Prevent decarboxylation when grinding?

Is there a way to grind flower / trim into a preroll consistency without decarb’ing in the process? Maybe some alternative to grinding?

I’ve heard of cryogrinders that operate at subzero temperatures. That is crazy expensive / intensive for my purposes.

Perhaps just freezing the material to subzero temperatures, then crushing it by rolling over it?

Could you make good prerolls by combining trim with finely ground material? Unconcerned about decarb’ing the latter material when grinding it.

Thca flower?!?

Do you actually have data suggesting it’s a problem?

Share?!?

That’s only if you buy a cannabis oriented solution.

Get some liq N2 and play…

https://bionanogenomics.com/videos/liquid-nitrogen-grinding-tutorial/

3 Likes

We have a couple Futurola OG Shredders and they work great. No heat at all and shred in literal seconds.

1 Like

I just learned of the issue this week. THCA flower, and it happens with CBD flower, too. Can be 0.7% THCA, and 0.25% D9 – then goes non-compliant after grinding.

1 Like

Scale?!?

Grinder you’re currently using?!?

Some would claim it never was compliant…but that’s between you and your legal advisor

3 Likes

Slowly pour liquid nitrogen on the grinder

Timing and amount is important. As is grinder used.

Wouldn’t try freezing the strings in a futurolla for instance

I know others have tried freezing material before grinding (not sure what temp). Did not work.

I just use one of those modified meat grinders from custom cones.

I just need to turn ~10 lbs of material into prerolls per month. So pretty small scale.

What about freezing the material with LN2 and then crushing it as opposed to grinding it?

Probably would end up too fine?

2 Likes

I watched the video @cyclopath posted. Could that be done semi-efficiently at scale?

1 Like

Try it.

Possibly. Which is where FAFO comes into play

3 Likes

I don’t think that guy used liquid nitrogen. I bet he put the material in a regular freezer.

But how would you scale up that mortar & pestle? Can’t be spending 30 mins every 3.5g’s!! :joy:

There is a giant hand grinder you can order from Santa Cruz (email them). This shouldn’t activate your weed when you grind it and you can also use dry ice to keep it extra cool.
download

3 Likes

I used CO2, that means it’s solventless and I can charge a premium right?!?

3 Likes

You really think it wouldn’t activate? I’m thinking it’s the friction, not the heat from an electric grinder. But I am [scientifically] an idiot.

You could control the grinding to prevent activation, while an electric motor is just going to go and keep grinding material until it is out of the grinding area. This seems to have a lot of surface area and metal to spread out the heat and sink it. You could get the metal cold pretty easy with this.

1 Like

No you can’t make “good” pre rolls by adding trim. Who wants to smoke trim? As long as you print “trim added” to the packaging at least it’s not completely misleading

I would posit that those who are getting high smoking “hemp” prerolls are not actually in position to care…the fact that they have access at all is probably their major concern.

3 Likes

Like all the other hemp players you need the grinder that adds thca isolate into the flower to keep the numbers compliant.

Infuse the prerolls with THCompliantA

3 Likes

Any odds this is just a sampling issue?
i.e you grabbed a low d9 bud before grinding, then a (relatively) high d9 sample of milled material after grinding? might be worth taking 5 samples of each and taking the average

1 Like