Ph and refractormeter?

hey all, i have seen people recommend the atago ph meter and refractometer, but is there more affordable ones to start off with, or should i just go ahead and spend the money on atago. thanks in advance all.

What do you need it for ?
For ph reading any digital meter should work ( make sure it s calibrated)
Refracto meters are not very much used in general but as I asked before what’s the intention of use

1 Like

If you’re just starting out I would buy multiples of the cheap refractometers from Amazon.

Judging by your question you’re making gummies, and that material can be hard on refractometers because of how sticky it is. The cheap refractometers don’t last long but if you’re just looking for a tool to get started with, the $25 ones on Amazon will work, just make sure you calibrate them when they come in as I’ve had some come in reading 3-5 points low.

The $800 Atago you’re asking about is a bit of a steep investment if you’re still in the R&D/recipe phase of your production.

2 Likes

I am making them, i bought a 280 refractometer that wrrors out continuously. I guess i need to man up and finish off what i need. One more breville control freak and the meters

Use a analog refractometer, they are more accurate and easier to clean.

We don’t bother with pH checks. Once you’ve got a batch that sets with the amount of acid you added it will scale up or down depending on your batch size, and you’ll end up wasting more time cleaning/calibrating your meter instead of cooking.

1 Like

Do you use flood and scrape?

Yes we do.

You’ll also want to make sure that your refrac has a high enough range to read clearly up into the mid-high 80s.

2 Likes