Polishing a turd (how to take a 5% -6% CBD biomass and turn it into a 60% + crude using a centrifugal extraction.)

Who has pointers on how to take a 5% -6% CBD biomass and turn it into a 60% + crude using a centrifugal extraction.

Should i be doing shorter soak times with more lbs of biomass per gallon to solvent?

Oil is passing fats and lipids test but potency is consistently low 50%.

2 Likes

What ratio solvent : bio are you running I’d recommend mi I I’m 10:1+ soak for 30 min minimum.

1 Like

Have you tried It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more

Our last crude tested at >80%

3 Likes

More solvent and soaking is horrible advice.

Those are NOT ethanol solvent/biomass ratios nor timeframes.

You should be able to manage 1lb/liter. In less than 10min if you’ve got decent flow.

Only time I’ve had problems was with post hydrocarbon extraction biomass.

Couldn’t get the goods to budge…

Tell us EXACTLY what you’re doing @Pluto

9 Likes

Thank you for correcting that, been too long since I did etoh washing and the place I was at was running that. :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

150 lb centrifuge filled with 150 gallons of -20 ethanol in 120 seconds . Agitate the centrifuges for 8-10 minutes and then drain and spin dry . Flowing through a bag filter on the way back to solvent holding tank.

Repeating this process 1-2 more times depending on potency of biomass.

Final rations are usually 2-1 or 3-1 lbs of biomass to gallons of solvent

1 Like

3 full fuges of solvent per load of biomass?!?

Or 2-3 bags of biomass into one fuge full of solvent?

No way that 1000-1500lb rotor can effectively be used as an “agitator”.

When was the last time you checked the proof on your solvent?

The potency on your spent material?

2 Likes

We have 4 150lb fuges.

Solvent tank to fuge 1 , into fuge 2 into solvent tank

As that’s going on

Solvent tank to fuge 3 to fuge 4 then back to solvent tank.

Repeat for a second time.

400 gallons of ethanol total to extract anywhere from 550-600 lbs per run

1100-1300 lbs total after second run then to solvent recovery .

Usually 2-2.5% cbd left in spent.

Want to do the virgin wash during spin but need to figure out layout

1 Like

I like to sparge it 3 times to remove air and saturate. Just a stainless scaled up version of bucket tech before going through the fuge

Does the 150 gallons of ethanol get the bags covered or washing over them when performing the “agitation” which I’m assuming is a slow spin?

Do you have the ability to monitor ethanol temp in centrifuge, or as its being pumped out? Is centrifuge jacketed/cooled?

Is potency testing being performed after solvent purge and decarb? Have you done a solvent % test on the crude?

IMO you need to be closer to -40 with ethanol, especially if its denatured to get higher crude potency, as you’ll pull the same amount of what you want (cannabinoids) and less of what you don’t (fats/lipids/sugars/other crap)

3 Likes