Propaganda : It Works!

Future, leave this guy be. He is stuck on that Eskomo weed, you know the type that can only be grown every 12yrs on the side of a glacier that faces south. Meaning he is marketing in fiction territory.

1 Like

I think however you’re underestimating the placebo effect on this. I think in many ways the labeling and description the vendor gives, and their influence on the user’s expectations, impact the experience as much as the terpenes do. Set and setting affect weed just like other drugs. It reminds me of a famous story of Owsley. He made a batch of acid and put it on three different colors of blotter to see what would happen. And soon enough he heard the consensus getting passed around “oh, the purple’s really speedy and the red’s calm, but stay away from the yellow ones” even though they were the exact same thing.

10 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

So then Terpenes aren’t that important to the effect?

You guys are silly. I can smell a plant and tell you how it’s gonna make me feel for the most part. It’s really simple. Fruity/bright smells are “sativa”, while earthy/darker smells are indica. Then you smoke it and find out

3 Likes

I’m confused. Are you telling your customers how they should feel with an “indica” vs a “Sativa” or not?

1 Like

When a group of strains were analysed for Terpene content, and compared against their supposed Sativa / Indica label, there was very little correlation to the smell (Terpene) and the label.

1 Like

At least we got back to the title of this thread. “Propaganda: It Works!”

To be clear, I completely agree that the placebo effect is powerful af. That’s why people can eat 5mg of CBD and feel better.

5 Likes

I think terpenes have some effect but in terms of subjective experience effects of expectation may actually be higher. I think there’s a reason to this day people are saying “Indicas give you a body high while sativas are heady”, even though like you said there is no terpene correlation. It’s because they were primed to believe those were the effects and so that’s the effects they experienced. If you gave them the same two buds and then told them that the sativa was indica and the indica was sativa, I think by and large they would experience the inverse effects.

2 Likes

Not.

I may do a “some people say…” but always follow it up with “but I can’t tell the difference.”

2 Likes

So, in theory, you could give someone a vape pen with straight disty and another with a bunch of terps, and tell them the straight disty is “Indica” and will get you much higher vs the terped one, which we will call “Sativa” which we tell them will make them sleepy.

Best not to make claims in this industry, less the FDA come knocking

1 Like

Yes, as long as they don’t know enough to question why one has flavor and the other doesn’t. And I actually have experience customers asking for “sativa distillate” vs “indica distillate” (no terpenes added) and after sale claiming they got the 'characteristic effects" of them.

There is more to a high then thc and terpenes. There is also hormones, flavanoids, esters, and different cannabinoids. “Indicas” mostly have more of a tendency to have myrcene as the dominant terpene, with some occurences with beta caryophyllene, limonene, or pinene as dominant terpenes, but almost always not terpinolene. “Sativas” tend to have more variation in terpene dominance and can be myrcene, pinene, limonene and terpinolene. I have read this in studies but have also seen it from terpene analysis of hundreds of strains.

"β-myrcene was the dominant terpene in almost all the strains, with the exceptions of strains 6, 7, 8 and 12. α-terpinolene was detected in high % in some ‘mostly sativa’ strains (7, 8, 9, 10 and 12), with strains 7 and 8 having α-terpinolene as the dominant terpene (respectively 41.8±7.2% and 37.3±3.5%), while it was not detected or it was detected in traces in ‘mostly indica’ strains and in some ‘mostly sativa’ strains (5, 6 and 11). "

3 Likes

Propaganda, labeling, profiles etc. aside, the reason people are dying is because they are buying off the street. How many times do people have to be told that if it looks to good to be true then it probably is.
Human nature bites hard.

Let me guess you are owner or part owner of a licensed Cannabis company

2 Likes

Nope.

Well,

I’ve never been dissapointed buying weed “off the street” in San diego, in fact all the best weed I’ve smoked has been “off the street”.

“Propaganda aside”, meanwhile you’re spewing propaganda

5 Likes

One gentleman died buying from a dispensary in Oregon.

2 Likes

Also to be noted is different cannabinoid levels, including the note that relatively high levels of cbg (not talking cbg dominant strains though) and thcv seem to be exclusively from sativa landrace or mostly sativa background.

My opinion is that the difference in high between the average “indica” and the average “sativa” is fairly self evident, however when taken in context we have to admit to the vast majority of cannabis the average user consumes being hybrids. Maybe 99% or higher. Even landraces now have a decent chance of having some % of foreign genes. So yeah, some “indicas” (“indica dominant hybrids”) can give you anxiety or a trippy head high, while quite a few “sativas” can make you tired. Almost all of these I would say are hybrids, and when growers tell you the %indica/sativa of their untested hybrids, they are often just guessing bases on growth characteristics or supposed genetics. As an example both white russian and white rhino are described by some as indicas/indica doms, while for me they tend to give me fairly psychedelic head highs. They also come with a body stone and for this reason and the fact that one of the parents is a south indian strain, people often say this indica dominance thing. The truth is that in southern india, which is more jungle then high desert, the strain produced would be labeled by most unfamiliar with yhe strain as a sativa. Another great example is chocolate thai/chocolope. They both tend to be a bit more relaxed then their “sativa” heritage may belie, with people noting they are more narcotic, less psychedelic then their other entirely or almost entirely sativa heritaged cousins.
For these reasons and more, I believe that most can usually notice a difference between the “two types”(at least on a greater picture level) but that there is absolutely no guarantee of a type of high coming from a cultivar based on it being “indica/indica dom” or “sativa/sativa dom”. I could go on and on about this but I’m done shitting so I’m gonna go be productive instead.

6 Likes