Pre Distillation prep advice

Hello everyone,
I was looking for some advice on how to prep some ethanol crude, Extracted/ran this process:
Using delta cup 15 with an across international chiller (pg solvent) @-30.
Ethanol @ room temp for 10 min washes
Then filtered at around room temp aswell using a summit pig ( only fast micron)
Followed by ares evap for ethanol recovery.
The biomass is really bad aswell.
I tried to run it in spd and I started to pull distillate into the cold trap while I thought in my body so probably wasnt
I was a@ 210c mantle and act there, with the condenser @40c (which is probably another reason too should be around 100c) at 650rpm.

This is basically how it was prep and now I have about 50 liters of crude sitting here pulling my hair out.
I was reading up water washes and winterizing techniques to prep more properly but I with so many options, I’m not too sure what would be my most effective option to get this ran sooner than later. If it means sepfunneling all 50 liters or using activate charcoal, silca60 or winterzing and filtering again.

What do you mean by ethanol @ room temp for 10 min washes? Did you extract the biomass at -30 or at room temp?

1 Like

Cryo wash
Filter
Evap
Decarb
Spd

2 Likes

The body for the delta is set at -30 ethanol was chilled for about an hour before use with dry ice. Which I dont think was close to cryo temps

@Demontrich so I should cryo wash the crude again correct? Then stick to the same process :+1:
I think not getting down to the proper temp might be making the spd more tedious to do.

I would say you also have a vacuum leak if you’re sucking distillate into your cold trap

1 Like

How much crude do ya have?

Maybe do a small test batch vs the whole batch.
This way you can see if it needs winterized or not.

1 Like

About 50 liters of it. Which is alot to me right now…
I gna try to do 15 liters of it for a run in the spd.
So I plan on doing a 3:1 ratio of ethanol:crude, winterize (dry ice for 8hrs) all I got right now. Then filter it again and run through the evap, decarb again and run through the spd.
Or do you think running as is will be better option. With right parameters.

I’m just trying to figure out how to process these liters asap. But iknow if not well prep its gna make the spd hell.
If winterize the crude is better than wasting time (not really just dont have that equipment rn other than trying picking up small scale processes) trying other methods to clean the crude as much as possible.

@TrillOrganics vac was under 500 micron the whole time. I also didnt get head condenser at a near enough temps which I think pulling

I’d grab 1x 1500ml (half gal mason jar) and do a winterization on it and see what happens.

You can also further it by using a buchner funnel (fritted disc) and celite 545, AO. If freezer cold, the AO will stop lipids and waxes from being filtered.

2 Likes

1500 crude: 3000 ethanol. Then stuff that into dry ice. :+1:
AO?
Yeah keeping it cold is my biggest problem w/o cryo freezer.

AO = alumnium oxide (180 grit iirc)
Freezer cold filtration will keep the lipids and waxes on top of the AO. You’ll visually see it.

2 Likes

2:1 ethanol to crude is going to be a little thick for filtering. Between 8-10:1 is going to treat you much better.

4 Likes

Thank you, does the theory I’m using sound ok?
Diluting the crude, Winterize and then filter again? I don’t have any type of media to run it through rn.
I might need to get a smaller filtration system to play some r&d as the pig system I have rn its huge.

I believe I have spd part down. Not too sure of myself as each time (4th overall) I’ve run into an issue.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

not only will 2:1 be hard to filter as @cannabuilder points out, you would likely also drop cannabinoids at -80C (which is where your dry ice bath will get you).

somewhere between 5:1 and 10:1 is a safer range to winterize. Ethanol Ratio During Winterization - #2 by Future

@elgallonegro what was your head temp and Vac level?

@TrillOrganics I don’t understand how a vac leak could cause distillate in the cold trap.

at least not with the mantle at 210C.

can you enlighten me? (no experience with leaking glass :crossed_fingers:)

1 Like

Thank you @cyclopath I used an 8:1 ratio.
My head was at 40c the whole time which was another nono that I was doing. The vac level fluxutate around 480-500 micro.

@cyclopath I’ve seen a leak or three that basically just ended up sucking the good stuff all the way into the pump. I guess all those leaked air molecules plus high temps allowed enough distillate to make it all the way through.

I have to say they were relatively large leaks. It must have been Helen Keller’s day to set everything up

If you ever want to talk about how much fun cleaning distillate out of KF25 bellows can be let me know…

3 Likes

All good advice above. I have successfully winterized in a regular freezer (ideally a chest freezer because they’ll get down to -10 or -20). Just give it at least a full 24hrs in there in the small jar. For the sake of R&D and you don’t have any other filtration gear, simply put a funnel with a coffee filter in a second empty jar and let it gravity drip. It should be pretty apparent if you need to winterize the rest. If you get that far and do need to go bulk filtration, I can give you some pointers on using the pig to do it well.

3 Likes

@cannabuilder so for an r&d run
Did an about 8/9:1 ratio in a 15 gallon delta keg.
So ruffly 7L:~50L had to leave some space to agitate ( keg lifts/presses/stands/shakes for two hours, basically sore as shit right now) since we dont have a stirring contraption.
Then left it dry ice for 10hrs and filtered it through the pig

This was our results :face_vomiting:
A little bit of the crude was settled at the bottom, ~100g of crude
Do you think this method is ok?
I do need a way to think of how to stir
Also using stage 3 summit paper .5 micron
My bad if it question rhetorical but winterizing is needed for sure right?
Now I’m just curious on how much yields going to be now.

2 Likes

Hello Elgallonegro, on the filtration side, we do have filters that might be more efficient at removing particulate. Your batch size is small (~ 12.5gallons) so I would use a small bag and bag housing as the first step. You can use various micron ratings, stepping them down as you go. Say 25um, 10um, 5um. Then for your color removal, we have carbon cartridges for that. Just let us know if you need help on these. Thanks, Greg gregh@heyesfilters.com

2 Likes

You pretty much nailed it. And you are definitely filtering a bunch of wax out and should keep it going. Are you using any filter aid with the pig? The pig has 7" plates, right? Mixing in 4-6 cups (start small) should give you a bit more filtering depth and can probably get through at least 1-1/2 kegs per filter run. Don’t push it too hard and clog it mid run, I know you have a lot to get through. This is a great source for filter aid (super cheap shipping): Filter Aid

2 Likes

Looks good to me. 0.5 micron is too small. You don’t need this small for wax.
Also, you don’t need -80C, just leave it at -40 for longer time, the result is the same.
Good luck

1 Like