Pigment Tracker

That’s a good price poit on the unit.

1 Like

I will be back in LA in two weeks for the Cannabis Science and Technology conference! Anyone interested in checking out the pigment trackers feel free to reach out

6 Likes

There is a free event at Xtractor Depot the evening of May 20. Come check us out and test your extract at our table!

We will be raffling off at least one Pigment Tracker!

7 Likes

This wild be a great demo in your booth with maybe 3 or 4 samples.

1 Like

Raffling off a couple pigment trackers at my workshop next weekend, too

7 Likes

Yes!

Attendees of the Upstate Gardens and @Dred_pirate event will be entered into a raffle. One tracker will be raffled for each day of the event

6 Likes

@Zack_illuminated
@AlexSiegel

This acid base discussion is fantastic.
Working with various base manipulated alcohol/water systems
And using various acids to precipitate the cannabinoic acids
I can say…the detailed discussion of the multiple pathways for degradation is very helpful as a lot of s+++t can pop up out of nowhere!
@AlexSiegel , Pigment Tracker, .nice work…and your detailed description is helpful
In understanding the design principle and ultimate utility.
Looking at the form factor…it appears you may have considered the possibility of a second DAD inline for absorbance? Is this a future added feature? 270 nM absorbance for Cannabinoic Acids would certainly be a plus in non-distillate operations.

2 Likes

We have plans to release multiple other sensors using this “DAD” style if the applications work out and prove useful. We just need to bring all the parts together with the right lights @pdxcanna

8 Likes

As a businessman, I understand the work, efforts, thoughts and monies
Expended on this project…wishing you great success.

Reos

5 Likes

I want to share that the Pigment Tracker software is compatible with almost anything that will run windows 10. Here you can see it running on a tablet that cost $140 on Amazon. It’s a super shit tablet but you can easily use it if needed

8" Windows Tablet, Windows 10 Home Tablets Quad-Core Processor, 2.4G WiFi,1280x800 IPS HD Display Screen, 4000mAh, 2GB RAM, 64GB Storage, 128GB Expand Dual Camera, Bluetooth,OTG Amazon.com

4 Likes

Can it run on other OS?

This would be good to try too.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Windows-Support-Bluetooth-AIOEXPC/dp/B08PF6K5NZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=1ENGOMIIQLSB9&keywords=windows+10+hdmi+pc+stick&qid=1652730720&sprefix=windows+10+hdmi+pc+stick%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-5 or similar hdmi mini pc

1 Like

Hey everyone,
Quick post here to demonstrate how the pigment tracker can be used during distillation.
During distillation contaminants are remediated from oil using mainly boiling point. Some pigments do boil over with THC and provide the distinct yellow color we all know in distillate. Other pigments, such as chlorophyll, may be completely removed from crude oils using a single pass distillation.

We expect that a distilled oil sample that starts with chlorophyll will end the distillation without it. The Pigment Tracker is used to easily validate that the distillation process “worked” and that chlorophyll is no longer present in the product.

I’ll try to upload a new one of these every week for a few weeks. If there are any specific pigment remediation processes you want me to test, feel free to ask.

12 Likes

The glass excitation peak is larger on the crude than on the distillate even though there are more pigments in the sample. So it really can’t be used as an “internal standard” then?

1 Like

Good eye. In the data sheet I label the dilutions. If you look there, the distillate sample is 10x the concentration. At the same concentration youll see better consistency with the relative height of the excitation peak. At a .5% dilution though distillate has almost no peaks on the sensor due to the low pigment content

3 Likes

The v2 Pigment Tracker is almost here. Improvements to note:
-improved quality of Pigment Tracker hardware
-improved sensitivity (5x increased)
-similar resolution (<20nm)
-improved repeatability

Anyone who has purchased a v1 Pigment Tracker may contact me here or on instagram to arrange for a FREE upgrade. They will receive the v2 sensor. I feel that everyone who has supported the project up until now deserves to share in the improvements. I’m happy to be able to keep pushing it forward along with @pdxcanna who has continued to provide exceptional design work.

16 Likes

Sometimes we don’t need more advanced tools than our eyes in order to confirm that chlorophyll is in the extract. Other times we do! This is some ethanol crude that soaked at room temperature for a while.

Under white light (normal) chlorophyll is green.

Under UV light chlorophyll glows red!

Using the Pigment Tracker we can confirm that the red light is producing the distinct chlorophyll double peak. We can also see a relatively small amount of blue light being created. The blue light are the carotenoids and xanthophylls which are likely to end up in our end product in some amount. When the chlorophyll is removed the blue light from the carotenoids relatively increases to a large peak!

6 Likes

Dissolve a blue diamond and see what pigments it shows to get an idea of concentration

10 Likes

I’d love to see how it effects the results. For science

If the blue is a fluorescent molecule under UV it will show up as a peak

Maybe though it would interact with the blue light from trace carotenoids and amplify or cancel out all the signal. Hard to know without getting our hands on some

4 Likes

you’d likely get some info from the IR fingerprint region…

1 Like

The near IR region is displayed on the far right. It’s a great region for chlorophyll because chlorophyll fluoresces red under a lot of wavelengths. I think we could excite at up to like 550nm and still see some NIR light fluoresce from chlorophyll.

The red glow can be useful for very fast field studies of chlorophyll activity using just a camera and the sun as excitation.

Going bigger this study uses a spectrometer in space to measure chlorophyll activity on earth also using the sun as the excitation light.

@Marmoris edit: did you mean the IR spectrum of the blue diamonds?

4 Likes