Pipe (Spool/Column) Hangers?

Wondering what folks are using for hanging tubes.

I personally like the Behringer style sold by Austenitex, XD, and https://sanitaryfittings.us/product/threaded-mount-tube-hangers?

but they’re not cheap, and the boss wants to know what’s wrong with the ones BVV & OSS sell (for a fraction of the price).

I don’t really like either design for tubes that are going to be mounted and demounted on a regular basis.

what other options are there out there?

Favorites?

@Graywolf? @GreenMachine_Consult?

4 Likes

Hi,
Currently using behringer for the clamps, best option I have found.
The bvv clamps do work, in my opinion they are ugly and have pipe threads to mount them.
Do you need a lot of them?

Other option is to weld tabs onto the column?

7 Likes

https://hardwarefactorystore.com/collections/best-sellers/products/tri-clamp-clover-stainless-steel-ferrule-spool-clamp-w-1-2-stand-support?variant=33789758374026

I use these cuz they are cheap, and in reality the mnpt fitting was easier to work with in my situation

And my columns don’t come off the wall, as you stated, would suck doing that with these…

5 Likes

Y not ratchet straps?

6 Likes

good point!

1 Like

There’s a piece welded to the frame that hugs the spool (it’s a half moon kinda deal) and then the ratchet strap holds her in

2 Likes

Welding the mounts to the columns is a very effective solution. Takes more skill that welding the mount to the rack ( or bolting it).

I’m not a huge fan of mounting and demounting columns. I’ve done it, but that was long ago.

In this particular case, I only need a couple of 4” clamps, I salvaged two of the behringer clamps, and it would a shame to have the ugly blue things on the almost unused machine across the room.

Glacier tanks are now selling hangars made of & for triclamp.

3 Likes

got a link?

This makes me think of a belt wrench for oil filters

2 Likes

https://www.glaciertanks.com/system-racks-clamps.html
seems pretty pimpin
Ive always wanted to use triclamp spools as a mounting rack, but with the spools connecting to the material tube jacket as a way to mount the material tube as well as route the jacket fluid seamlessly.

2 Likes

Yeah, then there are the economy ones

https://www.glaciertanks.com/vessel-clamps-vc-econ-g800.html

Where the column hangars are high-pressure tri-clamps

Seems like the single pin clamp version of this might work for 2” through 4” that needed frequent demounting…

3 Likes

We used to make them like that a long time ago, was sketchy so we discontinued it.
https://www.indofabsolutions.com/product/c-r-c-strut-clamp-/15?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=true

3 Likes

HFS welds mounts to their larger columns, I just wish they made them in 316.

The downside to these is it looks like they don’t mount to a square tube, the round tube thing looks like it could rotate.

3 Likes

I was looking for the fancy hardcoated aluminum clamps we made for our 15ksi vessels but I don’t have any handy

BUT

My favorite hacky way to mount a spool: get an appropriately sized riser clamp and instead of the bolts use a piece of althread. Cut EMT to a little longer than the radius of the pipe and screw the allthread into some strut nuts on a horizontal piece of strut. Put a fender washer on, then the emt, then another washer and then the riser clamp. Works like a charm up to about 12" OD

3 Likes

looks cheaply done bc bvv is out these atm so I made some from square tubing the next size.up

I’m gonna cut these off and re weld on me piece square tubing that I leave a lil more back on it

after welding the ugly pipe threads to the mount I made it slips over the rack like so and secures it

the new brackets I cut will be a lil longer on the back so I can drill 2 holes for set screws if it need it to out pressure on the rack from the back the hanger

a better welder could made way better

copy.these

then u can slip it columns on and off w quick loosen or tighten…leave these mounted to the column? I’ll paint it when done to look pretty again…maybe sand on the weld a lil before painting the additions

3 Likes

Two issues. Support the weight and holding it vertical. We accomplished both on a Terpenator by attaching the dump valve to the frame with tabs and clamping the column to it.

Attached is a picture showing the valve mounting.

You could accomplish about the same thing without a valve if you just had a projection (fork) to set the column on, and a vee block with strap above centerline to hold it vertical.

3 Likes

As a clamping scenario after supporting the weight, look at Destaco clamps for quick clamping options.

Push Clamps - Straight Line Action Clamps | DESTACO Look at this one if two were mounted so as to be on opposite sides above centerline of the column, so as to lock it in place in its vee block

2 Likes

I wish I’d use these…I. could have just drilled a hold then slipped in through and held it in place w nut and washer
:man_facepalming:

1 Like

I had these made ill have em live on my site in a few days
They are great for lightweight spools like crcs which need to be removed constantly

8 Likes