Piecing together a small SPD - what do you think?

Note that the 153 dollar one has a Dewar id of 37mm. That’s a pretty small unit

1 Like

Hahaha you’re right I didn’t even notice. I contacted them for some custom glass as well!

I’ve got them pricing an 80mm ID unit. I imagine probably in the 300-400 range

3 Likes

Okay, not trying to hijack this thread but I want to get a little insight on my set up ideas so far. I was able to score an Alcatel Adixen 2021i off Ebay for $300 used, this is the start of my investments, $448 with warranty, shipping and an oil mist filter. I’m only looking to get a 2L setup to start practicing with, and found the glassware for $345 at a local science store in Lakewood. It looks like pretty decent glass, and I can just walk right in an inspect the quality. If the glass can handle a deep vac, I should be good right? Would hate to encounter an implosion.

Here’s the lsiting;
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Short-Path-Distillation-Apparatus-2440-joints-P17389.aspx?ItemId=2755429&Options=409

That just looks like a resold China kit. This one is cheaper with what looks like a better head design for cannabinoids

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laboratory-Apparatus-Glassware-Short-Path-Distillation-Kit-2000ml/223313564364

1 Like

Hahaha, I think I might go with that one, looks pretty solid. I also asked Terry for a quote on a 2L setup w/ cold trap. But overall I’m just trying to set up a short path for cheap so I can get experience on my own time and maybe process larger runs in the future, I don’t want to take too many short cuts and have glass in my face! Everyone knocking China glass on here has me super paranoid :sweat_smile:

Na man a lot of ppl on here run China glass. If I don’t go southeastern lab glass I’ll go Chineseive already got my components picked out for Chinese setup. Eventually I’ll upgrade bit by bit once I’ve learned the ropes

1 Like

i can post up my links…like i said…i paid under $350 for all my glassware. All new. Feel free to ask… I got my system under 100 microns without flying glass…

China isnt the same china of the past. I grew up in the 80s seeing the famine china pictures. this country is a super power now. They dont want to injure us bro. They make good shit most of the time. Maybe not perfect, but certainly useable

4 Likes

That would be greatly appreciated! I wanna get a working setup as soon as I can. Pump is on its way, now I just need everything else.

1 Like

ill post it up in my thread so people that have followed along can see what i bought and what im buying.

2 Likes

Anyone running an Alcatel 2033 pump? Found a good deal on one locally…

Check this bad boy i just found…Im emailing them to get some of those cold traps and pieces. Thats looks like just the setup we are all looking for give or take.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5L-Short-Path-Distillation-Set-with-2-Cold-Trap-The-Flange-40MM-/223310453399?hash=item33fe571a97

3 Likes

Badass find!

right…give or take a few little pieces…that thing is bad ass. I know the chinese are listening now…HAHA

4 Likes

I might just contact them for a custom order using some of those pieces. Swap out the head and that 40mm flanged cold trap for another 29/42 joint

1 Like

Thanks to your Mega List I’m sitting at $1,115 for the rest of the 2L setup, down to the little parts, that includes shipping and any available warranties. Bullseye gauge is the most expensive thing on there at $400. The glassware was just $240 altogether including the cold trap. About to pull the trigger!

3 Likes

Just remember to ask the seller for a bigger trap. My trap was 250mm and $68 too. If he don’t have that size. I’d pay for a bigger one rather than a smaller one.

Glad my list is gonna help you.

2 Likes

What is the downside to a smaller cold trap? Would I be able to run relatively well with a 200mm - 250mm one? I may not have enough money to invest in a 1L Cold trap

The downsize is it might not protect your pump as well and you might need to constantly fill it will dry ice.

1 Like

Just get a used yellow jacket 69075 guage for like 150 its as accurate as a bullseye it’s the same sensor

4 Likes