Polyester felt particulate (tampon tek)

Hi Guys,
I have a Friend @Han that is having some issues with the so called “tampon tek”
Or rather filtration through polyester filter felt. I know a few other here do this regularly.
@TwistedStill or @CollectiveObjective I think you were the originator of the idea, correct me if I am wrong. What Do you think is going on here, he says he can see particles of the filter felt in the product here:

What is your guys take?

5 Likes

I think @CollectiveObjective was one of the tampon tek og’s too.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong!

2 Likes

I will include him in the top post

2 Likes

Def could be filter felt.
A fresh tampon each run helps mitigate, but these days if im using this type of filter (like for quick/dirty r/d) Ive been playing with using the felt type as a last stage of the filter to minimize felt contact with the bulk of the adsorbents, glass wool on top so far seems to not shed but Im not running these every day for retail consumption so jury still out on that improvement.

Seeing your jar this morning makes me wonder if the felt should even be used at all, especially for a product going direct to the consumer out of the machine, with no final sub micon filtration downstream as insurance…

If not on a tight budget, structured depth filters def help mitigate this issue. Theres lots of sintered filter options that are not 2D disks that ive fallen in love with for the bulk removal while maintaining fast flow thru.

3 Likes

I posted somewhere before, but if you do not use some type of steel filtration underneath the tampon tek it definitely can leave small particles in product. When i run i have my felt rolled up sitting in a 1 micron sintered filter followed by pro pak distillation packing in a 0.5 micron sintered filter

5 Likes

From what he told me this was through a sintered disk?

I saw duda diesel makes a PTFE coated version as well that shouldn’t shed particulates besides where you cut it right?

2 Likes

It still sheds fuzz from top side. Only one side is coated

4 Likes

I could be wrong but I believe they only make PTFE coated bags. The sheets are just heat singed on one side.

3 Likes

Folks laying down some good points here, cutting can contribute, and ive followed the tampon with a support upstream and downstream, and neither PP or PTFE should ever be part of a dabbable product at any concentration - would be worse than adsorbent left in finished oil. If consumable without further processing id finish with a dedicated sub mic filter just in case shedding has occured
I ve def noticed damage and indications of shedding on tampons used multiple times and during the first trials without a layer to contact the bulk, but never seen particles at the quantity in the video. Probably multiple contributors to get that much shedding, but def an issue here that needs solving.

2 Likes

I run a final 5 micron mesh filter as my last step, post felt, which seems to grab anything the felt sheds. I do run the .5um PTFE felt as my last step, but no longer do a depth filter with rolled felt. I am able to hold them flat in a 25um to .5um staged set up.

If one isnt diligent about cleaning their collection appropriately, getting lint from rags in the pour is definitely a thing. I use a pint free rag to minimize this effect myself.

5 Likes

So he is using the ptfe coated version.

2 Likes

I go back and fourth with myself on the use of PTFE in a process like this, dont get me wrong - I love me some PTFE based gaskets/seals, but one of my vendors who sells to some large nic e-juice processors has told me they have moved away from any PTFE in contact with their process in case of PTFE contamination of a product destined for vaping. Well maintained gaskets I see less of an issue with but the PTFE felt was first to mind cause of the structural nature of that particular format, which in my mind seems to have greater risk than a gasket.

Granted, this was an anecdote from a vendor, and I have yet to find any sorta E-Juice processing standards stating PTFE should be avoided but it makes sense to me…hopefully within 5yrs we will have some standards officiated for “dab safe” materials. A poorly teflon taped threaded connection also seems like a big risk for contamination of end products if were drilling down on it.

• PTFE contamination could be a “CRC haters” worst nightmare come true compared to mineral adsorbent contamination.
4 Likes

This was stacked over 5u and 1u sintered disk. Again post filtered with 2 5u mesh gaskets stacked in line.

Once I ran it through a ton of filters over and over it got down to non eye visible concentrations until rotovap down to a semi murky oil.

1 Like

This is depth filter style. On top of a 5u disk with a 1u below it. Again filtered through 2 5u mesh screens.

That jar was collected from a clean column, straight into the bottle.

If that is the case the fine have to be submicron, yes?

2 Likes

Yup submicron. The 1u is a killa with a blowby prevention ring to make sure nothing gets around the sintere. So it’s definitely passing through 1 micron.

I tried to filter it out in a separate cartridge as well but still pasted through.

1 Like

if it got thru a submicron filter then we may need to be real cautious about using this tek for consumption. This has me wondering about the same issue happening with biomass socks as well…granted they dont have a flood of abrasive particles its holding back but still…

1 Like

PTFE is incredibly chemically resistant and is used for things like septa covers in analytical chemistry. Unless the process is in the 400C+ temperature range, I wouldn’t be concerned at all. Honestly the polyester itself is less resistant by a large margin

2 Likes