Piecing together a rotovap oof!

Rotate the motor assembly so the motor is pointing up, then rotate the condenser assembly so the receiver outlet is pointed down. This puts the condenser on the left instead as on the right as you show it.

2 Likes

Thank you, I did exactly that feel like a dufus lol. I got it in the mail and threw it right on in prematurely thought I was fucked lmao.

I just realized there’s no condenser on this unit so it’s more like a roto-retort with vacuum?

I’m going to have to put you in the remedial class.
That coil shaped thing is the condenser.
You have a one piece unit instead of the more conventional two piece units.
That is a precision Swiss made piece and there is a guy on Future that stocks parts.
Try not to fuck it up.
( I taught at the U of M so it is mandatory that I ridicule you, feel humiliated but pay your tuition)

3 Likes

I refurbished buchi rotos for a few years. Lmk if you need any help. I practically have the part numbers memorized, lol.

2 Likes

Well my rule of thumb when I try to buy anything for soemthing specific I usually look up the model number and go from there.

1 Like

When I said the unit had no condenser I was referring to the video of the DIY roto @Waxplug1 posted. Still do have a lot to learn though that’s for sure. I’ve looked into distribution heads for rotovaps but it seems I would’ve needed to buy a shorter vapor duct plus incur the further expense of both pieces of glass. I’m definitely scared I’m gonna break this thing it seems so fragile.

1 Like

I heard @htking and @david can make custom glass if needed

3 Likes

It’s fragile in the way if you drop it you’re fucked but not in the way that you cant go outside and use a garden hose on low water setting to clean it out. The vapor duct you mean the glass piece between the bf and the receiving flask? Yeah I broke that part by accident with my 5L bf once -[so this just happened] fortunately only the tube and not the flask broke, those tubes are like 50$-150$.

1 Like

If you can’t find an inexpensive used OEM Buchi vapor duct, buy replacements from Chemglass. Ace glass units aren’t as sturdy, breakage much more common with the 5L flasks we run.

1 Like

USALabs has ptfe ones for cheap

3 Likes

@Xtractek I got this little guy in a lot of rotovap part seems relatively unused but when you turn it on the motor whirred but no movement. Any ideas before I hack it open blindly? Google comes up with basically zilch on this when I search “buchi roty-s”.

I’ve worked with almost all of the buchi models, but have never touched one of those. Sorry bud

1 Like

Thanks for the response probably gonna pull it apart next couple days and see what I can see

Post pics when you do.

I sure will, hopefully I don’t fuck it up would be nice to have a spare around, plus this one can just hook up to any old lab stand which I find dope.

1 Like

Look for a loose connection to the circuit board.

1 Like

I will for sure, this unit is weird it has no adjustment knob just an on off switch. When you switch it on the motor is making noise just no movement. I think it might be mechanical.

Here is another DIY roto just for fun!

2 Likes

Here we go I removed the two screws pictured, pulled the motor out it has a “cork screw” type gear which runs a gear that turns the shaft. Super basic design. Nothing was noticeably wrong so I put it back together tested again and it works! I’m guessing it was slightly misaligned. I think it would be cool to get something custom made so it could hook up to a standard condenser and maybe try a variac for speed control.

2 Likes