Polyscience Immersion Coil for CLS Recovery?

Does anyone else here use one of these for hydrocarbon extraction and recovery?

I was thinking of putting that coil inside isopropyl in a makeshift container for my collection and then I was thinking of modifying a triclamp connection to hold the coil and have it sit in some isopropyl that’s surrounding my recovery tank.

I really want to cut out dry ice and this is legit the cheapest option I got when it comes to purchasing over building.

What I wanna know is, does anyone else use this for a cls chiller?

I can’t specifically speak for a CLS chiller but I have two cold traps on my distillation unit and I use one of these that go down to about -80 to -90C in each of my cold traps filled with isopropyl. They definitely keep things cold and I have been using them now for probably a good 5-6 months with no issues in regards to cooling.

When I first purchased them, one of the two had some technical issue, but polysci was very quick in shipping me a new one while I just sent back the one that wasn’t cooling.

I was previously using dry ice and solvent in my cold traps and I can say that this is a significant improvement in convenience as well as not having to stock and store dry ice

2 Likes

That’s affirming to know that it helps with chilling to that low.

1 Like

I think it depends on the model. They have a couple different ones with different temperature ranges. I purchased 2 of the -80 units and they seem to hold up their end of the bargain.

1 Like

It might work with butane/ propane since it’s not dealing with the same temps as shortpath or roto.

1 Like

Looks like a source of ignition to me…

Not really the right tool, but you could make it work if you insist. Doesn’t have a whole lot of cooling power. Designed for the task @Zoraku is using it for.

Dunno how many times I need to state that a LINK is usually way more useful than a damn screenshot.

Especially when you’re too lazy to READ that which exists on the page you just visited, and need someone else to point it out….

At $1900 you get very little actual cooling

How much heater are you using? (Probably 1000-1500W). Is it enough?

Why would you use LESS cold than heat and expect to come out even?

I suggest looking in the classifieds for a REAL chiller…

7 Likes

Nope. In an SPD cold trap it is cooling ALMOST NOTHING. (Seriously, how much do you retrieve from your cold trap?!?).

Sure, it can get 100mls that cold, over the course of your run.

Now try and condenses gallons of butane with it…

It takes 165Btu to condense a lb of butane.

10lbs would be 1650Btu. Which is about 5700w.hr

A 150W “chiller” is gonna take on the order of 40hrs to achieve that.

K?

Cause refs matter: Butane - Thermophysical Properties

6 Likes

To further support what @cyclopath is saying, our cold traps on our distillation unit are only maybe a couple liters of isopropyl at most, and we’re just cooling residual vapors or some volatile terpenes during a strip. They are not put under any kind of serious cooling load.

2 Likes

Well, my good homie. I used two of those in one trap once i realized one wasn’t enough, cause i had an extra due to buying the aux trap from ls and that allowed me to run with no dry ice for years. So one no, 2 yes.

My cold trap was ice.

3 Likes

Ok, so not really enough cold for a cold trap (20l rig?!?).

You getting this @GroovyOctopusLabs (NOT THE RIGHT TOOL….again).

1 Like

Ok, to further further the point, it was a 5l setup with dual coils. So yeah, just one will not be doing the trick.

1 Like

Just to be clear. I’m all for using equipment in manners the OEM never dreamed of.

However, that requires an in-depth understanding of both the task at hand & what the tool you’re considering throwing at the problem was actually designed to do.

Waving spoons at windmills will only get you so far…

6 Likes

I understand not the tool for the job. Do you have a suggestion by chance of a tool for the job. I am also interested as I just tried if buy dry ice. I seen this one : IP-100 Low Temperature Cooler, 3" Rigid Coil Probe | PolyScience

And thought it could be used but some to find out that is also a no. So there anything out there?
For using 100% butane or even mix

Dry ice or an actual chiller other than that, no

Can you explain in the actually chiller part? Do you have examples of chiller? What chiller gets to -109f

I’m assuming then I would need a jacketed coil like : Jacketed Condensing Coil / Wort Chiller – Open Source Steel

to run the chiller is that correct ?

I mean a chiller like an actual chiller that’s not attached to a coil. One that’s ran by direct lines to the jacket.

Something like this:

The price point of most chillers that get down to -40°c, -60°c, -80°c, -110°c are not worth it if you’re doing small runs and aren’t seeing a profit.

Unless you’re doing multiple 10lb closed loop runs in a day or are running a cannabinoid distillation apparatus and are making a profit that can return your money you spent on a chiller, its absolutely pointless to buy one.

2 Likes

“Is that chiller gonna break before I use 20,000 lbs of dry ice” is the next thing I’d be thinking about…

5 Likes

20k of d.i. Is how much in price though?

Warranty on product need at least a year

I got a basic example of chiller

If I can use to even refuse the amount of dry ice I need them that is ok. If anyone was asking I just have a 10lb cls but I have a lot extractions to do and I can only do it if the weather permits. I really want to go chiller route due to last time weather was good for extraction days and then it started to rain. Good thing I had dry ice in totes for rental so dry ice 500lb lasted a week of rain but I don’t want that to happened again, still a lot wasted.

1 Like

Damn ok thank you way more then I wanted to spend but fuck it. That is a actually chiller I gotcha

Thank you thank you

2 Likes