Performance analytics in cannabusiness

Does anyone else feel that performance analytics for cannabusinesses is an under-represented topic?
I enjoy using google sheets and forms to make it easy to be able to have a clear view of the performance of all employees as well as plants. With a clear view of individual performance it makes it exponentially easier to make ones business vastly more efficient, in turn, more profitable as a whole. Efficiency is key while we continue to be faced the hurdles that the federal government continues to throw in the way of cannabusinesses and will help to ensure the longevity of the people who love this plant and are in this industry for more than just money.
to anyone who would like to discuss analytical processes, I would love to nerd out with you on this subject.
@moveweight
Trim Room Performance Analytics Example - May 2020 Overview.pdf (401.5 KB)

6 Likes

Data Driven Management is the only way.

2 Likes

I LOVE spreadsheets. Or databases. Or databases that generate really great spreadsheet reports. :slight_smile:

Looking at data makes collecting it feel that much better. Half the time I think people don’t even know what they are doing because they are collecting nothing. How can I help you be more efficient if you don’t even know what your current efficiency is?

How many times have I gotten a job where they wanted LEAN or 6S or 5S - and it was a pre-req to getting in the door. But when I got there - the was no design and no measurement happening at all.

Oh to be able to nerd out on how to make things more efficient - one data collection point at time. <3 Glad to know I’m not the only data nerd here.

4 Likes

100% - I love Google Sheets, Excel, Tableau, etc. I think a lot of commonly used metrics (especially for cultivation) are overly generalized and don’t have much of a use, so having the freedom to build a framework specific to a given operator’s processes is amazing. Every plant touching and ancillary industry vertical needs more data analysis, and the high majority of it can’t be copy & pasted from existing industries.

Actually just started planning a higher-level data analysis tool that I think I’ll build with GNU Octave. Absolutely no idea how to monetize it ha, but hey the more data parsing the better.

2 Likes

Thanks for coming and posting. I will aid you on your project goals, I truly think you will find interested parties here who could use your experience on a farm and improving a business with data.

This is why I just give all the data people find helpful I can. I just hope it flourishes.

1 Like

Data and spreadsheets and dashboards, oh my!

Data makes the world go round, whether you pay attention to it or not.

3 Likes

@cannalytics love this!

If anyone has data and needs to visualize or run some analysis I would love to help. Currently studying machine learning and predictive analytics.

I can also help design relational databases.

The future of all manufacturing is going towards task management software for all employees. Data is tracked via a touch screen device with simple inputs for what was just done. The issue with implementing these in cannabis is its a lot of work because someone’s whole job is to set up this software for the workers daily.

Cannabis will get there but with the way the market is currently I’ll stick to my production logs and time sheets I have my employees fill out… it’s just not worth it to invest in that right now.

Ps… If you don’t have to buy a new computer to open excel you aren’t collecting enough data.

1 Like

Data is the new oil. You just can’t decarb it. :wink:

Measuring your process is a beautiful thing and it’s incredibly cheap. If there is one thing I would recommend to the f42k community it would be to start learning about AWS services. The services are only getting cheaper and easier to use / better documentation. Mechanical Turk is essentially AWS technical talent on demand and at min wages. https://www.mturk.com. Quicksight is great for getting started with dashboards.

IoT hardware is super cheap also - a Raspi + Lidar sensor will run you $60 in hardware. From there you could measure daily plant heights and growth rates while experimenting with trying to optimize yields or find efficiencies in the timing of your process. If you wanted to add computer vision (A c920 webcam is fine) then you have enough information for creating a unique identity. Process data and Unique id’s support a high level of upstream traceability for certification and provenance. AWS has a decent blockchain as a service offering for supporting those.

I’ve built analytics platforms and predictive solutions for a few 1B+ corporations, getting started with moving data to AWS is much easier for a small shop than a big corp. Nothing kills an analytics project faster than over-bearing/restrictive corporate data governance policies.

DM’s are open if anyone wants to connect for a consultation.

2 Likes