extraction cannabinoids.

1 Like

I always had problems with pure propane runs, that the socks would get stuck in the column from the propane having completely evaporated and leaving oil on the sides. Have other people had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

1 Like

17 Likes

15 Likes

Thanks for crediting me I really appreciate it! Hope the info helped you and anyone else who got to try it!

9 Likes

I have had this issue when dialing in run times for new biomass lots. With socks, I think the only means of remedy is longer run times. Propane, because of its volatility (high VP/low bp), it likes to channel. Maybe you could try an end of run soak, if that is not too time consuming. In fact I don’t think material socks as they are today are ideal for maximizing yields. In order to prevent channeling the sock material should not be porous along the column length, and open only at the bottom. This way all channeling is “intrasock” instead of bypassing the sock altogether.

1 Like

I was doing a soak actually. And the yields were quite good. The socks would just get fused to the column side with oil residue. With butane i never had that problem because they’d still be a little “damp” when the run was finished.

1 Like

I gottcha. My system is unique in that it recirculates the propane without sending it back a solvent collection vessel. The vapor created from heating product collection is recondensed and used to further extract. So there is never a full column of solvent, more of dense vapor and liquid propane in a steady state. I don’t think it is ideal, but it does work well when considering throughput. Of course that is not the only way to run it, but suggested by the OEM.

2 Likes

If anyone in CO needs some propane still have these deodorized bottles for sale:

1 Like

Is it from @IlluminatedExtractor