Piecing together a small SPD - what do you think?

i have 3 and 4 way kf25 adapters and 1000mm kf25 bellow hoses which should be back in stock early next week. I also have some of the kf25 to 1/8" npt if you using a vacuum gauge like a bulleye. I think thats all i have. I had a bunch of extra clamps and gaskets too…but they are misplaced right now.

wish i had more…but im a one man show just trying to be able to feed my family. I will have some cool shit this year and a bit more selection.

7 Likes

I might be hitting you up for some of those items here soon hopefully

3 Likes

Sounds exactly like me, everything pieced together from ebay, all Chinese glass. Do this as a hobby. I want to upgrade to full bore. But might be overkill for my system. Any thoughts on it ?
Currently 500ml Chinese mantle(faithful), quark 2l head, dual cow, and gl14 cold trap, purge vacuum is cps vps 6cfm and primary vacuum is alcatel2021i 14.5 cfm

Here is what I am looking at for upgrades. this is a 5l head would this be to big? Thanks

Screenshot_2019-01-10-11-07-19-1|500x500

Where’d you find that stopper from? And I don’t think that it would be overkill. Better vacuum is best, from what I gather

1 Like

I found it Google search kf25 to 24/40, I an wondering about the 5l head on a 500ml system.

hahaha…we are cheapie brothers @Poizzin cause ive looked at some of those parts too. My setup is 500ml and i run an alcatel too…LMAO

First, ive seen that cold trap for months even before i bought my setup. How does that work without an input and out. I see where there is a spot for the RBF and the output for the pump…But what about the input?

I second Dred Pirate as to where you got the stainless kf25 to 24/40? I imagine @soxhlet can make that outta ptfe which might be safer on the glass.

id like to run a much better head on my unit too. Im thinking of calling rocco and asking him for a deceit 2l head instead of going 5l

Awesome post and im literally in this exact same boat so id love to see what you come up with!!

3 Likes

I like that take off valve. That may be what I need to complete my mini system. I could go right after that to a bellow to that cold trap to the pump.

The 3 way adapter is the in and out cold trap goes on top, valve goes to the front and recovering flask below

Damn! All that for $700, that’s a hell of a deal! @Roguelab Thanks for that suggestion. I think I’ll put one of those gauges just after the condenser and the bullseye after the cold trap. @Poizzin If you use that adapter, I would seriously consider putting a PTFE bellow in between the steel and glass. The steel is going to expand faster and much more than the glass under heat, and I would imagine that would put you at risk for cracking your glass.

@Dred_pirate Would going with K25 all the way around be a bad call for a 2L setup? Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the measurement of these adapters, but k25 is larger than k16, right? Or is it measured in gauge rather than mm?

1 Like

KF25 is bigger that KF16. KF40 is bigger than them both. @coppertop Where else on a shortpath can you add kf25 except the vacuum after the trap.

1 Like

Yes ptfe would be preferred, I have found those also for about the same price. If I could get some drawings, I can get made cheaper, I just haven’t looked for them yet.

1 Like

For what he has, going from the cow to a cold trap, cold trap to pump. I suppose it doesn’t matter, really. Bigger bore would have better vac. I just thought it would work well for his situation. Probably easier to go kf25, parts are easier to source.

@Soxhlet would you be able to make the plugs with ptfe. I would already be interested in a few, out the gate

1 Like

I was thinking to use those GL to KF adapters from LS and connecting a KF25 hose from the cow to the cold trap.

2 Likes

I think it is in MM measurements.

@Dred_pirate Just ordered the Adixen 2021i pump. It has KF 25 connections so I think I’ll start by just adapting the GL lines to KF25 (using bellows), and then depending on how that goes I’ll switch out from the cow to the inline distributor like you suggested, and then rig together a cold trap that uses 24/40 connections.

Getting closer to the final setup… now just need to settle on a mantle (lots of choices there), cold trap(s) and gauges!

2 Likes

Man I’ve seen those 2021 pumps cheap as balls. Where are the rebuild kits online? Anyone got a link

1 Like

why you think i bought 3x of them…they were cheap as fuck! You can find minor rebuild kits for under $150 and the major rebuild kit i think has the vanes cost around $375

Minor rebuild kit and parts

https://www.capvac.com/2021i/

Major rebuild kit

Plus all the parts you will ever need…

3 Likes

I got mine for $470! Shipping was $100 though.

1 Like

I bought 3x for $760 total shipped.

3 Likes

Holy shit! You beat me on that big time haha

1 Like