Pentane sauce tek

1. Extract with hot pentane in a closed loop system. You can even use a trs 21 to dry your columns and recover your gas.

2. Add 5-10 parts methanol to crude for winterization

3. winterize at room temp over alumina and a second pass at maximum of 0 Celsius over alumina.

4. Add full volume of methanol to seperatory funnel and equal volume of clean pentane.

5. drain off methanol layer and 3-20% of pentane layer

6. rotary evaporate pentane at 32 c and -15 hg with some solvent left in solution.

7. pour into small mason jars and purge residual pentane gently

Yields 2 products, methanol crude for Distillation and hydrocarbon sauce.

22 Likes

Any generalized idea on the ratio of crude to sauce (and yes, I am aware that the terpene content of the input plays a large role in the volume of the output)? Notice any difference when extracting different different cannabinoids (if you’ve tried)? Also, are yields comparable to the use of other solvents?

And thank you for sharing! Hope I get to try this one of these days. Looks like fun.

3 Likes

I think pentane has less affinity towards CBDa it stayed on the biomass :wink:

Outsourcing Thc chromatography remediation is now outdated when you can just do two solvent extractions. Follow the initial extraction up with a butane extraction. This is still theory of course but I’m pretty sure it will work. Who doesnt like hydrocarbons

14 Likes

How much of the terpene moves to the Pentane sauce, vs how much remains in the methanol?

1 Like

Im guessing about 70% goes into pentane. The first run I used several volumes of pentane but it was too much work

Easiest way to fine tune this is to isolate CBD and isolate THC. Then get a gang of solvents together and record solubility data. Liquid-liquid extraction is our future …

5 Likes

I use on average 10 liters pentane to a kilo of biomass in order to get thca content from 15% down to 3% on my biomass

2 Likes

Yes but in my case it’s the respective acidic cannabinoids that I need to use as standards

1 Like

I should be able to test this in a couple weeks. But gunna have to research how to run the pentane through a closed loop. :thinking:

1 Like

It loves it in crude, got the sep funnel full now gonna try to crystalize cbda

2 Likes

Proper gaskets and nitro push. The recovery will be the problem. Probably need a roto there

1 Like

@Killa12345 this is why I was asking about the gaskets!:scream::grin::metal:

1 Like

Running pentane is the same as running butane. My pressure on a tank of 10 liters pentane at 180 f was no more than 5 psi

5 Likes

That’s gnarly…I generally run 20-60 psi on a room temp run with butane

2 Likes

No nitro push needed when you’re running warm but maybe with cryo, haven’t explored running cold because you would yield zero thc

4 Likes

In fact, @StoneD maybe that’s how @Bryce made his terps!

3 Likes

I totally found my pentane extractor!!!
https://oilxgreen.com/
Lets say. I have questions…

2 Likes

Hmmm could this be use for heptane?

I don’t see why not. Although it is a pretty simple design for passively moving small amounts of just about anything that still remains a liquid at room temp and boils off. The little coils are cute but I wouldn’t spend $200 on it. I just came across it when looking at pentane extraction, and this came up as a closed loop pentane extraction kit. Not what I was expecting though.

Honestly taking a break from trying going over Hildebrand solubility parameter theories and trying to figure out the TEAS plot I read about on another thread. So I think I might just be losing my mind. We’ll find out shortly :grinning:

1 Like