Phones, Softwares, general chat

Just do what OG’s do. Have a pre set location with your cohorts. When you need to talk some shit you call your people and say let’s get some coffee. Both of you know that means leave your device at home and meet at the spot. If you don’t trust buddy like you known him since you was 5 get a transmitter detector. If he is wearing a wire or has a phone on him it vibrates in your pocket.

10 Likes

Love those things, no creepy cameras in hotel rooms either

is there a certain vpn i can run on my cell phone to keep me unknown?

also will a vpn do it all or will i meed other things also

i need to know bc my state nonkosher and i wanna stay safe…

i was told noradvpn but i dont wanna waste money on something that wont help

do i need a burner phone just for stayimg safe on the site

2 Likes

VPNs in my opinion more shady than phone service providers. They promise they’re logging nothing… yet several prominent VPNs who have no logs… have had their logs hacked. Yes they work, but the the safety is only as good as the company you chose.

1 Like

so who do u suggest this isnt ny fortay

Burner phones serve their purpose.

3 Likes

so just dint attacht my name to it or anything like thaf and leave location off

whats good burner ohone that donf ask questions

The kind you buy at self checkout in cash.

Metro / Boost / off brand of name brand usually don’t ask for social / ID

2 Likes

Anything “prepaid” that doesn’t ask for you personal info to sign up. Just load and go

+1 to pgp for basic encrypting of your messages too

1 Like

Also never keep your burner phone with you - for obvious reasons. Offsite storage is good and never bring your regular phone with you when dealing with your burner.

Your ideal burner would be a smartphone you can load a Linux/Android OS onto that is coded to show one screen/os when code a is entered and another when code b is entered

That being said it’s been 5+ years since swim has needed to deal with any of this

3 Likes

You can set up your own VPN, instead of using a VPN service provider.

3 Likes

You can do a lot of things to fall back on your server choice. Which is the safest you ultimately can do. I agree entirely. I was speaking of VPN providers that have been hacked being a repeat occurrence. Most people aren’t DIY types and need 3 steps to solution before they tap out.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-SPH200W-WiFi-Phone-Skype/dp/B001492T5U

Anybody know if these Skype phones are legit? What type of privacy potential does it have? I’ve had one for awhile one of my crazy friends convinced me it was a good buy he bought every last one on eBay. Looks like I made my investment back on it haha it was 60 bucks now its 350

Cant attest to the device but I wouldn’t trust Skype at all. Microsoft is no different than any other tech big company when it comes to your data. I would trust a rootable and rommable Chinese phone with side loading your own apps of choice over this any day.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ and many other forums are your friends for this discussion.

1 Like

@RedundantAlexithymia I forgot how dangerously based you were. +1 on all accounts.

VPN is good for protecting you from someone snooping on your/public/hotel wifi, or from stopping sites like me from knowing your actual IP/location. I just use a temp cloud instance and SSH port forwarding / nftables. None of this really protects you from alphabet bois but adds extra encryption between you and the vpn server. Use tor with tails for anything else.

If you must pay for a VPN and don’t wanna set one up yourself I would read Which VPN Providers Really Take Privacy Seriously in 2023? * TorrentFreak and come to my own conclusion.

Riseup has a free VPN service that can be used in a pinch, though I used to be more involved in the project they got way too political for my taste, they still run good services for a free service, which is super rare so don’t take advantage.

2 Likes

For anyone watching the news there are very important things happening relating to what we’re talking about here. Besides the legal aspect, this is a great example of what I imagine every ‘app’ is already doing. If you can’t see what the software/firmware is doing, chances are YOU are the product.

Also note in RE to proprietary blobs, these are loaded in such a way that its code can never be touched, or updated, and even if you could touch it the code is often signed and your device wont turn on if messed with. This is a level deeper than ring0/your OS root yet remains open to bad actors (see intel vpro/me and amd pro/Out-of-band management, cellular radios). The battle is pretty much entirely lost with new devices made after 2007ish.

I have contemplated being a freelance no questions asked security consultant but idk the legal implications of such. :nerd_face:

1 Like

XDA is the Future4200 of cellular devices

5 Likes

no, xda is better moderated, no offense to the moderation staff here. Their policy is better suited to discussing technical subjects

3 Likes