Propane and lipids

You responded that it would be easy in reference to my comment about programming this into an automated process. You’ve named an equation and displayed a data model, and said that the analogue information from the transmitter is sent to a calculator. This doesn’t accomplish a real world objective. I would like to see your logic/code to controlling this process. then how to record-> aggregate-> process data. Also you’'ll need a camera with visual recognition software to look for bubbles and dew, then use that to create logic to establish the P1Sat P2Sat and integrate those terms. Then at the end of all of this make it make sense in the terms of using automation to make hash more efficiently than a human can. (which time-wise is 15-25% more efficient in case you were curious).

Referencing math from the internet is easy, ill agree with that.

What you’re talking about has been done–when I get some time to sit down and provide an actual solution, I will do my best to illustrate how I think it could be done simply.

“Really easy” was a stretch–it would probably take quite a bit of work to accomplish what you’re saying here.

All i’m saying is–given pressure, temperature and the identity of the two components you can calculate the composition of the liquid and the vapor–that part is not hard. Basic chemE separations 1.

3 Likes

delete

5 Likes

I can understand why. Process dyanamics and controls is a immensely complicated discipline.

So I totally take back the word “easy”. The implementation of a program that would calculate the composition of the liquid/vapor, that could then make logic based process decisions—that would be quite difficult.

On the other hand, the mathematics are there. And if you want to get super accurate you can begin to deviate from Henry’s or Raoult’s laws and start looking at more complex vapor modeling laws like Redlich-Kwong-Soave.

I didn’t realize you have done all that, that’s incredible.

I have to admit I’m a bit jealous, I’ve always dreamed of bringing more automation into the hydrocarbon process and you actually done it. I am limited in my programming and automation knowledge, although I really have enjoyed I’ve done with PLCs and PIDs

If you’re ever looking for any additional chemical engineering help or whatever I’d like to learn more and help if I can

Glad we’re on the same page, also :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes this is quite true.

I think the dynamics of it would become quite complicated.

If one were to actually hookup a GC-FID for the purpose of auto sampling the vapor, one might be able to pull it off—though there would be a latency in the data output.

I think the development of an algorithm for determining the compositions would happen in sort of quanta where you’re getting a reading every x time period. As opposed to something like a temperature transmitter providing a virtually instantaneous result.

Another, even more complex component of this is—where would the “device be applied” if it’s in the collection vessel, yikes.

Now we’re taking a multi-component system with hundreds of volatile compounds and cannabinoids, lipids, etc.

it says the bubble and dew point calculations have to be done in a straight ramp up or down. if one walked into the room and sample the tanks T and P it would be inconclusive.

to take reading every x time there is a function block which uses a pulse in the logic gate which moves and stores information

you just have to dive into books and get state of the art automation programs. pay the thousands of dollars it’s worth it. ive always loved science i felt like chemistry and physics got me far but didn’t like how electronics was a mystery to me. i spent the last year studying programming and electrical engineering. i think it’s a natural progression for people in our field. if you want to trade more ideas im happy to

1 Like

dont have to use propane for vapor push, butane alone can supply plenty of pressure too!

1 Like

Use to do that with the first bfe doing crude, heat up the first column and just leap frog around only
Giving the gas the ability to exit outta the full column. Works like a champ