Pretty sure I just ruined my first spd.

It’s Solid now. Looks better then I would of thought. But smells just like burnt rubber

Did you actually distill that? Or did it stay in the boiling flask.

Looks completely normal for low budget crude.

2 Likes

The pump is not sufficient. I got my alacatal 2021i for 500 used. Theyre out there.
2nd… Bro use hose clamps. Cmon. I like the ones from the auto store that have a “butterfly” on them so you can tighten it by hand with no tools.

Also you want the hoses as short as possible

He only has a 500ml spd. Thats the crude for sure

Chances are you will have a little degration but not alot. Dont stress. Just do what was said here in the thread. And start fresh with a better pump. Worse case is youll have a little more cbn but the thc is still there. The burnt rubber smell is normal for crude coming outta the bf.

Edit: ive never had over a few % cbn and that was in my learning process makimg mistakes such as yourself so dont trip on that. You will have thc

4 Likes

Crude is probably still in good condition if it only ran for 30 minutes. 235C is a bit hot for CBD crude, you should be getting distillate at much lower temps and heads even lower. Smell could have been due to the high heat on the crude, especially if it was not winterized properly. A better vac will help a lot too.

What is the vacuum depth of the pump blanked off
The pump is not great but should get you well below 100microns and enough cfm for your volume

4 Likes

This is thc but its still hot but not the worst

1 Like

Your right. I just realized that is the hfs 12cfm pump.
I have a friend that used that pump on his 5L spd when his main pump was down. He had to run hotter. I believe he said mains came out between 230-240. Said color was not the worse either.
That pump will work. Im putting money on the fact that you dont have hose clamps ANYWHERE that your leaking.
If that pump worked on a 5L, a 500ml will work. Test the pump blanked off. If new no need. Its the hose clamps.

Edit: i dont know if he was running full bore which would make a difference.

Edit again: get rid of that thermocouple and get a thermowell. Use pump oil as heat transfer fluid. If you must use a head thermoprobe for this sytem and not just a plug, get a thermowell for your head also. Those adapeter you have LEAK like crazy

3 Likes

Sorry guys went to go grab a bite to eat and disassembled my entire spd and cleaned it cuz it smells like s***… I used the hose clamps that go down with a flat head but if I went to hard it would dig into the hose

1 Like

Check my edit

1 Like

What’s your opinion on the Ptfe thermometer adapters? I bought a thermowell for my boilng flask but not my head.

I was going to use a Ptfe thermometer adapter and a temp probe in it but now you have me questioning that idea

I have only used the ones pictured. And thermowells. So I cant comment on them

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks man!

1 Like

That burnt rubber smell is probably azulene.
Things got hot.
Azulene smells like burnt rubber
You can probably scrub it out by dissolving in EtOH and treating with AC at about 20 wt % and 50 C.

If I plan on trying to distill this again, would you suggest I still do that?

Also I want to point out that right now I have an inconvenience with being able to get to my short path as it’s two hours away from my house. So that was kind of the reason I had to rush today although if I could take it back I would obv. I currently packed it up and I’m bringing to my house to just check vacuum levels cuz unfortunately I can’t run with product cuz the smell.

2 Likes

Hose clamps and rubber hosing certainly isent the preferable way to do things but you should still be able to pull it off, if you shorten them.

Honestly for $299 you could just buy a very used rotary vane or something similar off Ebay and give it some new pump oil and should still be able to hit at least 35micron. 5000micron is almost certainly a vacuum leak.

I find a lot of new guys try to solve the problem by greasing the shit out of ground glass joints and tighten hose clamps till their hands bleed… but honestly having proper technique with how you grease joints and running a proper 2 stage rotary vane pump should yield you at least ok results. If your vacuum pressure is in the 4 digit range and you had to ramp up to 230+ degrees Celsius you are almost guaranteed to have a vacuum leak. I buy almost all of my pumps used and some elbow grease + a little know how almost always breathes life in them. I’ve gotten over 90% pure D9 distillate off a 4" WFE in one pass using a used E2M2 before in a pinch, and that’s definitely more volume of system to pump down than a 500mL spd

Your burnt ass rubber smell is probably roasted terpenes, a proper spd run and or an activated carbon scrub should deal with that.

6 Likes

On a 500ml boiling flask, that would be my response too…

2 Likes

And we though the vac lines were too long? See if you can’t fix this part as well…

4 Likes

I’ve done so much reading on the extraction part and did everything pretty well and got some great color full spectrum crude and barely a hiccup happened because everything was thought out before hand.

I jumped into this and luckily got a full setup from a forum member. Really jumped the gun on this for the most part. Currently have the setup close by and will run dry vacuums tests until I reach atleast under 300 hopefully before I attempt this again.

You guys make it look easy…

What I learned is always go a step above before anything. Appreciate the help guys and hopefully i get this done correctly this next time!